• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Great Hearing Aids Rip-Off.

Abacus

Most people in Ireland are aware of the horrendous costs to be found here in regard to dental attention and repair/replacement. More than a few of us believe that the expenses arising throughout the Republic are just rigged at the higher level and that the victim in every case is the person getting the work done.

Now it can be revealed that in the Hearing Aid /Audio world the same thing is happening. Within my knowledge two close elderly relatives were in the process of buying hearing aids from a wellknown vendor of such products on the Irish market. The costs involved were in the vicinity of €9,000 (€4,500 each) with a range of trivial sweeteners attached to placate the old purchasers in their unease. Acting on a hunch, relatives stalled the transaction and conducted enquiries in the U.K. across a range of audio outlets.

The results are astonishing. The hearing aids to be supplied here for €4500 per pair, were bought across the water for €1500 per pair with check back and the fullest backup guarantee imaginable. And I'm talking about top of the range, state of the art, top drawer manufacturing. Once the research has been done via the Internet, one would have to be very naive not to see the bluffing and duplicity that is being foisted on our vulnerable old folk, (mostly) as they are lined up to hand over their hard-earned cash for what they think are good value hearing aid products. What the hell is the explanation for this situation and just what exactly is going on ?

Our seniors and others with hearing problems would be well advised to check the costs across in the UK and be prepared to be stunned at the differential.

Last edited:

stopdoingstuff

They tried to sell one to my mother. Like an eejit she agreed. I called up the salesman and told him that she could not possibly have agreed as her hearing was not good enough for her to hear the terms over the phone. He could not possibly object, since if she could hear, why was he trying to sell her something she didn't need? That was that.

GabhaDubh

I am glad someone finally spoke up.

Dedogs

They tried to sell one to my mother. Like an eejit she agreed. I called up the salesman and told him that she could not possibly have agreed as her hearing was not good enough for her to hear the terms over the phone. He could not possibly object, since if she could hear, why was he trying to sell her something she didn't need? That was that.
pure gold mate..... :):):)

Abacus

Since becoming aware of the colossal differentials in costings, I have paid a lot of attention to the marketing techniques use to sell audio equipment and some of it is very subtle indeed. There are many traps for the unwary. Suffice to say that those of our folk who need audio assist aids should be made aware of the gulf in pricing so that they can place their future business where they really are getting an honest response and value for money. Hopefully the public highlighting of the scandalous pricing of these audio products in Ireland will help to divert business to deserving agencies.

Denislaw

The sales people are constantly in the local old folks home, it became such a problem that they've been banned from approaching residents, a lot of ripping off of old folk was going on...I know this cause our elderly next door neighbor was done for €5k for a hearing aid..

Sister Mercedes

Would the HSE not normally pay for these? That would explain why they feel they can charge what they like.

Abacus

Stats...your offering is inappropriate for the serious discussion taking place here but then maybe you have an agenda ?

ShoutingIsLeadership

The logic that I was using, a while back

http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/249808-should-being-drunk-defence-charge-drink-driving.html

statsman

Stats...your offering is inappropriate for the serious discussion taking place here but then maybe you have an agenda ?
Not nearly as inappropriate as the one I replied to. Now, stop shouting, I'm not deaf.

GDPR

Most people in Ireland are aware of the horrendous costs to be found here in regard to dental attention and repair/replacement. More than a few of us believe that the expenses arising throughout the Republic are just rigged at the higher level and that the victim in every case is the person getting the work done.

Now it can be revealed that in the Hearing Aid /Audio world the same thing is happening. Within my knowledge two close elderly relatives were in the process of buying hearing aids from a wellknown vendor of such products on the Irish market. The costs involved were in the vicinity of €9,000 (€4,500 each) with a range of trivial sweeteners attached to placate the old purchasers in their unease. Acting on a hunch, relatives stalled the transaction and conducted enquiries in the U.K. across a range of audio outlets.

The results are astonishing. The hearing aids to be supplied here for €4500 per pair, were bought across the water for €1500 per pair with check back and the fullest backup guarantee imaginable. And I'm talking about top of the range, state of the art, top drawer manufacturing. Once the research has been done via the Internet, one would have to be very naive not to see the bluffing and duplicity that is being foisted on our vulnerable old folk, (mostly) as they are lined up to hand over their hard-earned cash for what they think are good value hearing aid products. What the hell is the explanation for this situation and just what exactly is going on ?

Our seniors and others with hearing problems would be well advised to check the costs across in the UK and be prepared to be stunned at the differential.
And those hearing aids you bought for 1500 sterling left the factory for 400. I checked this out for a relative of mine. The hearing aid retail industry is aimed at the vulnerable and internet illiterate - though often well off enough to pay the ransom asked. It really is a vicious business, but Irish gombeenism lowers it to new depths.

GDPR

Would the HSE not normally pay for these? That would explain why they feel they can charge what they like.

The HSE will only pay for the old fashioned ones that are very large and have poor sound. They don't pay for the digital ones.

gatsbygirl20

Waiting lists with the HSE take up to two years ( I think that is just for the appointment)
When you do get through the system you get very good service as the HSE now only supplies the new digital, state-of-the-art hearing aids

But two years in the life of a 78 year old is a long time. Hearing loss is very embarrassing and isolating for the elderly. Some of the behaviour it triggers ( talking to oneself, misunderstanding, pretending to hear then "forgetting") can be mistaken for dementia or the onset of Alzheimer's.

We went through this whole caper with my elderly mother. Could not wait for the HSE, so got her a private audiologist and private hearing aid supplier ( the hearing aid cost 1,200 Euro)

She could never seem to adapt to the private one. Meanwhile the HSE called her. She now uses the two hearing aids they supplied.

I don't know about ordering online. My mother had to be personally fitted, everything had to be adjusted to suit her. This took several visits.

There is a problem with some elderly people and hearing aids.

In an effort to make them as small and discreet as possible, and with the new digital technolofy, hearing aids have been made with tiny delicate mechanisms, and they can be too fiddly for the elderly. The adjustment switch is too tiny, they cannot see where the battery goes, or figure out if the battery needs changing.

If you suggest getting a larger one they become upset because they hate the large, obvious-looking ones

All elderly people are not like that, but some are. They throw the hearing aid aside because "that yoke doesn't work"

I've been down this road with two elderly relatives, and it's a bit of a nightmare, tbh....

Abacus

Waiting lists with the HSE take up to two years ( I think that is just for the appointment)
When you do get through the system you get very good service as the HSE now only supplies the new digital, state-of-the-art hearing aids

But two years in the life of a 78 year old is a long time. Hearing loss is very embarrassing and isolating for the elderly. Some of the behaviour it triggers ( talking to oneself, misunderstanding, pretending to hear then "forgetting") can be mistaken for dementia or the onset of Alzheimer's.

We went through this whole caper with my elderly mother. Could not wait for the HSE, so got her a private audiologist and private hearing aid supplier ( the hearing aid cost 1,200 Euro)

She could never seem to adapt to the private one. Meanwhile the HSE called her. She now uses the two hearing aids they supplied.

I don't know about ordering online. My mother had to be personally fitted, everything had to be adjusted to suit her. This took several visits.

There is a problem with some elderly people and hearing aids.

In an effort to make them as small and discreet as possible, and with the new digital technolofy, hearing aids have been made with tiny delicate mechanisms, and they can be too fiddly for the elderly. The adjustment switch is too tiny, they cannot see where the battery goes, or figure out if the battery needs changing.

If you suggest getting a larger one they become upset because they hate the large, obvious-looking ones

All elderly people are not like that, but some are. They throw the hearing aid aside because "that yoke doesn't work"

I've been down this road with two elderly relatives, and it's a bit of a nightmare, tbh....

All the more reason why the old folk need to be protected from conmen. They are being targeted increasingly by silver tongued rogues who promise the impossible at madly ridiculous prices. In the case giving rise to this thread, I became aware of the way in which some of the approaches are being made and resolved to try to highlight the murky world of some of the hearing aid agents and the way they relieve vulnerable pensioners of their savings. My chief concern here is to put a serious dent in a very nefarious trade and perhaps to make as many people as possible aware of what is going on.

murkeyside

The private sellers of hearing aids in the UK have to be much more competitive as you will get free digital hearing aids via the NHS.

Also the NHS are the biggest purchaser of hearing aids in the world - so "should" get the best deals.

Likewise for cochlear implants.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies