The Great Irish Patriots and The Irish Language

General Urko

I was wondering what was the level of competency in and attitude towards the national language some of our greatest Rebels had?

Yes, I know 'Jarry' is reasonable fluent (possibly B2)petunia
And of course Dev learned it and came across as virtually Galiban!
Mickey Collins, afaik was fluent, but never really known to speak it in public.
Pearse, well no need to ask there.
Connolly was fluent in German and Italian, but I don't know WRT Irish.
Sir Roger Casement, probably to pre occupied with other (human rights) advocacy to engage.
O'Connell, similar to Collins, but would always advise preference be given to Béarla as it was more economically important.
Theobald Wolf Tone?
Robert Addis Emmet?
Henry Grattan?

cricket

I was wondering what was the level of competency in and attitude towards the national language some of our greatest Rebels had?

Sir Roger Casement, probably to pre occupied with other (human rights) advocacy to engage.
O'Connell, similar to Collins, but would always advise preference be given to Béarla as it was more economically important.
Theobald Wolf Tone?
Robert Addis Emmet?
Henry Grattan?
Legend has it that Brian Boru struggled with the modh choinnialach.

D

Deleted member 48908

Legend has it that Brian Boru struggled with the modh choinnialach.
Incorrect. More rumour than legend. Historians tell us that it was the tuiseal ginnedeach that caused him trouble.

jackdonny9876

"Irish will scarcely be our language in this generation, not even perhaps in the next. But until we have it again on our tongues and in our minds we are not free"
~
Path to Freedom (Chapter 7: Distinctive Culture) - Michael Collins, August 1922

Catalpast

Theobald Wolf Tone?
Robert Addis Emmet?
Henry Grattan?
Enda Kenny!:cool:

- & of course not forgetting our very own Leo....:cool:

between the bridges

Gregory Campbell...

General Urko

Well pretty much all of our heroes before the 19th century were fluent in it
Can you quote sources? So Emmet and Tone and Grattan would have been?

Lord Talbot

"Irish will scarcely be our language in this generation, not even perhaps in the next. But until we have it again on our tongues and in our minds we are not free"
~
Never gonna happen lads. English is the language of Google.

General Urko

To the few jokers who have miscontributed to this thread, will you have a bit of respect for the national language, I myself, for example, steadfastly refused ever to call IW by its name in our native tongue,as it would be vastly denigrating to the language!

Quebecoise

If you had the choice between a 32-county English-speaking Irish Republic with Irish gone the way of Manx and Cornish; or a bilingual Ireland as a full part of the UK with Irish being the first language of at least 50% of the population, what would you choose?

jackdonny9876

If you had the choice between a 32-county English-speaking Irish Republic with Irish gone the way of Manx and Cornish; or a bilingual Ireland as a full part of the UK with Irish being the first language of at least 50% of the population, what would you choose?
It's a silly question. The Irish language is closely linked to Irish nationalism and one would follow the other. Also when you say a "32-county English-speaking Irish Republic" I assume you mean staying in the EU which is a greater threat to Irish sovereignty, culture and people than the brits have ever been

Quebecoise

I don't think it's a silly question. And I'm not at all talking about the EU, I'm just talking about an ideal that may never happen but may give some indication of what people believe is more important, politics or culture?

Dasayev

~

Mick must have agreed with Tacitus

The language of the conqueror in the mouths of the conquered is ever the language of the slave.

jackdonny9876

I don't think it's a silly question. And I'm not at all talking about the EU, I'm just talking about an ideal that may never happen but may give some indication of what people believe is more important, politics or culture?
You ask which is more important 'politics' or 'culture' will they are pretty much the same thing. The reunification of Ireland and becoming a sovereign nation is just as big a cultural thing as a political thing. Really you're asking me which is a more important cultural thing for me sovereignty or the Irish language.

cricket

Ah, scaoil amach do bhobalaín duit féin, a bhuachaill.

Mick Mac

~

Wow, like is that an extract from Identity Ireland!!!

Mick Mac

Irish nationalists have always believed that politics is downstream of culture.

That's a Steve Bannon expression but it explains why itish nationalists never thought let's make the best go we can of fixing this union.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies