• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Great TV theme tunes.

Dearghoul

Sad to hear. The tune matches the claustrophobia of 'this thing of ours' to a tee.

The music in 'The Wire' was always riveting stuff and the ever changing theme music...well!

Find myself whistling the tune to 'Hall's pictorial Weekly' occasionally. :)

owedtojoy

My personal favourite, from a long-forgotten TV series called Peter Gunn. It was revived and became a hit for Art Of Noise in the 1990s. Still a jazz classic.

human 19

While the theme for the Sprpanos is fitting, along with that of The Wire, nostalgia plays a big part in what will you will later regard as a classic. Watching the intro just brings you back to when the family sat on a couch at a predestined time every week. Especially when , growing up in the 70's, there was very little that stood the test of time. Even cheesy stuff like this (littlest hobo)brings a smile. There were a lot of others in that catagory (Grizzly Adams, anyone?) . Possibly my fav theme music ever was from the 70's, and I still think it stands up today. Creepy kids sci-fi from ITV.

Dr Who is up there also of course, but I think that's taken for granted as one of the best ever.

Alphonse

Yeah sure allot of the fun is in remembering some old half forgotten thing but of course TV and perhaps even more so film will have properly scored music. It is interesting as well to listen to what the technology of the time could come up. From a nostalgic point of view most of my favourites are probably gonna be cartoons.

General Urko

The Hill Street Blues is my alltime favourite show and theme.
Other themes, I liked -
WKRP in Cincinnati
The Greatest American Hero
The Odd Couple
Cheers
Friends

Ardillaun

The Sopranos theme was well chosen but what really made it great was the show itself and the accompanying visuals of the drive to Jersey.

What about adaptations? I think Spartacus was meant for The Onedin Line (a series from long, long ago). The music brings rolling waves to mind far more clearly than slavish discontent. In my opinion. See what you think.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ah lads. I checked the whole massive length and width of this here thread fully expecting to see mention of the Greatest TV Theme Tune of them All.

The 'Hawaii 5-0' theme tune, by the Ventures.

Brilliant opening sequence and credits too with the film of the Hawaiian lads piling away across the surf on the aul canoe.

I want that for my funeral song. The lads bringing the coffin to the crematorium tunnel might get carried away and I'd be fired in to be fired.

redneck

Mission Impossible TV series.
TV series - David Loyld George- Cavatina.
The crime series - The Sweeney. Da da da, da da da, dadadadadada , great stuff.

Ardillaun

What about those not so great theme tunes, intro music you liked much less than the show? I would have preferred to hear Cheryl Crow’s song ‘Leaving Las Vegas’ in the film of the same name but perhaps that wasn’t even possible given that the film came out in the following year.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Can't stand any of the opening credits music for any of the soap operas, from Coronation Street where everyone lived on chips at one time (or they did the last time I saw it), to [INSERT NEWER SOAP HERE].

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies