The greatest Irishman of them all...

Ciaran

Daithi O Connell is more deserving of the title than Daniel however without a doubt the greatest Irishman of all time has to be Luke Kelly.

DOD

James Connolly was a tireless defender of the Ordinary Irish working man and woman. Connolly fought for genuine freedom as opposed to O' Connell who merely 'struggled' that catholics have the right to exploit people too.

DOD

mjcoughlan said:
"My body to Ireland, My heart to Rome, My soul to God." - Daniel O'Connell

My own list of great Irishmen (in no particular order).

Daniel O'Connell - The Liberator.
John Redmond - Former MP for Waterford, Home Rule Leader and opponent of violent republicanism.
CS Parnell - Another great Home Rule leader.
WT Cosgrave - First leader of the Free State.
Kevin O'Higgins - former Minister for Justice.
Edmund Burke - Father of Modern Conservatism
My god that is a who's who of shoneens and bourgeois nationalists, if ever I saw one.

edifice.

Apparently his heart is buried in Rome, and its widely whispered he liked to bury himself up to his balls whenever the opportunity afforded itself. From Repeal to Reform, its no wonder certain types like him. Catholic Emancipation, for those who could afford it.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
edifice. said:
Apparently his heart is buried in Rome, and its widely whispered he liked to bury himself up to his balls whenever the opportunity afforded itself. From Repeal to Reform, its no wonder certain types like him. Catholic Emancipation, for those who could afford it.
aye.. wasn't it said of him "you couldn't throw a stone in Dublin, without hitting one of his b'stards"

We'll have to stop now.. we'll be offending the "real Republicans"

corkman2007

fisk said:
Paul Mcgrath
Good, but not great. Jesus Christ was the greatest Irishman ever.

Catalpa

edifice. said:
It's gone AWOL! :oops:

corkman2007

Why do you think Paisley's looking so healthy recently?

Conuil

Riadach said:
civic_critic said:
Riadach said:
To achieve what he achieved by exclusively peaceful means itself sets him apart. Although lets not forget there was always a threat of violence behind the monster meetings.
What's with the peace fetish? You have a right to drive out the invader, by any means necessary and immediately. This fetish for non-violence peddled by the irish establishment and superficially parroted by the people at large is little more than a form of self-apology. You have the right to be dangerous, it's part of the foundation of your liberty, of all peoples' liberty.
Maybe some of us are inherently uncomfortable with the taking of life full stop.
I'm glad U said the above a chara;

As a former Combatant, it was always the problem with having no viable alternative political strategy that perplexed us.....

Thankfully, now there is and even though other Republican groups - don't agree - they still can't argue in favour of a return to an Armed Campaign..

civic_critic

Conuil said:
As a former Combatant, it was always the problem with having no viable alternative political strategy that perplexed us.....
Why did you have no alternative political strategy?

Pacific Ireland

Myself although of O'Connell lineage, I much prefer Connolly's view

"Labour In Irish History

Chapter XII
A chapter of horrors: Daniel O’Connell and the working class....."

Sidewinder

Great stuff, civic_critic.

madura said:
Are you suggesting it’s because only a small proportion of the populace took an active part in the Rising while the rest remained acquiescent?

I believe in the "cultural cringe" and the kind of power relationships that cause the exploited to adopt the perspective of the exploiter; this kind of behaviour is well documented among ‘enslaved’ individuals. I’m just not sure I can accept our common history of subjugation as a cause of our (admittedly egregious) toleration of high prices and shoddy services by our fellows.
Only a tiny minority did take part in the Tan War. Most of the population kept the heads down and waited to see who would win. The Irish herd does this a lot. In 1905? half the country was in Dublin waving Union Jacks for a Royal Visit. By 1920 every single one of the same feckers were running round claiming to have been in the GPO with Collins. The entire populace were complicit in the abuses of the 1950s and 60s. Half the country flocked to see JPII in 1979, and liberal referenda were comprehensively trounced in the 80s. But by the mid-90s, all those exact same people claimed they knew nothing, saw nothing, had been in favour of divorce all along and rushed to prove how with it they were by bashing the Catholic Church at every opportunity.

Most of the populace bends with the wind, and slavishly follows whatever ideology is seen as dominant at the time. Don't rock the boat, sure ye can't be saying that, keep the head down, do what yer told.

It's all part of the weakness before Power that civic_critic mentioned. It's all part of the Colonial Virus.

Leftfemme22

corkman2007 said:
fisk said:
Paul Mcgrath
Good, but not great. Jesus Christ was the greatest Irishman ever.
Born on the shores of the Lee no doubt :lol:

Nuada

Ciaran said:
Daithi O Connell is more deserving of the title than Daniel however without a doubt the greatest Irishman of all time has to be Luke Kelly.
by god he's up there all right.

madura

Sidewinder said:
Great stuff, civic_critic.

madura said:
Are you suggesting it’s because only a small proportion of the populace took an active part in the Rising while the rest remained acquiescent?

I believe in the "cultural cringe" and the kind of power relationships that cause the exploited to adopt the perspective of the exploiter; this kind of behaviour is well documented among ‘enslaved’ individuals. I’m just not sure I can accept our common history of subjugation as a cause of our (admittedly egregious) toleration of high prices and shoddy services by our fellows.
Only a tiny minority did take part in the Tan War. Most of the population kept the heads down and waited to see who would win. The Irish herd does this a lot. In 1905? half the country was in Dublin waving Union Jacks for a Royal Visit. By 1920 every single one of the same feckers were running round claiming to have been in the GPO with Collins. The entire populace were complicit in the abuses of the 1950s and 60s. Half the country flocked to see JPII in 1979, and liberal referenda were comprehensively trounced in the 80s. But by the mid-90s, all those exact same people claimed they knew nothing, saw nothing, had been in favour of divorce all along and rushed to prove how with it they were by bashing the Catholic Church at every opportunity.

Most of the populace bends with the wind, and slavishly follows whatever ideology is seen as dominant at the time. Don't rock the boat, sure ye can't be saying that, keep the head down, do what yer told.

It's all part of the weakness before Power that civic_critic mentioned. It's all part of the Colonial Virus.
You would seem to be engaging in a little cultural cringeing of your own there. I believe there is far more diversity of opinion and resistance to intellectual subjection among us "sheep" than the elect give us credit for.

Whig

The first thing I thought when I saw this post was that there must be some mistake in the figures, Wolfe Tone wasn't quite that old.

I'll grant O'Connell credit for finding the loophole that let a Roman Catholic stand for election even if he couldn't take his seat, which hadn't been exploited before, and for building a mass movement. But he was ultimately quite a conservative character. In his speeches on repeal, he said that before the Union we had the King, Lords and Commons of Ireland, and that in the 1830s we still had two of them, if we got the Commons back with the other two we'd be grand. He had no time for those who wanted real change in Ireland, whether the United Irishmen in 1798 or the Young Irelanders in 1848, and he saw the new secular Queen's colleges as unacceptably godless.

New Threads