The Greens performance in Government - Keeping an eye on them:

Fullforward

We have seen and heard a lot about the recent happenings within FF and FG since the formation of the Government, from Cowen gate to Leo and Simon keeping the trappings of stately overlords. How about we keep an eye on the Greens in Government and compare their performance against their promises.

I know some people were not happy with them bolstering up what the country effectively rejected but held out some hope that they would be a firewall against some of the old ways of FF and FG. For me they got off to a bad start on a number of issues and their vote to support Cowen not coming in to the House to answer questions leads me to think that they will be nothing more that a poor support act for the other two parties.

People placed their hope in the Greens to do politics differently, to drive radical change.

Lets hope they don't fall asleep at the wheel
1595320773459.png

Fullforward

Anyone else think that part of the behind doors deals in the negotiations for Government formation involved FF and FG agreeing to future water charges to appease the Greens?

And now that we owe billions or trillions water tax is one of the easy options?

farnaby

People placed their hope in the Greens to do politics differently, to drive radical change.
Not sure that's the case - they aren't looking to change our political structures or processes, and their leftie stuff is more wokeness than class struggle. Those of us who voted for them and supported coalition expect them to hold their nose and get some significant green policies locked down before the next inevitable coalition-breaking scandal.

Marcos the black

Anyone else think that part of the behind doors deals in the negotiations for Government formation involved FF and FG agreeing to future water charges to appease the Greens?

And now that we owe billions or trillions water tax is one of the easy options?
Water tax?
I think you'd be the first one to suggest such a thing. No govt has ever proposed a tax on water before.

Fullforward

Not sure that's the case - they aren't looking to change our political structures or processes, and their leftie stuff is more wokeness than class struggle. Those of us who voted for them and supported coalition expect them to hold their nose and get some significant green policies locked down before the next inevitable coalition-breaking scandal.
Is it not too high a price to pay, knowing that it will all inevitably unravel given that FF/FG only see things from a perspective that there must be a return (massive profit) on any investment they make? I'm not against anyone making a profit but things like the environment don't always pay their dividends in money.

farnaby

Is it not too high a price to pay, knowing that it will all inevitably unravel given that FF/FG only see things from a perspective that there must be a return (massive profit) on any investment they make? I'm not against anyone making a profit but things like the environment don't always pay their dividends in money.
Plenty of money and jobs in environmental sectors, something the Greens flag at any opportunity to avoid the perception they are all about halving everyone's standard of living. Sure, this doesn't immediately feed FFG's 'market' of FIRE sector moneymakers but I'm sure they'll find a way.

Marcos the black

Yeah... There's no money in this green economy thing anyway.

Fullforward

Plenty of money and jobs in environmental sectors, something the Greens flag at any opportunity to avoid the perception they are all about halving everyone's standard of living. Sure, this doesn't immediately feed FFG's 'market' of FIRE sector moneymakers but I'm sure they'll find a way.
That's exactly what the greens need to do, show people that it is not just a makey up world where everyone can live in Smithfield and stroll a short distance to their yoga class or work in the middle of town. Some of us actually need a car given the state of public transport.

Fullforward

There was a 55% turnout for the election of a leader for the green party today.......Maybe they are right, it doesn't matter who drives that particular bus.

Expose the lot of them

Was a vote taken on the Bill to support the Debenhams' workers? If so, presumably the three legged stool voted against.

Marcos the black

There was a 55% turnout for the election of a leader for the green party today.......Maybe they are right, it doesn't matter who drives that particular bus.
When is a result expected?

Uganda

I see on the main page of the IT today that one Saoirse McHugh has left the Green Party.

Why in the name of God would a failed European candidate, a failed Dail candidate and a failed Seanad candidate leaving a minor party be front page news in the IT?

barrym

OK, let's get down to it.

The GP have decided, or maybe their inertia has created it, to be a 'member' of the three party government. That means, on the evidence so far, don't rock any boats, don't take advantage of Veradkars ridiculous pr, such as the green list fiasco, don't vote agin anything.

As a GP member I have several times asked, without reply, what are the red lines. I am appalled that they haven't boosted their press and pr staff. I am surprised that some of the more active ones have been asleep, since the formation of the gov, except to form some loose gatherings.

They are already being treated as the mudguard. |The naivety of their members is obvious.

neiphin

I see on the main page of the IT today that one Saoirse McHugh has left the Green Party.

Why in the name of God would a failed European candidate, a failed Dail candidate and a failed Seanad candidate leaving a minor party be front page news in the IT?
Bullying

borntorum

She’s the Gen Z Ivana Bacik

tsarbomb

My God! Surely the most important thing to have happened in Irish politics since the arms trial?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom