The Greens performance in Government - Keeping an eye on them:

Fullforward

No their has to be ddiscipline in any party/organisation, if u are in a party u must toe the party line. Did i see somewhere she was part of setting up a group within the Green party, which is unusual in itself
Maybe the group is the one Saoirse McHugh is in. The ban is akin to banning a GAA player for a month the day after the All Ireland final. Surely this cannot be the only issue that she is concerned about with Government policy, so it is only a matter of time before she walks or is pushed.

And to those who say things like "Why did she agree to the programme for Government if she opposes this legislation?" The truth is that not everything the Government do over the course of their tenure is verbatim what is ion the PFG, sometimes the move from the given line is too far, sometimes Politicians feel the heat.

Round tower

Maybe the group is the one Saoirse McHugh is in. The ban is akin to banning a GAA player for a month the day after the All Ireland final. Surely this cannot be the only issue that she is concerned about with Government policy, so it is only a matter of time before she walks or is pushed.

And to those who say things like "Why did she agree to the programme for Government if she opposes this legislation?" The truth is that not everything the Government do over the course of their tenure is verbatim what is ion the PFG, sometimes the move from the given line is too far, sometimes Politicians feel the heat.
It would be nothing new at local level, but the ban is from when she voted against.
I would agree that if she voted against them measures how will she and possibly others depending on the budget in Oct., vote withh the Gov.

Fullforward

It would be nothing new at local level, but the ban is from when she voted against.
I would agree that if she voted against them measures how will she and possibly others depending on the budget in Oct., vote withh the Gov.
Then it is ineffective as it was on the last day of sitting for this term, quickly followed by a eight week Holiday. On a personal level I think it is wrong to silence her in that way, people should be allowed to voice their, and their constituents concerns. REGARDLESS of which party they are in.

Round tower

Then it is ineffective as it was on the last day of sitting for this term, quickly followed by a eight week Holiday. On a personal level I think it is wrong to silence her in that way, people should be allowed to voice their, and their constituents concerns. REGARDLESS of which party they are in.
It has happened in most of the political parties, Hourigan of the GP, Toibin and Nolan of SF over abortion, FG lost a number of TD's over the 8th admenment a number of years before that. FF don't think they have lost anyone for a good while.

Fullforward

Off the top of my head I can only remember Brian Ó Domhnaill and Averil Power resigning. Can't see any of the current crop walking away as they have been too long away from the gravy train.

Round tower

Off the top of my head I can only remember Brian Ó Domhnaill and Averil Power resigning. Can't see any of the current crop walking away as they have been too long away from the gravy train.
O Cuiv if the coalition is till there when he has to vote for a FG Taoiseach.
In a srong FG house in Conemara, the man of the house died, one of his sons when he saw OC approaching the house went over covering his fathers eyed saying "if he saw him coming he might get up out of the coffig to clear him"

Fullforward

O Cuiv if the coalition is till there when he has to vote for a FG Taoiseach.
In a srong FG house in Conemara, the man of the house died, one of his sons when he saw OC approaching the house went over covering his fathers eyed saying "if he saw him coming he might get up out of the coffig to clear him"
All the objectors in FF will just stay in the bar that day, or by the time that comes around will be fully consumed by the Blueshirts.

Fullforward

" Green Party minister Catherine Martin says she was not aware she had appointed a convicted former drug dealer to advise her on night-time entertainment"

RelentlessApathy!

" Green Party minister Catherine Martin says she was not aware she had appointed a convicted former drug dealer to advise her on night-time entertainment"

That's an extremely low blow by the independent.

Fullforward

That's an extremely low blow by the independent.
The Indo have LOTS of form. I remember a discussion in a job canteen where I worked a long time ago about employing people who had been convicted of offences / been in prison and the vast majority of people said they wouldn't and my argument that the court had given them a sanction that didn't say "You can never work again" held no sway with them.

Round tower

The Indo have LOTS of form. I remember a discussion in a job canteen where I worked a long time ago about employing people who had been convicted of offences / been in prison and the vast majority of people said they wouldn't and my argument that the court had given them a sanction that didn't say "You can never work again" held no sway with them.
If as he says in 25 years ago and he has a clean reccord since then their should be no reason why, like we have a TD who was convicted of terorists offences in the 80's.
Donn't think that their is any law preventing people convicted of sceries offences being employed.

Fullforward

If as he says in 25 years ago and he has a clean reccord since then their should be no reason why, like we have a TD who was convicted of terorists offences in the 80's.
Donn't think that their is any law preventing people convicted of sceries offences being employed.
The first, second and third Dáil had dozens of bombers and gunmen.

A Fianna Fail TD was brought in handcuffs to vote in the Dáil.

Over the years a large number of TD's and Senators faced serious charges.

hiding behind a poster

The promise of significant concerns as to the impact of the government legislation on people living in precarious tenancies.
Not read their manifesto then?
I'm familiar with their manifesto, and I don't see the vote the other night as being much in conflict with it. But it raises another question, as I mentioned in my post, and it's this (assuming you're interested in a serious debate) - if an election produces an inconclusive result, with nobody winning a majority, then for a government to be formed, parties will have to negotiate and compromise - agreed? Or do you think everyone has to stick 100% to their manifestos? In that scenario, what, in your view, either would or should happen next? None of the three largest parties in the current Dail won more than a quarter of the vote - agreed? One party of government won only about 7% of the vote - agreed? So in that situation, how do YOU propose that a government be formed? As I say, yet again, I'm trying to debate this with you - will you please address the points I'm making?

Really? That's what i said...some were upset in FF-FG.... Irish times have also touched on it.
Maybe so, I haven't heard of any great upset though.

Yes she did...what part of that are you struggling with?
The rest is 'if's' 'but's' and 'maybe's'...and 'if my aunt had balls' gibberish.
But it's not "ifs and buts". The reality is that nobody won anything near to a majority - I'm asking you what YOU think should therefore happen.

Imagine that eh.....How could she have her ear to ground on what her constituents voted,and elected her on certain issues?
Except that Paschal Donohue was elected in the same constituency, and he voted the other way. So firstly it's obviously not as clear-cut as you suggest, and secondly it still raises the question as to how she actually can know, or claim to know, what a majority of her constituents think on this or indeed any other issue? Did she ask them all? Did they all contact her? Of course not.

Ms Hourigan said in her view the legislation does “not offer enough protection for renters on eviction due to sale, recognised as a driver of homelessness, nor does it sufficiently recognise the risks posed by the rent arrears accrued during the pandemic.”
Well that may be her view, but if she feels that she should vote on every Dail vote solely on the basis of her own view, she should either have run as an Independent and committed to not joining any coalition, or should have refused any job offered to her by the Taoiseach which would require her to vote according to the government whip. Agreed?

The last point shows why you are so amusing....try and stop the delusions,abuse,and Walter Mitty character role playing.
Are you going to throw another hissy fit again....who cares.
No, the last point is based on my experience of your responses. I don't think anyone reasonable could possibly describe my attempts to debate this and other subjects with you in the way you do, with all this ridiculous "Walter Mitty/hissy fit" nonsense. I've made several reasonable points to you here - you don't have to agree with them in order to debate them without all that other nonsense.

hiding behind a poster

You seem to be certain that what Neasa Hourigan voted against IE the Residential Tenancies and Evaluation Bill, was in the agreed PFG.
Can you provide any evidence that it was?
The agreement would require government deputies to vote with the government whip.

hiding behind a poster

True, but there's usually a requirement to vote with the government whip unless otherwise specified.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom