The Halawi case, who are we in bed with now?

Shpake

Leo Varadkar speaks for 25 minutes with Egyptian president regarding Ibrahim Halawa

On yesterday's RTE radio I heard Foreign Minister Coveney say that in total, 20,000 consular hours were devoted over the years since his arrest to the Halawi case. Besides this there were phone-calls, one lasting 25 Minutes from an Taoiseach Varadkar, numerous visits to Egypt by various big-wigs....
which is all fine and dandy. The case even received attention at EU diplomatic level.

But I'd like to draw your attention to the Cork man Éanna Ó Cochláin, who alleges that he has been arrested on trumped up charges in the Philippines.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-man-awaits-final-appeal-over-philippines-drug-conviction-1.2848764

The difference in attention-time that the young Halawi recieved is striking.
I'm a bit curious as to how things managed to get so askew, hence the somewhat provocative caption.

But then after all, When you think about it:
a)Trump has gone all America-first.
b)The Europeans are miffed with us staying schtumm on all that tax-money -- €13 Bn to Apple alone.
We're miffed with the Europeans for having to pay those bondholders.
c) The Brits want to float their own boat... no more free-trade agreement and maybe a poisonous divorce, perhaps low-level.

Could someone set me straight on this. Just who are we in bed with now? No matter how much I strain my feeble brain, I can't for the life of me understand why the Muslim Bro'hood are one of our priorities.

edwin

Leo Varadkar speaks for 25 minutes with Egyptian president regarding Ibrahim Halawa

On yesterday's RTE radio I heard Foreign Minister Coveney say that in total, 20,000 consular hours were devoted over the years since his arrest to the Halawi case. Besides this there were phone-calls, one lasting 25 Minutes from an Taoiseach Varadkar, numerous visits to Egypt by various big-wigs....
which is all fine and dandy. The case even received attention at EU diplomatic level.

But I'd like to draw your attention to the Cork man Éanna Ó Cochláin, who alleges that he has been arrested on trumped up charges in the Philippines.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-man-awaits-final-appeal-over-philippines-drug-conviction-1.2848764

The difference in attention-time that the young Halawi recieved is striking.
I'm a bit curious as to how things managed to get so askew, hence the somewhat provocative caption.

But then after all, When you think about it:
a)Trump has gone all America-first.
b)The Europeans are miffed with us staying schtumm on all that tax-money -- €13 Bn to Apple alone.
We're miffed with the Europeans for having to pay those bondholders.
c) The Brits want to float their own boat... no more free-trade agreement and maybe a poisonous divorce, perhaps low-level.

Could someone set me straight on this. Just who are we in bed with now? No matter how much I strain my feeble brain, I can't for the life of me understand why the Muslim Bro'hood are one of our priorities.
Irish citizen arrested without fair trial. Of course that was an important issue.

ionsniffer

I would think the government is doing it's best to impress our eu masters with this case.

Any idea the numbers of Muslim brotherhood members in Ireland?

Shpake

Irish citizen arrested without fair trial. Of course that was an important issue.
But Edwin, Éanna Ó Cochláin is also an Irish citizen who as been arrested and who alleges that he didn't get a fair trial.
He is also born and bred in Ireland. Don't you notice the difference in the reaction or non-reaction of the Irish government?

Notice that I am plugging more for the mind-set of the government. How is it that in one case a distressed citizen gets so much air-time on RTE both radio and television. That so many hectares of newspaper space is devoted to him.
Does this mean we have some "special relationship" or something with the Muslim Brotherhood?

D

Deleted member 45466

But Edwin, Éanna Ó Cochláin is also an Irish citizen who as been arrested and who alleges that he didn't get a fair trial.
He is also born and bred in Ireland. Don't you notice the difference in the reaction or non-reaction of the Irish government?

Notice that I am plugging more for the mind-set of the government. How is it that in one case a distressed citizen gets so much air-time on RTE both radio and television. That so many hectares of newspaper space is devoted to him.
Does this mean we have some "special relationship" or something with the Muslim Brotherhood?
I think it means that the halawa case became a darling of the media.

The government therefore had to be seen to do something.

No?

Shpake

Napoleon, Metternich or some politician of the 19th Century once said that nations have no friends, they only have interests. O.K., I'll go along with that. One could be cynical but I'm sure all the other govts are the same.. up to the same lark
But is it not a reasonable question for Seán Citizen to ask... particularly if it's clear that so much resources and attention time have gone in one direction (and not in another)
Who are we in bed with now?

Shpake

No?
One could also maintain that the govt told the media to highlight the Halawi case.

It certainly is striking that the poor Corkman... married with kids out there is on his own.

D

Deleted member 45466

One could also maintain that the govt told the media to highlight the Halawi case.

It certainly is striking that the poor Corkman... married with kids out there is on his own.
Very true!

Food for thought.

papaquebec

SamsonS

No?
Your talking about the Irish media. Of very little relevance in Egypt the Philipines.

In any of these cases the work of Foreign Affairs is done discreetly. Otherwise it falls apart and becomes a sovereignty issue for the other country.

Just cause we are not aware of cases doesn't mean its not happening.

From that report, that Irish man is out on bail, and the issue is that he is waiting a long time for the trial.

There are in the region of 1200 Irish people in jail outside Ireland (although that would include the North and UK).

Of the last 3 high profile ones - Halaya, McCollum and Hickey!

Mick Mac

No?
The equivalent of 10 man years in consular support!

Just to be seen to be doing some thing. Not a hope.
But to not rehash the other thread.

Who is in bed with who?

It's a real cluster fucc.

If your left wing your at rallies that are segregated, meeting reps of a man who things gays should be stoned, arguing the Democratic merit's of a president who assumed dictatorship powers and your okay with that because for some reason you've decided that a coalition with religious reactionaries is okay on a case by case basis, that sometimes it's necessary to butt homophobia and other causes for the bigger picture.

That's what the left choose to go to bed with.

papaquebec

reg11

The Left see common ground with Halawa even if he’s a MB supporter.

He’s probably a young idealistic guy, even if some may be of the opinion he’s misguided. He’s a good looking, young guy who’s politically active and seemingly unafraid to get his hands dirty. Is he also bright? If so, it adds to his romantic image in the vein of revolutionary fighters of the past. Is it a myth? Whether it is or it isn’t, there’s a hunger for his type in the political landscape. Most young people formed in contemporary Western culture are totally disengaged from politics, and for those who are, most are obviously acting out of complete self-interest. The fact that he’s from what some would regard as an alien culture, yet brought up in the West, by paradox makes him what he is. If he were 100% Western/Irish he wouldn’t have done what he did. He’d be just as resigned, diverted, individual, neutered as most of his age cohorts.

I don’t think it’s so hard to see the interest he has invoked. I reckon he’ll be appearing on an election poster here soon, on a Leftist platform? As to why Leo V and Coveney with their neoliberal agendas or puppetry are supporting him, they’re probably seeing global political shifts down the road. They ‘re relatively young men and may not want to later appear on the wrong side of history. They may feel they need to build up a certain amount of goodwill now. Hedging their bets?

Lúidín

As to why Leo V and Coveney with their neoliberal agendas or puppetry are supporting him, they’re probably seeing global political shifts down the road.
Or they could be taking their duty as Taoiseach and Minister of Ireland seriously and insisting that one of our citizens is released from illegal incarceration in a lawless territory.

papaquebec

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies