The Healy-Rae thing has claimed that nuclear testing in Pacific Ocean caused the hole in the ozone layer!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The Healy-Rae thing has claimed that nuclear testing in Pacific Ocean caused the hole in the ozone layer!

Our very own Donald Trump conspiracy theorist

Healy-Rae blames nuclear tests for ozone hole
ndependent TD Danny Healy-Rae has claimed in the Dáil that the hole in the ozone layer was caused by nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean 50 years ago.

He said "untruths have been bandied about" about climate change for years
I presume this will go down with with his yokels in The Kingdom ?

Will he be challenged to give evidence ?

If he came out with this garbage...what next ? Where does he get his trash from ?

cyp

gleeful

I though he said only God controlled the weather. Was God doing the nuclear testing?

Levellers

Walk around the house with the Child of Prague upside down - that should fix it.

Bea C

And here we go again...

Yee do appreciate that he's taking the pi$s, don't yee?

Mad as Fish

Perhaps if the oh so sophisticated Dubs took their heads out of their arses long enough to to do a little Googling they might discover that the idea is not without foundation -

Nuclear explosions

The rapid release of energy in a nuclear explosion forms NOx from O2 and Nitrogen. The gases are carried into the stratosphere by the intense convection associated with the explosion. NOx destroys ozone, so atmospheric bomb tests should have had an effect. Most atmospheric testing was conducted 1945-1963, but some nations (e.g. France, China) continued until 1980s. The calculated effect is a temporary 3% reduction of ozone, but this value is within natural variations, and monitoring methods were crude at that time. The sunspot cycle should have resulted in an ozone peak in early 1960s, but this did not happen, suggesting that testing did have an effect.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~dib2/atmos/ozone.html

And then there are fears about the effects of a nuclear war on the ozone layer -

http://www.globalresearch.ca/earth-s-ozone-would-be-largely-destroyed-in-nuclear-conflict/8645

sadcitizen

Funny thing is, nobody here can say that it didn't, even if it actually didn't.

Roll_On

The daft leprechaun character does titillate the media doesn't it? It provides an ego boost to the slightly more evolved.

Roll_On

Well he did say that nothing man made has fixed the ozone layer, while failing to mention the CFC ban of 1980. :lol:
I suspect he doesn't really care though, he just thinks of really crazy things to say and says them in character.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
You can't say that my dog climbed an apple tree yesterday, even if it actually didn't.

The Irish secondary education system is badly -- but BADLY -- in need of a course in critical thinking (who'd teach it?).

Mad as Fish

Well he did say that nothing man made has fixed the ozone layer, while failing to mention the CFC ban of 1980. :lol:
I suspect he doesn't really care though, he just thinks of really crazy things to say and says them in character.
How do you deduce that from what he said -

"They told us about the ozone layer and there was greenhouse gases from cans of hairspray or whatever but they never told us that it was nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean 50 years ago actually caused the serious damage to the Ozone layer.

"Thankfully it is mending and it is curing and it is not anything to do with policies in any country in recent times."

Now, he is getting mixed up with CFC's and green house gases (two separate issues) but he notes that nothing in "recent times" has helped clear up the hole. Was the Eighties 'recent times' or not?

Accidental sock

You can't say that my dog climbed an apple tree yesterday, even if it actually didn't.

The Irish secondary education system is badly -- but BADLY -- in need of a course in critical thinking (who'd teach it?).
They can't teach courses in critical thinking, because of the current numbers of left-handed teachers.

sadcitizen

I presume that that wasn't meant to be a 'proving a negative' scenario.

My point is that most people who've ridiculed him about climate change (and now this too, presumably) have no background in science or research, and are unable to verify his claims without relying on other people's expertise. Appealing to authority is a common way to reach a fallacious conclusion. That doesn't mean he's correct, of course.

Accidental sock

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies