The HSE redundancy scheme has failed.

Baron von Biffo

RTE News at One is reporting that the the HSE voluntary redundancy scheme that was intended to cut 5,000 jobs has only had around 2,000 firm applications. The scheme closes at midnight tonight. We wont know until mid January what the final total will be but it's clear now that it has failed miserably to achieve its goal.

The numerical failure is of course only one consideration. We have yet to see where the staff will be lost from and how much damage to services will follow.

Another low in the political life of a minister who made a career of failure.

Cael

Im surprised that even 2,000 people were willing to give up a secure state position at a time like this.

B

birthday

Im surprised that even 2,000 people were willing to give up a secure state position at a time like this.
Indeed.
One question had you your tongue in your cheek when you posted that?

Sync

But how secure is it? I'm reminded of Element 6 in Shannon

370 jobs go at Element Six in Shannon - RT News

There a generous redundancy package was offered. Some took it others didn't. Then when not enough took it and pay deals collapsed, the company drastically reduced the package being given to mandatory redundancies.

Same thing could well happen here. There need to be 5000 redundancies. If you can't get them by hook then you get them by crook. And by crook won't be as nice or as well compensated.

I'm surprised no one's started a thread on the impact the IMF's arrival's going to have on the Croke Park Agreement. Cos it's going to be a big one.

maxthedog

As the terms were far too generous, this represents a saving to the private sector. because the IMF will now start sackings on their terms.

corelli

Depending on the terms of any agreement with the EU/IMF, this could be a disastrous missed opportunity for those who did not take it up. If public service numbers become and issue, and they may well, then there wont be ANYTHING like the generous terms that were on offer available again.

Aristodemus

I know that people's individual circumstances differ but that was such a generous offer that you really would have to be in dire straits to turn it down. There will never be such an attractive package ever offered anywhere in the public service in future. As some posters have pointed out the next offer is likely to consist of compulsory redundancies on much less favourable terms.

maxthedog

I know that people's individual circumstances differ but that was such a generous offer that you really would have to be in dire straits to turn it down. There will never be such an attractive package ever offered anywhere in the public service in future. As some posters have pointed out the next offer is likely to consist of compulsory redundancies on much less favourable terms.
Ssshhhh..... they have until midnight too apply.

Let the delusioned and pampered, wake up too the real world on Monday morning.

Hmmm, IMF arrive in town and HSE workers don't run for the lifeboat. Way to listen to the union.

The IMF will boot them out for half the money.

Baztard

I suspect that a flood of applications will arrive over the rest of the day until cut off time at midnight. Its a big big decision for everyone and many are weighing up the pros and cons of whether to jump now or potentially escaping compulsary redundancy which appears inevitable if the Croke Park deal unravels.

maxthedog

On a more serious note, I was speaking too a woman who works in the pension section of the HSE this morning and she told me, "That she will be working nights to cater for the take-up".

I know, RTE report one thing and a first hand account from a HSE employee states another.

So lets wait and see, the final figure will be released on Monday.

paddywhack

Failed like everything else Mary Harney has got her hands on. Was very badly thought out, probably an idea she just woke up with one morning and announced it without much thought.

bokuden

On a more serious note, I was speaking too a woman who works in the pension section of the HSE this morning and she told me, "That she will be working nights to cater for the take-up".
Well, that's not saying much now, is it?

Rospuppy

The IMF will have them out before Christmas with wage cuts of up to 20%... that will wipe the smile of all public servants faces... and the beautfuls union leaders o'c and Begg

Walkman

There will surely be a rush of applications today as people come to accept that this is as good as it gets.

maxthedog

Well, that's not saying much now, is it?
I know it shows the discredited state of PravdaRTE.

That we have on one hand an employees account and on another a school of journalism direct from Russia.

Who will be right?

laidback

Failed like everything else Mary Harney has got her hands on. Was very badly thought out, probably an idea she just woke up with one morning and announced it without much thought.
Surely Mary Harney has been successful other than in this instance - she set out to run down the public health service to help the private medical sector And she's done a good job. She's also managed to keep unemployment figures down because the nurses she wont employ are emigrating to where they are wanted.

SlickWilly

Hardly a surprise because the HSE penpushers it was aimed at are cute enough to know they would never get employment in the private sector in the years to come, considering their experience and skills! Professionals my bolex! The old saying applies what do you need to work as a penpusher in the paddy public service - 5 Ds in your leaving and 2 Fs - Fianna Failure!

bokuden

I know it shows the discredited state of PravdaRTE.

That we have on one hand an employees account and on another a school of journalism direct from Russia.

Who will be right?
I don't think you caught the irony intended in my post.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies