• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Human Face of Austerity.

Radix

Reading the attached article, makes me wonder why it is that we seemingly rescue an 'establishment' at the cost of ordinary people.

It includes the case of a mother who "is moving tinned food from the cupboard to the fridge to make it look full in front of the children. She buys food going out of date as its cheaper. Her daily worry is what the family will eat today."

When will this race to the bottom actually end?

SVP dismisses Government 'rhetoric' - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 25, 2012

Edo

just another vested interest with its begging bowl out in advance of budget day with some maudlin emotional anecdotes to ramp up the noise.

funny how through out the last 10 years when times were good - when there were lots of jobs, gov throwing money at the social welfare sector.........the poverty industry never got any smaller - only bigger?

Blossie

When, when ,when are the government going to lead by example and cut their own expenses and huge salaries. Enda Kenny gets paid more than Obama fgs. I am sick of services being cut for the disabled while these fat cats are being driven around in their top of the range cars.

gerhard dengler

Charities like the SVdP are exposed to the problems created by this society of unequals.

I know several people who work for this organisation and I take what they say and what their organisation says as being an accurate account of what is actually happening in this society.

wishywashy

just another vested interest with its begging bowl out in advance of budget day with some maudlin emotional anecdotes to ramp up the noise.

funny how through out the last 10 years when times were good - when there were lots of jobs, gov throwing money at the social welfare sector.........the poverty industry never got any smaller - only bigger?

You must be one of McCreevy's acolytes. Gurrier is probably too mild an appendage with which to tag you. But in the interest of my blood pressure,thats as far as I'll go.

Good Irish Mammy

Nothing maudlin but plenty emotional about having no money in the house Edo. Plenty of people playing muscial cupboards with the food. Even people who are working. Life is difficult for many, many people. Especially those who have lost their jobs and would not be the traditional welfare beneficiaries. Their mindset has been one of contribution, not entitlement. Probably never thought unemployment could happen to them. Lots of cold and hunger in the leafy suburbs too. We need to look out for our neighbours.

The people who are really suffering tend to hide it. I've noticed that the mammies in the playground moaning about not being able to put on the heating are the very ones jetting off in the half-term. And are keeping Johnnie Boden in the style to which it would be great to become accustomed. 'This? I have it years'. Oh no you don't. It's just new on-line. OK - I've been drooling.

Crazy horse 6

Reading the attached article, makes me wonder why it is that we seemingly rescue an 'establishment' at the cost of ordinary people.

It includes the case of a mother who "is moving tinned food from the cupboard to the fridge to make it look full in front of the children. She buys food going out of date as its cheaper. Her daily worry is what the family will eat today."

This government has encouraged the race to the bottom with job bridge and the like. Whilst some bang on about "the markets" and "bond yield" etc... the real failure of FG/labour is their total and utter feeble efforts to reduce the number of people without work.

S

simeongrimes

She buys food going out of date as its cheaper. Her daily worry is what the family will eat today.
I have seen this in a number of shops. At around 7 pm they start marking down the perishable stuff with yellow stickers. People gather around and pick up what they can.

Clanrickard

Charities like the SVdP are exposed to the problems created by this society of unequals.

I know several people who work for this organisation and I take what they say and what their organisation says as being an accurate account of what is actually happening in this society.
You must be one of McCreevy's acolytes. Gurrier is probably too mild an appendage with which to tag you. But in the interest of my blood pressure,thats as far as I'll go.
Nothing maudlin but plenty emotional about having no money in the house Edo. Plenty of people playing muscial cupboards with the food. Even people who are working. Life is difficult for many, many people. Especially those who have lost their jobs and would not be the traditional welfare beneficiaries. Their mindset has been one of contribution, not entitlement. Probably never thought unemployment could happen to them. Lots of cold and hunger in the leafy suburbs too. We need to look out for our neighbours.

The people who are really suffering tend to hide it. I've noticed that the mammies in the playground moaning about not being able to put on the heating are the very ones jetting off in the half-term. And are keeping Johnnie Boden in the style to which it would be great to become accustomed. 'This? I have it years'. Oh no you don't. It's just new on-line. OK - I've been drooling.
SVP is a joke and I'd take what they say with fistfuls of salt. In the good times they were droning on about the most vulnerable. I know of these families receiving help and they are far from vulnerable. One such family received a food package from SVP the day the kids were showing my son their new DS......all 4 of them. There are people struggling but sob stories need checking to see if they are genuine. Whining about no food is a little disingenuous when there is an Xbox, Sky TV, 32'' plasma and two cars in the drive way,.

Clanrickard

This government has encouraged the race to the bottom with job bridge and the like. Whilst some bang on about "the markets" and "bond yield" etc... the real failure of FG/labour is their total and utter feeble efforts to reduce the number of people without work.
That I agree with fully. Jobs should be the first and last thing the cabinet thinks about every day.

tirnacrann

You can't go hungry on €188 + rent allowance + children's allowance AFAIC.

Unless of course you're drinking/smoking/gambling the money.
No you cant , and arguing you can takes the spotlight off the real problems in this country

happytuesdays

I have seen this in a number of shops. At around 7 pm they start marking down the perishable stuff with yellow stickers. People gather around and pick up what they can.
As so often in Ireland we are confusing THRIFT and POVERTY. Why assume that those (like me) who buy marked down products are poor. Having the good habit of THRIFT they may well be RICH.

statsman

As so often in Ireland we are confusing THRIFT and POVERTY. Why assume that those (like me) who buy marked down products are poor. Having the good habit of THRIFT they may well be RICH.
Agreed. I'm not rich, but I am comfortable. Part of the reason for that is that I don't waste money and always look for marked-down bargains when I go shopping.

wishywashy

SVP is a joke and I'd take what they say with fistfuls of salt. In the good times they were droning on about the most vulnerable. I know of these families receiving help and they are far from vulnerable. One such family received a food package from SVP the day the kids were showing my son their new DS......all 4 of them. There are people struggling but sob stories need checking to see if they are genuine. Whining about no food is a little disingenuous when there is an Xbox, Sky TV, 32'' plasma and two cars in the drive way,.

This domain is not short of smug pnicks.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

I often have to go in and buy furniture for houses. I like to deal with the smaller guys, chat to them and cut a cash deal for mid quality range.
Take beds for example. You can buy new rubbish mattresses for a few euro but a decent bed is not that expensive. The VdeP clients, the hard pressed single mothers, will take only the best, only the top shelf stuff.
When I was a student back in the 1970s, I did some charity work in one shop and bought some stuff too. Some woodworm was not a problem for me: a does of paraffin and job done. But the poor, unmarried mothers? No way. Top quality or stick it while the worker toils for the basics.
You talk to people who bought houses in the 1950s. Orange boxes were a common piece of furniture. But today's down trodden are, to read comments here, in conditions Dickens' characters would wince at even as they pick the best.
In my current experience at least, it is those from respectable homes who have fallen on hard times who face the cold wind. They do not know how to play the Social welfare/Joe Duffy game.

jo9jo

That really saddens me.
Hunger has 2 consequences.
1) the physical - you have seen children starving in famine areas on the TV
2) fear - the constant fear of having to worry if there will be food available tomorrow.

The bolded part above reminded me of a custom there is in Brasil in impoverished regions and the children are going hungry at the end of the day and the mother has no more food to feed them.
The mother puts water into the pan and then puts stones into the pan and 'cooks' these stones and tells the crying children to wait another little bit as the dinner will soon be ready.
This continues until the crying child sleeps.

bonkers

That poster has a neck like a jockeys bollocks. He admitted to fraudently doctoring his employees wage slips. A lot of people should try living on €188 a week when you have to pay huge utilities bills as well. I received a disconnection notice from Bord Gais this week as I owe them €273. They told me I use €28 a week in electricity a week, I was shocked at this amount but they told me that was below average. I don't know what I will do, I was told to go to VdeP but it would break my heart to do so. I always contributed to them and never thought I would need their services. Some people have no idea how tough it is.

Clanrickard

That really saddens me.
Hunger has 2 consequences.
1) the physical - you have seen children starving in famine areas on the TV
2) fear - the constant fear of having to worry if there will be food available tomorrow.

The bolded part above reminded me of a custom there is in Brasil in impoverished regions and the children are going hungry at the end of the day and the mother has no more food to feed them.
The mother puts water into the pan and then puts stones into the pan and 'cooks' these stones and tells the crying children to wait another little bit as the dinner will soon be ready.
This continues until the crying child sleeps.
Sad but not really relevant to Ireland though.

Clanrickard

Ad hominem is no substitute for facts.

That poster has a neck like a jockeys bollocks. He admitted to fraudently doctoring his employees wage slips. A lot of people should try living on €188 a week when you have to pay huge utilities bills as well. I received a disconnection notice from Bord Gais this week as I owe them €273. They told me I use €28 a week in electricity a week, I was shocked at this amount but they told me that was below average. I don't know what I will do, I was told to go to VdeP but it would break my heart to do so. I always contributed to them and never thought I would need their services. Some people have no idea how tough it is.
As your first sentence is a lie I presume the rest is.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies