• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Human Face of Austerity.

Barrycelona

just another vested interest with its begging bowl out in advance of budget day with some maudlin emotional anecdotes to ramp up the noise.

funny how through out the last 10 years when times were good - when there were lots of jobs, gov throwing money at the social welfare sector.........the poverty industry never got any smaller - only bigger?
So you would prefer to be aligned with the likes of Bertie, Seanie Fitz, Seanie Quinn, McCreevey, FF ex ministers and tax evading corps than show compassion for those who have little or nothing. I accept that there are people who, like the above, who will think nothing about ripping off the system but these are a small minority of the people who are actually in real need.

Every sector of Society have slackers, look around you, but why write off any sector because of the few slackers in each sector. Have you considered how easy it is to become homeless for example. The Mrs chucks you out because you don't get on, so where do you live, your income is divided between two families so you give the wife a little bit less, where does that leave the kids. The most frightening stat is that the largest growing sector of Homelessness is women and children.

49% of people in this country have less than E100 to live on at the end of each month. What if one of those family members get sick, have to pay for docs and meds and do not have a medical card.

You are on a good salary but your employer sees he can get a kid to do your job for half the cost so your income is gone and you are getting older.

You mention the Govt throwing money at SW. FF did this to try and get that vote and they did. But they did not put the proper checks in place and so fraud took over. In my opinion the biggest culprits apart fron the Govt are the CS / PS. They have failed miserably to implement the proper safeguards to carry out their jobs efficiently and effectively. There is far too much self interest at play. Name any Govt dept and the amount of waste is scandalous. There is money there to make this a better society but to do that we need the CS /PS to change their attitudes and start working for the interest of the country and not their own interest.

culmore

most if not all people in this country get enough money from the State to live pretty well if they manage the money correctly, some people in quangos well paid by the State put out the poor mouth in order to help keep their own jobs. Get rid of all ther do good quangos and then there will be more money for the less well off.

Good Irish Mammy

most if not all people in this country get enough money from the State to live pretty well if they manage the money correctly, some people in quangos well paid by the State put out the poor mouth in order to help keep their own jobs. Get rid of all ther do good quangos and then there will be more money for the less well off.
It is impossible to live "pretty well" on 188 euro a week.

BlueNovember

just another vested interest with its begging bowl out in advance of budget day with some maudlin emotional anecdotes to ramp up the noise.

funny how through out the last 10 years when times were good - when there were lots of jobs, gov throwing money at the social welfare sector.........the poverty industry never got any smaller - only bigger?
Probably because this country became too expensive for many people .Just because there were lots of jobs it doesn't necessarily mean people were paid well. All the way through the boom I had one holiday for a week in Kerry. One in ten years. I couldn't afford to go every year. A lot depends on your circumstances; if you are fairly early on in your mortgage,have three kids and only one income, Ireland was and is not a cheap place to live. For many,including me, the economic "boom" just made the place more expensive and forced me to buy a home fifty miles from where I was born and raised.I'm not complaining,by the way. This is just my personal observation.

bonkers

Go to VdeP. You will be one of the many hundreds to seek their help who have traditionally given in the past. Don't be ashamed. Think of it as this being your turn after you helped so many by your giving in the past. When you're back on your feet, as I guarantee you, you will be, you can give again. 188 euro a week is subsistence when you have utilities and other essential living costs apart from food. Ignore the gob************************es with their gambling/drinking comments etc. Can you go to Community Welfare? Though I know how soul destroying that can be.

Don't let them cut you off because you will have a whole lot of reconnection fees etc. i heard a woman from VdeP on the radio just the other day saying that very thing. If only people came to them before they were disconnectd it would save them a lot of money. This morning, make the call. Then make a cup of tea for yourself. You'll feel a bit better having done it. It will be mortifying maybe when you're waiting for them to arrive. But think of this as a cycle. You're down now, but you'll be back up. They might be able to give you some money for food as well which would free up a few quid for the gas and esb. Ask them if they could come to you regularly for a while. And please tell someone how bad things are for you at the moment. Generally people are kind. Look after yourself. Remember, you're irreplaceable.
Thanks for your kind remarks. I have sorted out the bill. I was in credit with them on the gas bill and I transferred it over. They won't cut us off for the moment. I pay our bills through MABS and they have been very helpful. It's very tough when your not working and ill. It causes so many problems not only financial. The tension in the house in the house is sometimes unbearable. The main topic is what are we going to do. People who go on about drinking, gambling and so on haven't got a clue. No doubt there are people that do that but for the vast majority that's a distant memory. I dread next year when they bring in these new charges. How the hell do we pay for them?

sic transit

Thanks for your kind remarks. I have sorted out the bill. I was in credit with them on the gas bill and I transferred it over. They won't cut us off for the moment. I pay our bills through MABS and they have been very helpful. It's very tough when your not working and ill. It causes so many problems not only financial. The tension in the house in the house is sometimes unbearable. The main topic is what are we going to do. People who go on about drinking, gambling and so on haven't got a clue. No doubt there are people that do that but for the vast majority that's a distant memory. I dread next year when they bring in these new charges. How the hell do we pay for them?
Can't imagine what you're going through but the one piece of advice I would give is keep talking to the people who need to be paid and let them know your situation.

bonkers

Can't imagine what you're going through but the one piece of advice I would give is keep talking to the people who need to be paid and let them know your situation.
I do that all the time. I'm not that badly off, I'm sure there are many worse off than me. The threat of disconnection really scared me and the attitude of the guy in Bord Gais was incredible. He seemed to be really enjoying it. We've cut back on everything. If they cut welfare in the budget then we will be in serious trouble.

sic transit

I do that all the time. I'm not that badly off, I'm sure there are many worse off than me. The threat of disconnection really scared me and the attitude of the guy in Bord Gais was incredible. He seemed to be really enjoying it. We've cut back on everything. If they cut welfare in the budget then we will be in serious trouble.
It's as much as you can do. Some of these people are utterly officious. I am inclined to fire off emails/letters whenever I meet this type of thing. It may do nothing but I feel a lot better after doing it.

Clanrickard

But who is worse, the person who lies, or the charity who believes them, lest an injustice be done? Should charities have a sign over the door saying 'thou shalt not lie'? And anyway the person who lies for charity is poorer in spirit than the one who doesn't, which is why many people quietly had little sympathy for poor Joe Purcell.

And how can you say that those on the dole are well looked after? Have you spoken to anyone on this benefit about their experience of it? Certainly we all know people who if the bed was work, would sleep on the floor, but you cannot make generalisations about a genre when you know nothing of the individual circumstances of each and every one within it.
I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. The local SVP people give charity to families on the dole who are allegedly poor. One family has six kids and they have family membership of the local swimming pool. How is this possible? They have two cars. In my sons class all bar 3 kids are on welfare. All have the latest gadgetry as my son repeatedly points out. How is this possible? Yet they get aid from SVP in the form of food, clothes and fuel. They are classed laughably as the "most vulnerable" by SVP.

49% of people in this country have less than E100 to live on at the end of each month.
Here we go again. Why do you trot out this figure? Who says it is correct? You uncritically accept this figure as it suits your agenda.

It's as much as you can do. Some of these people are utterly officious. I am inclined to fire off emails/letters whenever I meet this type of thing. It may do nothing but I feel a lot better after doing it.
The more strident you are the quicker they will help you out I find.

Barrycelona

I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. The local SVP people give charity to families on the dole who are allegedly poor. One family has six kids and they have family membership of the local swimming pool. How is this possible? They have two cars. In my sons class all bar 3 kids are on welfare. All have the latest gadgetry as my son repeatedly points out. How is this possible? Yet they get aid from SVP in the form of food, clothes and fuel. They are classed laughably as the "most vulnerable" by SVP.

Here we go again. Why do you trot out this figure? Who says it is correct? You uncritically accept this figure as it suits your agenda.

The more strident you are the quicker they will help you out I find.
If you are certain that this is the case and facts, although I doubt it, it is surely incumbent on you to inform the SVdeP that this is the case. I know a lot of people but there are very few where I know what their true financial circumstances are. I know of a guy in Cavan and he has the whole town out supporting his claim for additional SW payments. His name is Sean Quinn and nobody knows his true financial circumstances. Why do you trot out this figure?

NewDawn1

Reading the attached article, makes me wonder why it is that we seemingly rescue an 'establishment' at the cost of ordinary people.

It includes the case of a mother who "is moving tinned food from the cupboard to the fridge to make it look full in front of the children. She buys food going out of date as its cheaper. Her daily worry is what the family will eat today."

When will this race to the bottom actually end?

SVP dismisses Government 'rhetoric' - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 25, 2012
When we ALL poor as f*ck

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
She buys food going out of date as its cheaper. Her daily worry is what the family will eat today.
I'm sorry, but that's emotive bollocks. There's no one in Ireland; No one, who knows what hunger is.

Charities like the SVdP are exposed to the problems created by this society of unequals.
A society of unequals you say? What society has ever been equal I ask?

It is impossible to live "pretty well" on 188 euro a week.
Define "pretty well" please?

You know what I do in the supermarket when I see a roast marked down? Or Tuna cans on a 3-for 2? I buy them. And, full disclosure here, I am not poor. My household takes home more than average. If an arbitrary date forces a shop to mark it down, I buy it. And some on here are portraying such choices as constituting poverty is laughable. Go to India. That's poverty. If you're sick, you have my sympathy. You should be looked after. But the amount of sore-holing that goes on is as stomach-churning as it is contemptable. It's the lower middle who get shafted all the time. The majority who work and get paid a modest amount and get NOTHING in terms of hand-outs. Sore holers who "ring the social" everytime the washing machine needs fixing. And the kids with the best of clobber on. I'd have put it down to abloid populism if I hadn't observed it at close quarters. There are no hungry people in this country; none. Only children of feckless and criminally selfish wasters.

turdsl

When, when ,when are the government going to lead by example and cut their own expenses and huge salaries. Enda Kenny gets paid more than Obama fgs. I am sick of services being cut for the disabled while these fat cats are being driven around in their top of the range cars.
We see Mr Kennys advisers getting over €3000 a week, giving special salary increases
to former party hacks, They told us Miss Shortall should have respected her boss.

Why do we need advisers and junior ministers. We had a plane load of bosses here yesterday
Mr Kenny is still allowing 11 ministers on unvouched expenses, He is still paying €40000 a year
leaders allowances to independent TDs, utter nonsense,

Half a million more hours to cut from carers who look after the old in their own home.
Those are the politicians who promised they would look after the vulnerable,
Not much credibility or honesty there.

turdsl

Charities like the SVdP are exposed to the problems created by this society of unequals.

I know several people who work for this organisation and I take what they say and what their organisation says as being an accurate account of what is actually happening in this society.

So do I. One is a former Fine Gael politician, he says in all his years things were never looking as bad,

When you have an organisation like the St.dP coming out and asking the government
to hit the rich a bit harder, the rest can take no more,
It tells us exactly all about the fat cats who are running the country,

louis bernard

When, when ,when are the government going to lead by example and cut their own expenses and huge salaries. Enda Kenny gets paid more than Obama fgs. I am sick of services being cut for the disabled while these fat cats are being driven around in their top of the range cars.
No he doesn't (but he is still paid too much) as are our government ministers county managers etc.
The Taoiseach

Troy_337

I often have to go in and buy furniture for houses. I like to deal with the smaller guys, chat to them and cut a cash deal for mid quality range.
Take beds for example. You can buy new rubbish mattresses for a few euro but a decent bed is not that expensive. The VdeP clients, the hard pressed single mothers, will take only the best, only the top shelf stuff.
When I was a student back in the 1970s, I did some charity work in one shop and bought some stuff too. Some woodworm was not a problem for me: a does of paraffin and job done. But the poor, unmarried mothers? No way. Top quality or stick it while the worker toils for the basics.
You talk to people who bought houses in the 1950s. Orange boxes were a common piece of furniture. But today's down trodden are, to read comments here, in conditions Dickens' characters would wince at even as they pick the best.
In my current experience at least, it is those from respectable homes who have fallen on hard times who face the cold wind. They do not know how to play the Social welfare/Joe Duffy game.
No one should ever purchase used "rubbish" mattresses, as an old mattress can carry bugs. And since when is motherhood not a job? When you were a child did you sleep on tossed out mattresses? When talking about getting only the best let's try to remember children are involved when a woman becomes a mother.

Cooperate for freedom

I know several people who work for this organisation and I take what they say and what their organisation says as being an accurate account of what is actually happening in this society.
The SVP are exposed to the people who contact it requesting its services. Many of these people have a range of emotional problems as well as usually being dependent on social welfare. They are rarely contacted I am sure by competent emotionally stable people dependent on social welfare or those on social welfare who are willing to readjust their spending in line with their new much lower income.

Clanrickard

If you are certain that this is the case and facts, although I doubt it, it is surely incumbent on you to inform the SVdeP that this is the case.
Why? It is nothing to do with me.

Clanrickard

Not when the "facts" are dreamed up by gurriers.
You are a bit of a tool. Like a lot of hand-wringers you launch into vitriol whenever your world view is challenged.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies