The Hurricane Ophelia Thread

Wascurito

It just has been confirmed by Met Eireann that Ophelia is the most powerful hurricane on record to have ever been this far east in the Atlantic. Now, I'm no hurricanologist but that would surely make her bigger than Hurricane Debbie that killed 18 people here in 1961.

I note, in passing, that we were only up to D in late September 1961. Now, in 2017, we've reached O.

Anyway, I think she deserves her own thread. It might even calm her down a bit. She's due to strike tomorrow morning. Stay safe everyone and - assuming you have hatches to batten down - batten down dem hatches!

RTÉ News: Ophelia is the most powerful hurricane to have ever been this far east in the Atlantic on record

Sync

Bizarre that the schools in the affected counties haven't made the call to cancel tomorrow. Seems a required step after Bus Eireann cancelled the buses. So now you either cancel or you'll have more cars on the road than normal taking kids to school on the worst weather day ever.

derryman

Just looking at the map of Ophelia s projected progress. It widens as it progresses, does this mean that it diminishes in verocity?

Volatire

It just has been confirmed by Met Eireann that Ophelia is the most powerful hurricane on record to have ever been this far east in the Atlantic. Now, I'm no hurricanologist but that would surely make her bigger than Hurricane Debbie that killed 18 people here in 1961.

I note, in passing, that we were only up to D in late September 1961. Now, in 2017, we've reached O.

Anyway, I think she deserves her own thread. It might even calm her down a bit. She's due to strike tomorrow morning. Stay safe everyone and - assuming you have hatches to batten down - batten down dem hatches!

RTÉ News: Ophelia is the most powerful hurricane to have ever been this far east in the Atlantic on record
zoo

Wascurito

Just looking at the map of Ophelia s projected progress. It widens as it progresses, does this mean that it diminishes in verocity?
Is that widening not a representation of the possible path? The further away they plot its track, the less certain they are?

I think it will lose power as it moves north because it's passing over cooler waters but the North Atlantic is one degree Celsius warmer this year than normal. That's a lot in meteorological terms.

Last edited:

derryman

Is that widening not a representation of the possible path? The further away they plot its track, the less certain they are?

I think it will lose lower as it moves north because it's passing over cooler waters but the North Atlantic is one degree Celsius warmer this year than normal. That's a lot in meteorological terms.
Ah right. So it could pass north or south of us here in county Derry then.

johnhan278

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Wascurito

Ah right. So it could pass north or south of us here in county Derry then.
Yesterday, the Met Office was saying that there's a 100km band either side of the central path that it could drift across.

Catalpast

I remember my Uncle telling me about Hurricane Debbie

- he had to drive from Dublin to Sligo through it all ...:eek:

Didn't know 18 people here killed here ....:?

Hopefully nothing like that will happen this time round....

Mother Nature can be a Bitch though.....

Wascurito

Volatire

There's already a thread on this.

Moderators, merge.

Wascurito

A family of four from the parish I was born in was killed in that hurricane.

There's already a thread on this.

Moderators, merge.
Threads about various storm events. I think this (and any other named storm) deserves its own thread.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Sure. No worries. If it is a named storm then I'd agree. Useful to link already covered info though into the new thread.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Bizarre that the schools in the affected counties haven't made the call to cancel tomorrow. Seems a required step after Bus Eireann cancelled the buses. So now you either cancel or you'll have more cars on the road than normal taking kids to school on the worst weather day ever.
They're right to wait. The storm could easily have veered west...BE cancelled when it was 2,000km away. Storm seems to have shifted east, so I expect most schools across the country will be announced as closed, this evening.

derryman

I remember our henhousesimply disappeared and it was several days before the most of the hens returned.
Having said that I am assuming that was 1961 and not some other large storm.

Popular Threads

Most Replies