The hypocrisy of our attitude to domestic violence

runwiththewind

I was watching Room to Improve last night, yeah I know, but it was a Sunday evening... Anyway, the couple featured seemed to be very happy together but at one point during a bit of banter, the small petite woman put her hands around her taller husband's neck in a mock strangle. Everyone laughed. If the tables were turned, and the man had put his hands around the neck of the woman, I can guarantee that Twitter would have been awash wih condemnations. It put me in mind of a man I knew years ago who was also much taller than his wife, but used to say she was "6 foot 6 with a poker in her hand".

Why is a woman throttling a man considered acceptable to broadcast, when the opposite is not?
You do realize that messing around, horseplay and winding up your partner is a foreplay.

Who among us doesn't enjoy it.

Notachipanoaktree

You do realize that messing around, horseplay and winding up your partner is a foreplay.

Who among us doesn't enjoy it.
Even horseplay has to have a 'stop' signal. Yes?

It has to be verified that what is happening is indeed horseplay. Just as, it has to be verified that sex is on the cards.

New world order all round, yes?

cricket

I was watching Room to Improve last night, yeah I know, but it was a Sunday evening... Anyway, the couple featured seemed to be very happy together but at one point during a bit of banter, the small petite woman put her hands around her taller husband's neck in a mock strangle. Everyone laughed. If the tables were turned, and the man had put his hands around the neck of the woman, I can guarantee that Twitter would have been awash wih condemnations. It put me in mind of a man I knew years ago who was also much taller than his wife, but used to say she was "6 foot 6 with a poker in her hand".

Why is a woman throttling a man considered acceptable to broadcast, when the opposite is not?
Should have washed your hair instead.

Reasunach

The only thing that "offended" me was the assumption that horseplay is fine if it's a woman doing it, but not if it's a man. Then you have all the snowflakes crying foul because the man is obviously a bully. To a more dramatic extent, you see all these people saying how sorry they feel for poor Melania Trump, how unhappy she looks and making assumptions that she is in a horrible relationship. She's a big girl, if she wanted out I'm sure she'd be well able to do it. Like I said, I'm all for equality in relationships so I was surprised at the non-response, although obviously I shouldn't have been.

Sheeple_Waker

The only thing that "offended" me was the assumption that horseplay is fine if it's a woman doing it, but not if it's a man. Then you have all the snowflakes crying foul because the man is obviously a bully. To a more dramatic extent, you see all these people saying how sorry they feel for poor Melania Trump, how unhappy she looks and making assumptions that she is in a horrible relationship. She's a big girl, if she wanted out I'm sure she'd be well able to do it. Like I said, I'm all for equality in relationships so I was surprised at the non-response, although obviously I shouldn't have been.
So in other words, you started this thread not from concern for domestic violence but to troll 'snowflakes'. Glad we cleared that up :roll:

Watcher2

Then you agree simple bullying simple shoving, simple slapping, simple pushing, simple abuse is always acceptable, eh? remembering that the other person may just be on the brink of being pissed off with it.

I think not. It needs to stop. It's not funny anymore.

It is in fact real 'bulling' and it is almost exclusively the preserve of women.
How in lord lepping jaysus' name did you reach that conclusion?

Watcher2

It was your OP.

It was your assumption.

You have offended yourself.:roll:

Notachipanoaktree

The bit you mentioned that I think simple bullying etc is fine.
1. Sarchasm/ragging, k.

based on last sentence

The simple fact of the matter is "offence" is everywhere. People get offended very easily these days,. I heard on the radio this morning that pregnant women are not to be described as "expectant mothers" anymore for fear of them....or someone.....being offended. They also talked about "assigned genders" or some such boloxology instead of men or women. Total horsesh1t.

No one deserves to be physically abused and the laws should apply equally if some one is abused, be they male or female, by a member of the opposite sex or the same sex. But from the OP it sounds like there was merely a bit of jesting going on but felt the needs to be offended anyway.

I would suggest he felt the need to exploit the simple fact to make a very valid point. I concur. Is that ok with you?

It has to be verified that what is happening is indeed horseplay. Just as, it has to be verified that sex is on the cards.

Last edited:

Watcher2

1. Sarchasm/ragging, k.

based on last sentence

The simple fact of the matter is "offence" is everywhere. People get offended very easily these days,. I heard on the radio this morning that pregnant women are not to be described as "expectant mothers" anymore for fear of them....or someone.....being offended. They also talked about "assigned genders" or some such boloxology instead of men or women. Total horsesh1t.

No one deserves to be physically abused and the laws should apply equally if some one is abused, be they male or female, by a member of the opposite sex or the same sex. But from the OP it sounds like there was merely a bit of jesting going on but felt the needs to be offended anyway.

I would suggest he felt the need to exploit the simple fact to make a very valid point. I concur. Is that ok with you?

You are conflating two issues. The whole sex/rape ruling came about as a result of some bloke shagging his bird while she was asleep and I think there were drugs involved but could be mistaken on the last part. Either way, she was in no position to object if she so wished. That seems to be the point you are missing.

But I agree with your over all point of new world order rubbish.

Notachipanoaktree

BTW.

I would state that there is an exponentially growing population of men

1. Unemployed

2. In prison.

3. Living in a bed-sit.

4. Dead by their own hand.

Because, they didn't get the joke and somebody changed the rules when they weren't looking.
Somebody also forgot to tell the women. It's not funny anymore.

Last edited:

Reasunach

BTW.

I would state that there is an exponentially growing population of men

1. Unemployed

2. In prison.

3. Living in a bed-sit.

Because, they didn't get the joke and somebody changed the rules when they weren't looking.
Somebody also forgot to tell the women. It's not funny anymore.
That's my point exactly. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Notachipanoaktree

You are conflating two issues. The whole sex/rape ruling came about as a result of some bloke shagging his bird while she was asleep and I think there were drugs involved but could be mistaken on the last part. Either way, she was in no position to object if she so wished. That seems to be the point you are missing.

But I agree with your over all point of new world order rubbish.
So! Not sarcasm this time.

Then you agree simple bullying simple shoving, simple slapping, simple pushing, simple abuse is always acceptable, eh? remembering that the other person may just be on the brink of being pissed off with it.

based on

But I agree with your over all point of new world order rubbish

and your silly attempt to separate the issue into suitable self-contained parts.

Watcher2

So! Not sarcasm this time.

based on

But I agree with your over all point of new world order rubbish

and your silly attempt to separate the issue into suitable self-contained parts.
Stop telling me with what I agree because you are wrong.

Notachipanoaktree

Stop telling me with what I agree because you are wrong.
Clearly. I am not wrong.

You are just confused. At being confronted with something appalling that you've been getting away with unchallenged for some time now.

Do you agree that simple pushing, simple shoving, simple slapping, simple abuse, and simple bullying is the almost exclusive preserve of women?

Last edited:

Watcher2

Clearly. I am not wrong.

You are just confused. At being confronted with something appalling that you've been getting away with unchallenged for some time now.
I cant wait. Please explain what the fvck it is your are talking about. Be very clear now. I am thick and a bit slow so spell it out please. What exactly is it that I have been getting away with.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies