The Immediate Repercussions of President Donald J. Trump (Second Thread)

Jack Walsh

Is the moron saying the FBI had no warant to raid Cohen..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Elie Honig on Twitter:

We have become so inculcated to Trump's jaw dropping language we can sometimes shrug.
But we should pause here.

To call someone a "rat" is the language of the Mob, yet here we have it in a POTUS official White House Press Release.
Just staggering, and past presidents, most especially GOP ones, will be spinning in their graves at the gutter level language of a President.

But far more importantly, look at the context, look at what the use of this word means.
"Rat" refers to someone who is telling the truth about criminal behaviour of a friend or associate.
Trump is admitting therefore that Cohen is telling the truth. Trump's problem is therefore with Cohen "ratting", not that he is telling lies (which of course he isn't)

Imagine if the Garda commissioner tweeted that Maurice Mc Cabe was a "rat"
He'd be sacked on the spot.
But Trump, "meh"?

O'Sullivan Bere

When the Irish rugby coach Joe Schmidt leaves his job in 2019, maybe the Democrats should hire him as Campaign Manager?

Schmidt learned a hell of the lesson in 2015, when Argentina slaughtered an unprepared, under-strength and unfocused Irish team. You can see that he has learned the lesson in that now Ireland have a backup player (actually, two backups) in every position, and have a game plan everyone buys into and trains for. Execution is usually precise, cold-blooded, ruthless and usually ending in victory. Played 12, lost 1 in 2018, Six Nations Champions, Ranked 2nd in the World (but beating 1st Ranked Team).

I hope Democrats forget about polls (except as an input to guide the campaign) but focus on beating Trump and the GOP in every facet from policy to Presidential character. Execution should be precise, ruthless and cold-blooded, with a victorious end.
Agreed. The Dems need to be mindful of the EC rules again for the 2020 race. If Trump wins all the same states as last time except PA and MI, he wins. The Dems need to put top groundwork effort into securing PA, WI, MI, and FL and assure a good POTUS ticket without primary race chaos, circular firing squads and lasting divisions that benefit Trump. They need to treat the game as already started.

Ardillaun

It's striking how many generals have gotten into trouble when they took civilian jobs in Washington or became celebs. It would seem that a brilliant career in the military may not prepare one well for such a transition.

Ardillaun

Trump is marinated in wrongdoing and words like 'rat' come naturally to him. Unlike Tony Soprano, however, he seems to have made no effort to isolate his family from such crimes and they may pay a price too, perhaps even before he does.

O'Sullivan Bere

It's striking how many generals have gotten into trouble when they took civilian jobs in Washington or became celebs. It would seem that a career in the military often doesn't prepare one well for such a transition.
You won't get rich in the military. It also requires a disciplined and structured life to a dedicated higher cause than yourself. Washington DC and especially GOP DC flips that script.

Wagmore

Elie Honig on Twitter:

We have become so inculcated to Trump's jaw dropping language we can sometimes shrug.
But we should pause here.

To call someone a "rat" is the language of the Mob, yet here we have it in a POTUS official White House Press Release.
Just staggering, and past presidents, most especially GOP ones, will be spinning in their graves at the gutter level language of a President.

But far more importantly, look at the context, look at what the use of this word means.
"Rat" refers to someone who is telling the truth about criminal behaviour of a friend or associate.
Trump is admitting therefore that Cohen is telling the truth. Trump's problem is therefore with Cohen "ratting", not that he is telling lies (which of course he isn't)

Imagine if the Garda commissioner tweeted that Maurice Mc Cabe was a "rat"
He'd be sacked on the spot.
But Trump, "meh"?
Arguably, the most famous line in American culture---"You Dirty Rat."----James Cagney. In almost every movie he was in. About to be outed as secret Mafia Don?!!!.You guys are so funny. In a very scary sort of way.
Jimmy Cagney ---You dirty Rat - Google Search

Last edited:

sic transit

I see the DOW tanked ANOTHER 500 points today
Chap on MI today suggested that the bear market has finally arrived but that the present slump might be an over-correction.

Paddyc

Agreed. The Dems need to be mindful of the EC rules again for the 2020 race. If Trump wins all the same states as last time except PA and MI, he wins. The Dems need to put top groundwork effort into securing PA, WI, MI, and FL and assure a good POTUS ticket without primary race chaos, circular firing squads and lasting divisions that benefit Trump. They need to treat the game as already started.
Pennsylvania isn't looking great for him.

Republican strategists think that if Donald Trump doesn't win Pennsylvania, he is unlikely to get a second term. After all, it is the Keystone State. And things are not looking good for him there. The Republican Senate candidate this year, Lou Barletta, lost by 700,000 votes. That's actually not bad compared to the GOP gubernatorial candidate, Scott Wagner, who lost by more than 800,000 votes. In 2017, Democrat Conor Lamb won a House special election deep in Trump country. Last month, three more Republican House seats flipped.

The bleeding has led to finger pointing, mostly in the direction of the GOP state party chairman Val DiGiorgio. He was elected by just two votes (173-171) and the party is still badly fractured. It's also close to broke, with only $94,000 in the bank (compared to $1 million four years ago). He is under fire from all directions. The combination of some terrible election results and a broke and fractured state party is not a great way to start an election cycle in a state Trump won by just 0.7% of the vote. (V)

Jack Walsh

Pennsylvania isn't looking great for him.
If they look at the map, Biden is their lock.
He nails them PA for certain, Michigan and Wisconsin almost certainly and Ohio and Iowa very probable.

I'd prefer a young liberal firebrand for a once in a generation shift of power, but if you want to play safe and give yourself the highest probability iof removing Trump,. then Biden for me is a no brainier

Trump warning Fed in tweet this morning not to raise rates.
Absolutely unprecedented interference.
Trying to bully Fed into making decisions to try to prop up his phony (and fast fading) stock market rally

If I were Jerome Powell I would call him out publicly and say this sort of political pressure is not helpful and should stop.

His tweet also suggests Powell and Fed should "ignore their numbers" and go with their gut.
Sweet Jesus

The equivalent of checking your cancer stricken parent out of Sloane Kettering and insist they place their welfare with a local homeopath

Last edited:
If they look at the map, Biden is their lock.
He nails them PA for certain, Michigan and Wisconsin almost certainly and Ohio and Iowa very probable.

I'd prefer a young liberal firebrand for a once in a generation shift of power, but if you want to play safe and give yourself the highest probability iof removing Trump,. then Biden for me is a no brainier

Trump warning Fed in tweet this morning not to raise rates.
Absolutely unprecedented interference.
Trying to bully Fed into making decisions to try to prop up his phony (and fast fading) stock market rally

If I were Jerome Powell I would call him out publicly and say this sort of political pressure is not helpful and should stop.

His tweet also suggests Powell and Fed should "ignore their numbers" and go with their gut.
Sweet Jesus

The equivalent of checking your cancer stricken parent out of Sloane Kettering and insist they place tehir welfare with a local homeopath
Obama's words echo in my ears - "The Republicans drove the economy into the ditch and we are slowly getting it back out" This time Trump is going to kill the world's economy for a much longer time. Biden for experience and O'Rourke for energy and back-up. I think that is the best combination.

owedtojoy

It's striking how many generals have gotten into trouble when they took civilian jobs in Washington or became celebs. It would seem that a brilliant career in the military may not prepare one well for such a transition.
Yes, Petraeus being a paradigm .... went from a potential GOP Presidential candidate in 2008 to a has-been Caesar.

Being a senior military man is less of a guarantee to Presidential office than it is thought. Service in a lower rank can help (Bush Snr, Carter), not even in combat (George W Bush), but no service at all is not an impediment (Reagan, Clinton, Obama, Trump)

MsDaisyC

NYCKY

Yes, Petraeus being a paradigm .... went from a potential GOP Presidential candidate in 2008 to a has-been Caesar.

Being a senior military man is less of a guarantee to Presidential office than it is thought. Service in a lower rank can help (Bush Snr, Carter), not even in combat (George W Bush), but no service at all is not an impediment (Reagan, Clinton, Obama, Trump)
Reagan served in the military.