The inevitable hard border. Civil disobedience and other wheezes to make it flacid

firefly123

It's coming folks. There isn't a way to square the circles the Tory party have created for themselves. They've painted more red lines than a spelling teacher in a Healy Rae classroom. There's gonna be some sort of mutated monstrosity of a hatchet job of a border coming our way.

Whilst I have little doubt it will probably spontainously combust as an abomination in the eyes of all normalcy, the strange fish of conservative Britain are mated to the zealous gombeens of "Ulster" unionism and will give birth to this creature.

I wonder what will happen on the first day it comes into existence? The contractor tasked with sticking in the drone docking station/cctv/dream-catcher/fairy dust distributor along some boreen in the middle of bandit country better have van insurance!

Who will be the first republican hacker to do a d-dos attack* on the magical make a wish website where you log your intention not to smuggle?

Will cows be forced to swear a loyalty oath to the queen?
If a tree falls across the border and there isn't a camera scanning it's QR code did it really happen?

Joking aside the sheer stupidity of this plan should be enough to stop it but the momentum of ignorance behind it means they will try to bull through.

I expect the usual argument ala the daily express that they just won't bother enforcing it will be the fall back option. The WTO is very clear on what that means. Imagine being the British civil servant tasked with making new trade deals and the first item on the agenda from Johnny foreigner will be "this is all very lovely Sir Humphrey but we will just avail of the Most favoured Nation clause under WTO rules and ship our glass encrusted rat dropping cereal for kids (Now with Weals disease) directly to Dover thank you very much".

I can't imagine the British army or PSNI will fancy a sun holiday in Armagh anytime soon.

There is only one solution. Everyone knows what that is. Even the DUP know. The mad thing is it would make the north wealthy and give it the best of both worlds. Truly the Unionists have the worst traits of both nations. The begrudgery of the Irish mixed with the arrogance of the British.

So what happens when a border that isn't there, isn't enforced and isn't recognised meets with reality?
How will the people of the border deal with the thing?
What does the UK do? What do we do? If we can keep this solely about the border rather than the circus that is brexit Britain please.

*No. I don't know what that means either. Don't push me ok!

between the bridges

[video=youtube;rQZ6-bdMat0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQZ6-bdMat0[/video]

HenryHorace

It's coming folks. There isn't a way to square the circles the Tory party have created for themselves. They've painted more red lines than a spelling teacher in a Healy Rae classroom. There's gonna be some sort of mutated monstrosity of a hatchet job of a border coming our way.

Whilst I have little doubt it will probably spontainously combust as an abomination in the eyes of all normalcy, the strange fish of conservative Britain are mated to the zealous gombeens of "Ulster" unionism and will give birth to this creature.

I wonder what will happen on the first day it comes into existence? The contractor tasked with sticking in the drone docking station/cctv/dream-catcher/fairy dust distributor along some boreen in the middle of bandit country better have van insurance!

Who will be the first republican hacker to do a d-dos attack* on the magical make a wish website where you log your intention not to smuggle?

Will cows be forced to swear a loyalty oath to the queen?
If a tree falls across the border and there isn't a camera scanning it's QR code did it really happen?

Joking aside the sheer stupidity of this plan should be enough to stop it but the momentum of ignorance behind it means they will try to bull through.

I expect the usual argument ala the daily express that they just won't bother enforcing it will be the fall back option. The WTO is very clear on what that means. Imagine being the British civil servant tasked with making new trade deals and the first item on the agenda from Johnny foreigner will be "this is all very lovely Sir Humphrey but we will just avail of the Most favoured Nation clause under WTO rules and ship our glass encrusted rat dropping cereal for kids (Now with Weals disease) directly to Dover thank you very much".

I can't imagine the British army or PSNI will fancy a sun holiday in Armagh anytime soon.

There is only one solution. Everyone knows what that is. Even the DUP know. The mad thing is it would make the north wealthy and give it the best of both worlds. Truly the Unionists have the worst traits of both nations. The begrudgery of the Irish mixed with the arrogance of the British.

So what happens when a border that isn't there, isn't enforced and isn't recognised meets with reality?
How will the people of the border deal with the thing?
What does the UK do? What do we do? If we can keep this solely about the border rather than the circus that is brexit Britain please.

*No. I don't know what that means either. Don't push me ok!
The EU are going to use this as an example of what happens when you row against the tide. It's time for us to come to our senses, grow up and take our leave from the EU.

Eire1976

Time to get the homeless to move up north, get the vote for unity up

firefly123

The EU are going to use this as an example of what happens when you row against the tide. It's time for us to come to our senses, grow up and take our leave from the EU.
I see you edited out the stand on our own two feet bit.

So to summarise your two line solution.

Leave EU and return to feeding cattle to the UK.

Angler

They're too thick to see that their best chance of staying "not-Irish" is in some form of a Protectorate under the Aegis of the EU/UK, Fundies to the bitter end.

Socratus O' Pericles

Collapse in the demand for bleach:

[video=youtube;zU934eIv5ZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU934eIv5ZI[/video]

Franzoni

It probably kills some of our closed borders/ less patriotic contributors that a Polish man stood up to the UK last week and said "Ireland first "

Tribal

Welcome to my ignore list.

GDPR

The UK never used the BA to enforce Customs controls on the Border and under the GFA they cannot deploy the BA for anything other than normal duties.

2. The British Government will make progress towards the objective of asearly a return as possible to normal security arrangements in NorthernIreland, consistent with the level of threat and with a published overallstrategy, dealing with: (i) the reduction of the numbers and role of the Armed Forces deployedin Northern Ireland to levels compatible with a normal peaceful society; (ii) the removal of security installations; (iii) the removal of emergency powers in Northern Ireland; and (iv) other measures appropriate to and compatible with a normalpeaceful society.

The PSNI dont have the numbers to protect a hard Border and never did. it would cost tens of millions. In the 70s and 80s the RUC was double the current strength of the PSNI and they could not secure the Border then, even supported by the BA. Further they say they WILL NOT protect a hard Border, because it would split police loyalties, being perceived as discriminatory to one sector of the community.

So-called smart borders which rely on electronic pre-clearance have manned customs stations, barriers, CCTV and number plate recognition systems. This is because people and goods carry different risks and are separated into two different flows. There is no smart border without physical infrastructure and guards anywhere.

If an invisible tech border was possible there would be one already somewhere in Europe. Anyone with a shred of IT knowledge knows you cannot get one up and running in 12 months, so it is good to go on Brexit Day. Norway and Sweden took 15 years to implement their system and they still rely on physical barriers. Its all a total nonsense.

Erudite Caveman

Welcome to my ignore list.
I have him on a soft ignore. So... like, I ignore him, but there is no actual hard setting in the database to stop all of his crazy from passing from his brain to my eyes. Otherwise I'd miss all his barstool 'wisdom' on the football thread

shiel

Look Brexit is English racist contempt for fellow European citizens and especially for the citizens of this former colony.

There is no solution.

Just put up with the consequences like we had to do for eight centuries of colonial rule.

Ireniall

But, but but -we can do trade deals and sell trinkets to the diaspora and lots of things!

Erudite Caveman

But, but but -we can do trade deals and sell trinkets to the diaspora and lots of things!
We can make our own steel. Why don't we already? I'll tell you. A) the EU won't let us because they want to keep us down, and 2) our politicians have given away all our steal (yeah, you heard me...STEAL) to the Germans and French corporations in return for a pat on the head and some apartments diverted from NAMA. Just thinking about it makes the inside of my skull feel sooooo itchy!

statsman

We can make our own steel. Why don't we already? I'll tell you. A) the EU won't let us because they want to keep us down, and 2) our politicians have given away all our steal (yeah, you heard me...STEAL) to the Germans and French corporations in return for a pat on the head and some apartments diverted from NAMA.
We could milk our own oil, too, if we weren't so cowed by the Eurocrats.

runwiththewind

If nationalists are going to sit back and take it, they deserve everything that's coming

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies