The inevitable hard border. Civil disobedience and other wheezes to make it flacid

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
It's coming folks. There isn't a way to square the circles the Tory party have created for themselves. They've painted more red lines than a spelling teacher in a Healy Rae classroom. There's gonna be some sort of mutated monstrosity of a hatchet job of a border coming our way.

Whilst I have little doubt it will probably spontainously combust as an abomination in the eyes of all normalcy, the strange fish of conservative Britain are mated to the zealous gombeens of "Ulster" unionism and will give birth to this creature.

I wonder what will happen on the first day it comes into existence? The contractor tasked with sticking in the drone docking station/cctv/dream-catcher/fairy dust distributor along some boreen in the middle of bandit country better have van insurance!

Who will be the first republican hacker to do a d-dos attack* on the magical make a wish website where you log your intention not to smuggle?

Will cows be forced to swear a loyalty oath to the queen?
If a tree falls across the border and there isn't a camera scanning it's QR code did it really happen?

Joking aside the sheer stupidity of this plan should be enough to stop it but the momentum of ignorance behind it means they will try to bull through.

I expect the usual argument ala the daily express that they just won't bother enforcing it will be the fall back option. The WTO is very clear on what that means. Imagine being the British civil servant tasked with making new trade deals and the first item on the agenda from Johnny foreigner will be "this is all very lovely Sir Humphrey but we will just avail of the Most favoured Nation clause under WTO rules and ship our glass encrusted rat dropping cereal for kids (Now with Weals disease) directly to Dover thank you very much".

I can't imagine the British army or PSNI will fancy a sun holiday in Armagh anytime soon.

There is only one solution. Everyone knows what that is. Even the DUP know. The mad thing is it would make the north wealthy and give it the best of both worlds. Truly the Unionists have the worst traits of both nations. The begrudgery of the Irish mixed with the arrogance of the British.

So what happens when a border that isn't there, isn't enforced and isn't recognised meets with reality?
How will the people of the border deal with the thing?
What does the UK do? What do we do? If we can keep this solely about the border rather than the circus that is brexit Britain please.

*No. I don't know what that means either. Don't push me ok!
I said it at the start that we would see a hard Border.

Many of you on here laughed at the King, but the King, as usual, was right.

ALL HAIL THE FCKING KING!

firefly123

I said it at the start that we would see a hard Border.

Many of you on here laughed at the King, but the King, as usual, was right.

ALL HAIL THE FCKING KING!
Kudos to your majesty.

Any other predictions now?

shiel

written on Jan. 31 2017.

The article by Teresa May on January 31 highlights how contradictory the vote for Brexit was of all the laudable aspirations expressed by the PM of the UK both during her visit and in the article itself.

Firstly she tells us that she wants to give a 'clear message that the UK government is committed to preserving and enhancing the unique relationship between our countries and our peoples'. The vote for Brexit and the views expressed daily by the British media and those who supported Brexit say the direct opposite.

Secondly she assures us that the UK will 'cooperate with European partners in everything'. If that were the case the UK would not have made that more difficult by voting to leave the existing arrangements in which nearly thirty democratic countries have a signed a treaty to cooperate in matters of mutual interest.

Thirdly she tells us that she is 'aware of what is at stake in Ireland and Northern Ireland'. By raising major questions about the operation of the Good Friday Agreement through making the land border across the island of Ireland a major frontier between opposing powers Brexit did not show much awareness of what is at stake.

Fourthly Teresa May says that she wants to reassure Irish people that 'our trade ties will remain strong and even be strengthened'. Leaving the 500 million single market and opposing the free movement of people is hardly the way to strengthen trade ties.

No matter what Teresa May says now the vote for Brexit has the potential for major negative consequences not alone in Ireland and the UK but throughout Europe for years to come.

Clanrickard

Look Brexit is English racist contempt for fellow European citizens and especially for the citizens of this former colony.

There is no solution.

Just put up with the consequences like we had to do for eight centuries of colonial rule.
Oh god! My head hurts reading that stupidity. Also we were never a colony. Fecks sake read a bloody history book.

wombat

fifilawe

Talking about "Tunneling and smuggling in Palestine" ,if I had a hardware store near the border I 'd start importing in tunneling gear , there is going to be a flourishing business and have young slim recruits to do the "runs through the tunnels".
The farmer on either side can take his cut from the "operation" and keep the entrances well camouflaged.The border will be a Godsend to the Blackmarket and both govts will lose out.

The Field Marshal

Look Brexit is English racist contempt for fellow European citizens and especially for the citizens of this former colony.

There is no solution.

Just put up with the consequences like we had to do for eight centuries of colonial rule.
And the consequences are the EU insisting on a hard border on the island of Ireland.

The. Brits have rules it out but your EU friends want customs posts outside Newry and Derry etc.

That is what you have worked for and continue to work for .

:roll:

pedagogus

And the consequences are the EU insisting on a hard border on the island of Ireland.

The. Brits have rules it out but your EU friends want customs posts outside Newry and Derry etc.

That is what you have worked for and continue to work for .

:roll:
I don't follow your logic. The Brits may have ruled out a hard border but they have utterly failed to explain how that is to happen legally or practically if they leave the customs union and single market. It is up to them not the EU to come forward with solutions instead of nonsense.

Tribal

Oh god! My head hurts reading that stupidity. Also we were never a colony. Fecks sake read a bloody history book.
Welcome to my ignore list.

The Field Marshal

I don't follow your logic. The Brits may have ruled out a hard border but they have utterly failed to explain how that is to happen legally or practically if they leave the customs union and single market. It is up to them not the EU to come forward with solutions instead of nonsense.
I am simply reporting the political reality.
Britain unlike the EU have stated they do not want a hard border.

The EU have stated that a hard border will happen unless Britain jumps to the EU tune etc.

That in effect is playing dangerous politics with the GFA.

There is no hard border between Switzerland and the EU and the former country is not a member.

shiel

The oul' invasion, the oul' plantations, the oul' penal laws, the oul' famine, the oul' refusal to implement home rule etc over nearly eight centuries never happened.

I have seen it all now.

wombat

shiel

The English have torn up the Good Friday Agreement through voting for Brexit.

Now they want to blame everyone else.

And some people agree with them!

Tribal

The oul' invasion, the oul' plantations, the oul' penal laws, the oul' famine, the oul' refusal to implement home rule etc over nearly eight centuries never happened.

I have seen it all now.
It's actually amazing that there's Irish people who believe the Brits did only good in Ireland and that the only reason we starved in our millions was because of blight, rather than zero land right, insecure tenure leading to over reliance on one crop. They even cite the work houses with their hidden mass burials as brit just trying to help us from our lazy indulgent selves.

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

The EU are going to use this as an example of what happens when you row against the tide. It's time for us to come to our senses, grow up and take our leave from the EU.
I am a member of a gym. If I don't renew my membership, I don't get back in. I can't just wander in and use the facilities as and when I choose, if I haven't paid up.

Erudite Caveman

It's actually amazing that there's Irish people who believe the Brits did only in Ireland and that the only reason we starved in our millions was because of blight, rather than zero land right, insecure tenure leading to over reliance on one crop. They even cite the work houses with their hidden mass burials as brit just trying to help us from our lazy indulgent selves.
There isn't one potato grower that bears responsibility for his fate during the famine. And yes, British policies did have a negative effect. But ultimately the famine was a natural disaster - a society whose population ballooned on the back of technological changes, then catastrophically crumbling because of an over-dependence on a resource, in this case a single food source. It has happened time and time again in human history.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies