The Infraction System: Warnings, Infractions, Temporary Bans, and Permanent Bans

Target

Administrator
Posts or member behaviors which violate the rules and guidelines of this website may receive an official warning (sometimes called a "yellow card") or an official infraction (sometimes called a "red card").

If you receive either a warning or an infraction, an automatic Private Message (PM) is generated indicating the specific infraction.

Official Warnings do not add any infraction points to your total.

Official Infractions add a varying number of points, currently ranging 1 to 5 for a single infraction depending on the severity of the infraction.

Infraction points automatically expire after a period of time, normally 10 days, unless they are extended for additional violations of the same rule.

If a member earns a total of 10 infraction points or more, that results in an automatic temporary ban which remains in place until the number of accumulated infraction points drops below 10 again (i.e., because one or more infractions has expired). Infraction totals and reversals of bans are automatically checked once per day to identify members who are eligible for reversal of a temporary ban.

The default for temporary bans has been increased to 10 days. Moderators at their discretion may reduce the number of days.

If you feel your temporary ban has not been properly reversed, you may send a message via the Contact form. Those messages come to me. Your status will be reviewed and any ban manually reversed if the appeal is upheld.

More serious offenses may result in an immediate temporary 10-day ban. Very serious or repeated offenses may result in a permanent ban.

Repeated temporary bans and/or several repeated infractions of the same type may result in a permanent ban.

A very blatant intentional serious rule violation may result in an immediate permanent ban. This does not happen very often but it is available to protect the integrity of this website and its members.

You can check the status of any infractions you have received in your profile, under the Infractions tab.

Updated: October 20, 2018

Roisin3

Banned
Yellow cards and red cards.

Are you Mick Fealty?

Politics.ie officially becomes sluggerotoole.com.

Target

Administrator
Yellow cards and red cards.

Are you Mick Fealty?

Politics.ie officially becomes sluggerotoole.com.
Those are not my terms. They are descriptive terms that others on this forum have used to refer to warnings and infractions.

Anything else you'd like to complain about today, @Roisin? It might be easier for you to list them all in one post to save time, rather than spreading them across multiple posts in multiple threads.

FYI, I was asked by at least one other member to post a description of the Infractions System. I agreed and this is that description.

If you would personally prefer ignorance to information, I don't believe anyone has been forced to read this thread.

Socratus O' Pericles

Did the king get himself banned? Is that what the line through his name means?

twokidsmanybruises

If you feel your temporary ban has not been properly reversed, you may file a report in the Appeals forum and your status will be reviewed and any ban manually reversed if the appeal is upheld.
I don't mean to nitpick, but I don't fully understand the section above. I feel I must be missing something.

If you are banned, and the ban has not been reversed, how can you file a report in the Appeals forum?

Does banning now mean your account is banned from the whole site except the Appeals forum, which can still be accessed during the ban?

If not, how can a user contest the ban?

If this means you can make an appeal after the ban is lifted, there seems little reason to do so, as what difference would it make now the the site can be accessed?

Target

Administrator
Excellent point. Obviously I wrote that in a hurry.

A ban is site wide.

However, you can always appeal via the contact form. Those messages come to me.

I have amended that sentence in the OP.

bang bang

Posts or member behaviors which violate the rules and guidelines of this website may receive an official warning (sometimes called a "yellow card") or an official infraction (sometimes called a "red card").

If you receive either a warning or an infraction, an automatic Private Message (PM) is generated indicating the specific infraction.

Official Warnings do not add any infraction points to your total.

Official Infractions add a varying number of points, currently ranging 1 to 5 for a single infraction depending on the severity of the infraction.

Infraction points automatically expire after a period of time, normally 10 days, unless they are extended for additional violations of the same rule.

If a member earns a total of 10 infraction points or more, that results in an automatic temporary ban which remains in place until the number of accumulated infraction points drops below 10 again (i.e., because one or more infractions has expired). Infraction totals and reversals of bans are automatically checked once per day to identify members who are eligible for reversal of a temporary ban.

If you feel your temporary ban has not been properly reversed, you may send a message via the Contact form. Those messages come to me. Your status will be reviewed and any ban manually reversed if the appeal is upheld.

Very serious offenses may result in an immediate temporary 3-day ban.

Repeated temporary bans and/or several repeated infractions of the same type may result in a permanent ban.

A very blatant intentional serious rule violation may result in an immediate permanent ban. This does not happen very often but it is available to protect the integrity of this website and its members.

You can check the status of any infractions you have received in your profile, under the Infractions tab.
I received a truck load of infractions, mainly from the "hello mary Lou" thread.
A lot of my posts were deleted, my problem is that a lot of similar type posts from other members have been allowed to stand, I hope this doesn't indicate bias against posters with certain views. I've no problem accepting infractions providing we're all treated equally.

Target

Administrator
When I investigate a complaint, I usually (when I have time) check other posts in the same thread around the same time but there's no way for moderators to keep up with all of the threads on this site.

If you see a post which you think violates rules, report it. That's the best way to bring it to the attention of the moderating team.

There is no penalty for reporting a post, even if we decide that no action is necessary. (As long as you don't go on a rampage reporting everything in sight just to be annoying.)

GDPR

Yes, that's what it means.
Did he get lots of infractions or did you ban him because you could? He claims elsewhere.

If you banned him because you could did you not follow your own rules?

I worry because it would seem you make up these rules to suit youself.

twokidsmanybruises

Did he get lots of infractions or did you ban him because you could? He claims elsewhere.

If you banned him because you could did you not follow your own rules?

I worry because it would seem you make up these rules to suit youself.
TheKing has said an awful lot of stuff on this site. A lot of it was complete fiction. Why would it be different elsewhere?

Claiming he was buying the site? Posting photoshopped screenshots of supposed PMs?

hollandia

TheKing has said an awful lot of stuff on this site. A lot of it was complete fiction. Why would it be different elsewhere?

Claiming he was buying the site? Posting photoshopped screenshots of supposed PMs?
In fairness, not nearly as bad as he was posting *over yonder*. That would certainly fall under the mod abuse category.

Mitsui2

In fairness, not nearly as bad as he was posting *over yonder*. That would certainly fall under the mod abuse category.
I thought the various contributions to his "yonder" thread (including from some of our own paragons of virtue) constituted one of the most downright hilarious threads I'd read in ages - except that, if it had been a p.ie thread, far more of the humour would actually have been intentional

hollandia

I thought the various contributions to his "yonder" thread (including from some of our own paragons of virtue) constituted one of the most downright hilarious threads I'd read in ages - except that, if it had been a p.ie thread, far more of the humour would actually have been intentional
Well, two things - one person at least is impersonating a p.ie poster (this may be deliberate to taint that poster - I understand rainmaker was similarly impersonated back in the past), and secondly - that thread is essentially a list of our very own malcontents. Well, most of our malcontents anyway.

Casablanca

The seriousness that some of our most ‘principled’ poster exhibit on the thread across the bog is intriguing. Not an ounce of self awareness awareness between them.

Mitsui2

The seriousness that some of our most ‘principled’ poster exhibit on the thread across the bog is intriguing. Not an ounce of self awareness awareness between them.
I know - gas, isn't it?

Mitsui2

Well, two things - one person at least is impersonating a p.ie poster (this may be deliberate to taint that poster - I understand rainmaker was similarly impersonated back in the past), and secondly - that thread is essentially a list of our very own malcontents. Well, most of our malcontents anyway.
I see several supposed (at least) p.ie posters' usernames on that thread - even one or two who aren't daft!

twokidsmanybruises

I see several supposed (at least) p.ie posters' usernames on that thread - even one or two who aren't daft!
Sad to say, a good reason to have an account there is so no one else can set up an account with your username.