• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Iniquitous Landlord

bactrian

There are two stories in the Irish Times today concerning Landlords

The first on page one

Landlord paid €620,000 in rent subsidies - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 28, 2012

has a link to the second on page two thereby tying them together

Landlords oppose ban on bedsits planned for early 2013 - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that I believe the time is long past due for the complete elimination of Bedsits and that I have no sympathy with the protests of landlords of these properties.

But
let's go back to the first story
The Headline reads " Landlord paid €620,000 in rent subsidies"

This is really sloppy journalism and is factually incorrect. It panders to the mindset that all Landlords are leeches ,sucking blood from the National Economy.

The first sentence of this article reads
" One landlord received €620,000 from the State in the form of rent supplement payments last year."
That this statement is factually incorrect is borne out the the succeeding sentence

" The rental subsidy is typically paid to people on low incomes or on social welfare who cannot afford to pay the full cost of their rent, and is passed on to the property owner."

Even this sentence is not entirely accurate. Notice the use of the qualifier "typically". A more accurate statement would be " rental subsidy is paid to people on low incomes........ " With the addition of the word "typically" there is just that shade of implication that maybe the money is paid directly to the landlord.

At the end of the third paragraph the article states:-

" The average payment during 2011 was €5,220. "

and then the penultimate two paragraphs

" To ensure value for money for the taxpayer, she added, the department had set maximum rent limits.

Despite these limits, housing groups report that many tenants are being asked to pay “top-up” payments to landlords for rent that is above the maximum allowance limit. "

€5,220 over a period of 12 months works out at €435 per month.

"the department had set maximum rent limits" this would suggest that the department has set €435 per month as the average rent of an apartment.

I have been unable to find many apartments on offer to rent at €435 per month.The few that I have found are all studio apartments and would not be suitable for couples or families.

What is clear ,if you read the facts and ignore the tone, is that the Department has set the maximum allowance limit far too low and that landlords must aks for “top-up” payments in order that they can supply acceptable standard accommodation to tenants.

crossman

" To ensure value for money for the taxpayer, she added, the department had set maximum rent limits.

Despite these limits, housing groups report that many tenants are being asked to pay “top-up” payments to landlords for rent that is above the maximum allowance limit. "

"the department had set maximum rent limits" this would suggest that the department has set €435 per month as the average rent of an apartment.
Some clarification is needed here. The fact an average was 5,220 does not mean this is the max set by the Dept. In fact, in Dublin, for certain types of hose, it is in the region of 850 per month. Secondly, the Dept. expect all tenants to make a contribution themselves.

corporal punishment

I think this was argued here some time back. Somebody made the point that Slumlords provide a usefull service to people who want to live in cold, damp, cramped conditions that make a pothole by the M50 seem luxurious.

I lived in a bedsit for a while in the early 90's. You could only open the door by about 2 feet before it hit the end of the bed. To enter you had to climb over the bed. We kept a hammer by the door due to the attempted intrusions by the wino's who lived next door. It was heaven.

Tawdy

I think this was argued here some time back. Somebody made the point that Slumlords provide a usefull service to people who want to live in cold, damp, cramped conditions that make a pothole by the M50 seem luxurious.

I lived in a bedsit for a while in the early 90's. You could only open the door by about 2 feet before it hit the end of the bed. To enter you had to climb over the bed. We kept a hammer by the door due to the attempted intrusions by the wino's who lived next door. It was heaven.

Would not a corkscrew have been a more useful implement? :cool:

PlanetBertie

You should have put up a curtain down the middle of the room, and sub-let.

PlanetBertie

You should have put up some rickety shelving and opened an off-licence.

b.a. baracus

I don't get your point? The landlord received 620k from the State in rent allowance payments. Ok they may have come via the tenant but they ended up in his trouser pocket nonetheless.

hmmm

What's wrong with one landlord having lots of rental properties? One of the biggest problems renters face in this country is the number of clueless amateur landlords, renting out a single place and not having a clue as to what their obligations or, or how tenants should be treated. Personally I'd much rather a small number of professional landlords than dealing with some reluctant negative equity type who wants to come around daily to check up on the place.

PlanetBertie

Reluctant negative equity type who wants to come around daily to check up on the place, are terrified home will be turned into cannabis factory, or worse a Fianna Fail cumann.

bactrian

I don't get your point? The landlord received 620k from the State in rent allowance payments. Ok they may have come via the tenant but they ended up in his trouser pocket nonetheless.
With that same logic you could say that the weekly dole is paid to the shopkeeper as " ended up in his trouser pocket nonetheless "

dunno

The first on page one

Landlord paid €620,000 in rent subsidies - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 28, 2012

has a link to the second on page two thereby tying them together

Landlords oppose ban on bedsits planned for early 2013 - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that I believe the time is long past due for the complete elimination of Bedsits and that I have no sympathy with the protests of landlords of these properties.

But
let's go back to the first story
The Headline reads " Landlord paid €620,000 in rent subsidies"

This is really sloppy journalism and is factually incorrect. It panders to the mindset that all Landlords are leeches ,sucking blood from the National Economy.

The first sentence of this article reads
" One landlord received €620,000 from the State in the form of rent supplement payments last year."
That this statement is factually incorrect is borne out the the succeeding sentence

" The rental subsidy is typically paid to people on low incomes or on social welfare who cannot afford to pay the full cost of their rent, and is passed on to the property owner."

Even this sentence is not entirely accurate. Notice the use of the qualifier "typically". A more accurate statement would be " rental subsidy is paid to people on low incomes........ " With the addition of the word "typically" there is just that shade of implication that maybe the money is paid directly to the landlord.

At the end of the third paragraph the article states:-

I have been unable to find many apartments on offer to rent at €435 per month.The few that I have found are all studio apartments and would not be suitable for couples or families.

What is clear ,if you read the facts and ignore the tone, is that the Department has set the maximum allowance limit far too low and that landlords must aks for “top-up” payments in order that they can supply acceptable standard accommodation to tenants.
An inaccurate story?

Another typical Irish Times day.

tipp revolution

All landlords are capitalist running dogs.
Wouldnt be a landlord for all the tea in china

What would the student/new in town/person without the price of a deposit do without them?

asset test

Whatever your views on landlords, and on the Property Tax, one things for sure... The powers given to Revenue re the PT will flush out all those property owners who have let out property for years without registering with PRTB, or paying taxes.

That is one positive about the PT, imv.

There might be a lot of property on th market soon so.