The Intellectual Dark Web, who are they?

benroe

The term Intellectual dark web was coined by mathematician Eric Weinstein in January of this year at the masonic theater during a discussion with Sam Harris and Ben Sharpiro, Sam Harris then titled his podcast of this discussion "The intellectual Dark Web" , the term was later magnified and an attempt made at listing its members in a New York Times article by Barry Weiss entitled "Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web". So who are they, well they are a strange bi-partisan bunch, some religious and some atheist, some left and some right, and at first glance you would be forgiven for thinking they had nothing in common, here is how Barry Weiss characterises their commonalities,

But they all share three distinct qualities. First, they are willing to disagree ferociously, but talk civilly, about nearly every meaningful subject: religion, abortion, immigration, the nature of consciousness. Second, in an age in which popular feelings about the way things ought to be often override facts about the way things actually are, each is determined to resist parroting what’s politically convenient. And third, some have paid for this commitment by being purged from institutions that have become increasingly hostile to unorthodox thought — and have found receptive audiences elsewhere.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/112-intellectual-dark-web/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/opinion/intellectual-dark-web.html

And here are their principles laid out in the intellectualdark.website,

A willingness to engage in conversations with people who have different beliefs and political viewpoints
Rejection of identity politics (and a recognition that it has become the dominant ideology in mainstream media discourse)
Ideas worth listening to
Honoring of freedom of speech
People who don’t want them to speak their truth and try to silence them
And here are the names of those listed in the NYT article in no particular order;

Bret and Eric Weinstein
Ben Shapiro
Joe Rogan
Jordan Petersen
Dave Rubin
Christina Hoff Sommers
Gad Saad
Sam Harris
Michael Shermer
Heather Heying.

I first heard of the IDW from the NYT article and was surprised because I am subscribed to all these peoples Youtube channels (Apart from Christina Sommers), I often wondered what those I subscribe to had in common, now it seems they have a title.

There is no doubt that you cannot agree with them all on every subject and its hard to see how this could become a political movement but maybe they could be the forerunners of a movement of people willing to talk to each other, an antidote to the toxic tribalism of partisan politics or maybe they are just a group of angry rich white academics cashing in on their provocative public stances.

The Field Marshal

Bo.

talkingshop

The term Intellectual dark web was coined by mathematician Eric Weinstein in January of this year at the masonic theater during a discussion with Sam Harris and Ben Sharpiro, Sam Harris then titled his podcast of this discussion "The intellectual Dark Web" , the term was later magnified and an attempt made at listing its members in a New York Times article by Barry Weiss entitled "Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web". So who are they, well they are a strange bi-partisan bunch, some religious and some atheist, some left and some right, and at first glance you would be forgiven for thinking they had nothing in common, here is how Barry Weiss characterises their commonalities,

https://samharris.org/podcasts/112-intellectual-dark-web/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/opinion/intellectual-dark-web.html

And here are their principles laid out in the intellectualdark.website,

And here are the names of those listed in the NYT article in no particular order;

Bret and Eric Weinstein
Ben Shapiro
Joe Rogan
Jordan Petersen
Dave Rubin
Christina Hoff Sommers
Gad Saad
Sam Harris
Michael Shermer
Heather Heying.

I first heard of the IDW from the NYT article and was surprised because I am subscribed to all these peoples Youtube channels (Apart from Christina Sommers), I often wondered what those I subscribe to had in common, now it seems they have a title.

There is no doubt that you cannot agree with them all on every subject and its hard to see how this could become a political movement but maybe they could be the forerunners of a movement of people willing to talk to each other, an antidote to the toxic tribalism of partisan politics or maybe they are just a group of angry rich white academics cashing in on their provocative public stances.
I'm sure Mercurial will be along shortly to tell you they are all stupid, charlatans...and probably Nazis also. :roll:

GDPR

Anyone interested in the nature of consciousness is not likely to waste their time blathering about abortion, immigration, and religion.

A Voice

Intellectual Dark Web is a pretty naff moniker. Sounds like something a bunch of kids dreamt up in between listening to thrash metal and playing dungeons and dragons.

I do agree with a lot of what the thinkers have to say, though. The Ctrl Left is a much bigger threat to societies than the Alt Right.

benroe

Intellectual Dark Web is a pretty naff moniker. Sounds like something a bunch of kids dreamt up in between listening to thrash metal and playing dungeons and dragons.

I do agree with a lot of what the thinkers have to say, though. The Ctrl Left is a much bigger threat to societies than the Alt Right.
[video=youtube;cr0OX6ai4Qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0OX6ai4Qw&t=52s[/video]

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Anyone interested in the nature of consciousness is not likely to waste their time blathering about abortion, immigration, and religion.
there's still a lot of grumpy stuff going round about intelligence.

By the way, I heard on the BBC World Service that we're all getting less intelligent. I must get a listen at that in more detail, seeing as there are still plenty of people about swearing a hole in a bucket that intelligence is mostly inherited.

benroe

I agree.

Yet freedom of speech is a hugely important asset to humanity, and remains under threat from a variety of sources.
Debating contentious issues without resorting to hurling slurs is also important and could well explain the popularity of these intellectuals and highlight the hunger for actual reasoned debate.

benroe

I'm sure Mercurial will be along shortly to tell you they are all stupid, charlatans...and probably Nazis also. :roll:
Well one of the things they all have in common is a distaste for the identity politics that merc peddles, and the last thing extreme ideologues like merc want to see is a strong middle ground.

between the bridges

Bunch of fecking snowflakes they barred moi for being too intellicktual...

benroe

there's still a lot of grumpy stuff going round about intelligence.

By the way, I heard on the BBC World Service that we're all getting less intelligent. I must get a listen at that in more detail, seeing as there are still plenty of people about swearing a hole in a bucket that intelligence is mostly inherited.
Is the "Flynn Effect" invalid, has our intelligence plateaued?, have you a link?

truthisfree

Prester Jim

Black Swan

A motley crew of disgruntled pseudo-intellectual trolls on the fringes of academia, who feel entitled to a platform through which to exercise their right to free speech; despite being rejected by mainstream academics as cranks and quacks. :roll:

GDPR

I love the whole thing about being against "identity politics" when that only applies to Blacks, Hispanics and people of Christian European descent but not Jews (Isnt Ben Shapiro Chabad and an admirer of Rabbi Meir Kahane?) in their eyes.

Mercurial

A bunch of alt-lite neckbeards styling themselves as intellectuals despite the fact that they haven't an original thought between them.

Mercurial

Well one of the things they all have in common is a distaste for the identity politics that merc peddles, and the last thing extreme ideologues like merc want to see is a strong middle ground.
If you think that any of these charlatans represents a middle ground, your overton window needs cleaning.

GDPR

If you think that any of these charlatans represents a middle ground, your overton window needs cleaning.
Nearly all of them are pretty extreme when it comes to Islam. Also it is interesting how they will fire away at Feminism but never seem to attack the whole "Men's Rights" things.

Mercurial

Nearly all of them are pretty extreme when it comes to Islam. Also it is interesting how they will fire away at Feminism but never seem to attack the whole "Men's Rights" things.
It turns out that the crusaders against identity politics are consistent in defending the interests of cis straight white men.

New Threads

Most Replies