• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The IRA kidnap of Thomas Niedermayer

goosebump

RTE Radio 1 featured a a documentary tonight about the IRA adduction of Thomas Niedermayer in Belfast in 1973. Its an extraordinary tragic tale, even by Northern Ireland standards.

Neidermayer was sent from Germany to Belfast, with his wife and 2 daughters, as the Managing Director of the local Grundig factory.

The IRA targeted him for kidnap/ransom, and abducted him from this home. He was found several years later in shallow grave in a refuse dump. The suggestion at the time was that he had had a heart attack during the abduction and was dumped by his kidnappers.

His family never recovered from the trauma. They originally went back to Germany, but his wife came back to Ireland and committed suicided by simply walking into the sea in Bray. Both his daughters also committed suicide in later life.

The documentary can be downloaded as a podcast from here:

RT.ie Radio 1: Documentary on One - A Knock on the Door

Last edited:

EUrJokingMeRight

Tragic story......an evil business. Out of curiousity....Did Bertie tell them to commit suicide?

Orbit v2

It was an extraordinary and terribly tragic story all right. The recording of his wife's appeal to find out what happened to him was particularly poignant, I thought.

JD mispronouncing the family name, was kind of annoying though.

EUrJokingMeRight

Of course...but some people dont take suicide seriously in this country.
I think you should have included the former taoiseachs seemingly dismissive attitude to suicide in your OP. Bertie would surely have known about the misfortune of this family and others like it. Therefore I was surprised by what he said and surprised you did not mention it in an op containing 3 suicides.
It is a tragic story of a family destroyed by our own inability to live in peace, no doubt about it.

goosebump

Of course...but some people dont take suicide seriously in this country.
I think you should have included the former taoiseachs seemingly dismissive attitude to suicide in your OP. Bertie would surely have known about the misfortune of this family and others like it. Therefore I was surprised by what he said and surprised you did not mention it in an op containing 3 suicides.
It is a tragic story of a family destroyed by our own inability to live in peace, no doubt about it.
You're still a ************************************g moron.

L'Chaim

I heard that documentary and it was so sad. A man kidnapped and his body only found years later, his wife couldn't deal with it and she went on to kill herself and then their two daughters kill themselves. Absolutely shocking chain of events

neiphin

EUrJokingMeRight

I have my moments, Sorry for offending you..but I'm no stranger to suicide, who is in Ireland? This event did not happen when I was about but the Bertie one did.
So was it actually determined if he died of a heart attack or was he murdered? Your OP is not too clear. Was his death an accident or not?
A family destroyed by callous actions. Unforgivable. More horror stories here... Equally grotesque.

rainmaker

Administrator
So was it actually determined if he died of a heart attack or was he murdered? Your OP is not too clear. Was his death an accident or not?
They beat him to death and buried him face down in a rubbish dump. They never even had the decency to inform his wife and children of his whereabouts so they could give him a decent burial - he meant nothing to them.

I'm sure the usual SF/PIRA fan club are waiting for sufficient numbers before descending on the thread with infantile whataboutery, accusations of hypocrisy, & finally sneering that this mans murder meant nothing in the scheme of things & demanding everyone moves on.

The question of how their brave volunteers killing of this man in such a sadistic manner furthered their cause will of course remain unanswered...

Last edited:

EUrJokingMeRight

I doubt that it did in fairness.

Eoin Coir

RTE Radio 1 featured a a documentary tonight about the IRA adduction of Thomas Niedermayer in Belfast in 1973. Its an extraordinary tragic tale, even by Northern Ireland standards.

Neidermayer was sent from Germany to Belfast, with his wife and 2 daughters, as the Managing Director of the local Grundig factory.

The IRA targeted him for kidnap/ransom, and abducted him from this home. He was found several years later in shallow grave in a refuse dump. The suggestion at the time was that he had had a heart attack during the abduction and was dumped by his kidnappers.

His family never recovered from the trauma. They originally went back to Germany, but his wife came back to Ireland and committed suicided by simply walking into the sea in Bray. Both his daughters also committed suicide in later life.

The documentary can be downloaded as a podcast from here:

RT.ie Radio 1: Documentary on One - A Knock on the Door

Mods. I have one in NI section on this, please retrieve it and put in history section,and merge.

Eoin Coir

They beat him to death and buried him face down in a rubbish dump. They never even had the decency to inform his wife and children of his whereabouts so they could give him a decent burial - he meant nothing to them.

I'm sure the usual SF/PIRA fan club are waiting for sufficient numbers before descending on the thread with infantile whataboutery, accusations of hypocrisy, & finally sneering that this mans murder meant nothing in the scheme of things & demanding that everyone moves on.

Though quite how their brave volunteers killing this man in such a sadistic manner furthered their cause is anyones guess...
and the what abouts, Iraq, Afghanistan, will begin.

Slievenaglogh

I remember the kidnapping but don't remember the reporting of his wife's suicide. Seems it clashed with Italia 90. Not only the two daughters but the son-in-law also died by suicide. Initially, I thought Joe Duffy must be using the correct German pronunciation of the name but, judging by the contemporary news reports and the grandchildren's pronunciation, he was just wrong and threw in the extra syllable! Does RTE Radio not have editors for this kind of thing?

Narcissist

I'm sure the usual SF/PIRA fan club are waiting for sufficient numbers before descending on the thread with infantile whataboutery, accusations of hypocrisy, & finally sneering that this mans murder meant nothing in the scheme of things & demanding everyone moves on.

The question of how their brave volunteers killing of this man in such a sadistic manner furthered their cause will of course remain unanswered...
I've seen you post twice on here and both times you were bordering on hysterical.

Calm down chara, t'is not good for you to get so worked up..

Dub01

Two threads on the same incident from over a quarter of a century ago.

What am i missing here?