'The Irish' - a case of mistaken identity

Speedfreak

All these newspaper reports keep on using the term 'the Irish', when what they are talking about is 'the Fianna Fail party'.

They report that, "the Irish think this... the Irish want that... the Irish said that so and so was their perspective on the issue..."

Hello? Fianna Fail are not the Irish (although in their lalaland they may believe they are).

No - Fianna Fail are the problem. They do not speak for 'the Irish' or anything near it.

Europeans - watch out: you are not dealing with 'the Irish', you are dealing with a corrupt political party called Fianna Fail who have bankrupted this country for their cronies. And any commitments they give you have nothing to do with us.

If you don't get that now, it may come back and bite you.

Anglo Celt

"We" (as in the royal 'we') gave FF a mandate for government. "We" put them in power time and time again to represent us. So all in all, they are the Irish people...

Mondo

The call is out for Patriotic Judges.

Let's hope their are a few Irishmen sitting in the Supreme Court.

And that they rule as a matter of urgency on the by-election appeal.

In order that democracy be restored.

All these newspaper reports keep on using the term 'the Irish', when what they are talking about is 'the Fianna Fail party'.

They report that, "the Irish think this... the Irish want that... the Irish said that so and so was their perspective on the issue..."

Hello? Fianna Fail are not the Irish (although in their lalaland they may believe they are).

No - Fianna Fail are the problem. They do not speak for 'the Irish' or anything near it.

Europeans - watch out: you are not dealing with 'the Irish', you are dealing with a corrupt political party called Fianna Fail who have bankrupted this country for their cronies. And any commitments they give you have nothing to do with us.

A view from England

"We" (as in the royal 'we') gave FF a mandate for government. "We" put them in power time and time again to represent us. So all in all, they are the Irish people...
And FF did not force anyone to buy a house or three and shove a couple of beemers on the drive!

The Caped Cod

"We" are also to blame for completely failing to overthrow them and send them all down for life for committing treason.

Speedfreak

For myself, I never voted for a Fianna Fail politician, or for that matter for any bloody politician in my life. I could see well what the state of play was since I was mature enough to think critically. A sizable proportion of citizens in this country would be the same as myself.

But as regards the lemmings who did pay attention to the election posters and flyers and sham promises and shuffled off to the voting booth charade as they were expected to, I would just say - in return for your votes, the elected representative made a contract with you to represent your interests.

Do you not think they broke that contract? Come on...

BodyPolathick

And FF did not force anyone to buy a house or three and shove a couple of beemers on the drive!
Jesus, you do know that not every Irish citizen bought three houses and had beamers in the drive, don’t want to halt your generalisation about all the Irish.

I heard the same thing on Joe Duffy a couple of days ago when ex pats were rightly criticising the problems and the causes, but blaming all Irish people for having a party – sorry lads I had no party the only debts I have is my mortgage which even my today’s prices is not that sizeable and I can afford to pay it, despite being in and out of work like a yo –yo. It is starting to grate when I hear national and international commentary blaming the Irish when everybody knows it was selected elite who hovered up the money and left without paying.

Also FF did not receive a majority in the last two election their “partners” deserve some of the criticism.

Watcher2

There is definitely a problem with the Irish psyche. With all the talk of the austerity measures and people saying they will not be able to afford this measure and that measure while at the same time splashing out the cash on consumables. It amazes me.

I personally know of two instances of this delusion recently. One where a friend told me in the past few days that there is no way he will be able to afford the 80 per month proposed property tax. However, 2 weeks prior he told me he was going to buy a 50 inch flat screen tv, as well as a 22 inch tv and a 26 inch tv.

Another one which I heard yesterday was a friend complaining about spending a few quid on a joint birthday present while the week before she bought a new coat for €180 and all the while complaining about the cost of everything and threats of job losses.

These stories are from the last couple of weeks and I'm sure are replicated right across the country. Plus, those 2 individuals are not on massive money. One is earning less than the average wage and the other is a little over the average wage.

So what the hell is going on in this country? We are a gang of bufoons who simply refuse to see with clarity. There is also a huge amount of selfishness and self centred people in this country and they are not all greedy bankers etc.

Green eyed monster

FF = elected by the Irish (Repeat Offenders)

Nice try but ye are responsible
Naw i can't say i agree with that. We are given a restricted menu, what we choose isn't necessarily what we desire as our choice is also influenced by the other things on the menu, increasingly in politics people are voting based upon what they don't want.

I heard the same thing on Joe Duffy a couple of days ago when ex pats were rightly criticising the problems and the causes, but blaming all Irish people for having a party – sorry lads I had no party the only debts I have is my mortgage which even my today’s prices is not that sizeable and I can afford to pay it, despite being in and out of work like a yo –yo. It is starting to grate when I hear national and international commentary blaming the Irish when everybody knows it was selected elite who hovered up the money and left without paying
Couldn't agree more, there were more jobs during the boom - that's about it (unless you were a property speculator or similiar who benefitted). It's not like there was free money... And people often had little choice about taking out the hideously over-priced mortgages, they were encouraged by their Govt and the Media to do so, now they are trapped in neg equity hell while the developers are partying in the Costa. Some party the ordinary people had....

G

Gimpanzee

If all those who claim to have no responsibility for putting the goons in every county council and the Dáil were prepared to elect people capable and willing to a politicians job, and not just seeing that they get themselves re-elected, we'ed be ok.

But they won't. Because they vote for people who don't make them feel as stupid as they are.

Clareboy

In recent decades, Ireland has become a very conservative, middle class society and Fianna Fail represents this society. We have only ourselves to blame for everything that Biffo and FF have thrown at us - but just wait until December 7th - you ain't seen nothin' yet!

flexbrowne

Yeah...1 in 5 people in the country voted for them..but yeah.."we" put them in.....I never voted for them but as a democrat i appreciate that my country kin are somewhat retarded so we're stuck with the ************************ers!!

eoinod

Yeah...1 in 5 people in the country voted for them..but yeah.."we" put them in.....I never voted for them but as a democrat i appreciate that my country kin are somewhat retarded so we're stuck with the ************************ers!!
Actually just over 2 in 5 voted for them and in you include the Greens and PD's into that (and the indepednants who formed the government) you get well over the majority.

Only group there who can justifiably be claimed to have hoodwinked the people are the Greens, who ditched their principles at the first possible go.

FF were elected on an economic platform of lower taxes and increased government spending. Basically, FREE MONEY FOR EVERYONE IF YOU VOTE FOR US!!! That is what they did and what is happening now is the result that should have been obvious to everyone from the get go.

They were also elected on a platform of "Bertie's Team" when the selfsame Bertie was evidently "leniant with the truth" (We all know that this site likes us to be careful with exactly with what we say...) in front of the Mahon Tribunal.

The electorate have only themselves to blame.

tds

Completely agree with this post. Its not our debt - its being incurred by an un-mandated kleptocratic tyranny on our behalf. Foreign institutions and governments take note as you consider dealing with a regime that has denied Irish people's right to accountability of any of the responsible parties.

Electric Sheep

Some party the ordinary people had....
Could have fooled me. We had several years of floods of shoppers from Ireland here in Boston. Because nothing says class like flying 3000 miles to buy crap in the Gap and Filene's Basement.

Nothing they couldn't get at home, just wanted to blabber about how they'd just come back from a shopping weekend in the USA, just to keep up with the Jones.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies