• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service votes to end the lifetime ban on gay men, moves to 12 month deferral!

USER1234

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service votes to end the lifetime ban on gay men, moves to 12 month deferral!

Move to change gay blood ban to 12-month deferral period welcomed

THE NEWS THAT the board of the Irish Blood Transfusion Service (IBTS) has voted to lift the lifetime ban on gay men donating blood has today been welcomed.

After meeting yesterday, the Irish Blood Transfusion Service is believed to have made a recommendation to Minister for Health Simon Harris that the lifetime ban on donating blood for men who’ve had sex with men (MSM) should be lifted.

It is understood that this will be changed so that a gay or bisexual man can give blood if he has not sex with another man in the 12 months before donating.

A ban on MSM blood donations has been in place in Ireland since the 1980s, when it was introduced to combat the AIDs epidemic.

It is expected that the Department for Health will act on the recommendation of the IBTS and implement it before the end of the year.
Full Story: Thejournal.ie - Move to change gay blood ban to 12-month deferral period welcomed

My Comments:

1) This is good news & about time too!

2) This happened 2 or 3 days ago but got lost due to all the brexit madness!!!

USER1234

Except for the people who liked My post nobody seems interested in this news!!

wombat

Its a decision based on science, nothing political, the perceived risk is less than the benefit. As someone who has had to stop donating on medical advice, I hope all those who can donate, will donate.

viper999

And remind us the prevalence of hiv in gay men compared to homosexual men, haha its understood if a gay man hasn't had sex for a year before donating. Sorry but the gay scene is far more pomisciuous than the hetro lifestyle, thats a fact.

viper999

I have no problem with receiving blood from a gay man as along as my family is given the choice and told of the risks, there is a genuine higher risk of infection of Hiv which cannot be argued against. This form of political correctness is dangerous.

Felixness

And remind us the prevalence of hiv in gay men compared to homosexual men, haha its understood if a gay man hasn't had sex for a year before donating. Sorry but the gay scene is far more pomisciuous than the hetro lifestyle, thats a fact.
The heterosexuals aren't far behind then. I've no idea what the statistics are for either group, that being said STD's have increased dramatically over the last few years. I grew up with the fear of AIDS, back in the days when John Hurt did the voice over for the ad with the monolith, nowadays there seems to be a devil may care attitude to it.

viper999

The heterosexuals aren't far behind then. I've no idea what the statistics are for either group, that being said STD's have increased dramatically over the last few years. I grew up with the fear of AIDS, back in the days when John Hurt did the voice over for the ad with the monolith, nowadays there seems to be a devil may care attitude to it.
90% of new cases of Hiv/Aids in Ireland are from gay/bisexual men, other STDs i won't worry about thats worth the risk of transfusion

Polybius

Where can anyone find a gay man who has been celibate for 12 months? :lol:

In practical terms this means very little. It won't lead to any new donors. The whole purpose of this action is to further the gay agenda.

Felixness

90% of new cases of Hiv/Aids in Ireland are from gay/bisexual men, other STDs i won't worry about thats worth risk of transfusion
How many straight people get checked for HIV/AIDS? I'd imagine the numbers could be higher than we know. Either way, if a persons blood is safe for donation then I don't have an issue with it. Strictly speaking, the only way that the Blood Service would know what a donor's sexual orientation is or how sexually active that person is is if that individual told them.

asset test

Blood Transfusion Service asks...

Are you Gay?

Are you Straight?

Have you Aids/HIV?

NO.

Ok, here's the nurse with the needle.

Calculusmadeeasy

Are you Gay?

Are you Straight?

Have you Aids/HIV?

NO.

I think it's more rigorous that that in fairness.

asset test

I think it's more rigorous that that in fairness.
I know, but the questions asked rely on the honesty of the person being asked just the same.

I don't think any tests are carried out before the blood/plasma is harvested.

I could be wrong though, maybe it is tested afterwards.

Been a blood donor since I was in my twenties. We got Guinness then!

Haven't donated in a while for various reasons, so I'm not up to date on the requirements now.

Felixness

I know, but the questions asked rely on the honesty of the person being asked just the same.

Haven't donated in a while for various reasons, so I'm not up to date on the requirements now.
My father in law donated lots of blood over the years in England. The Blood service gave him a gold pin and invited him to a special meal, he's very proud of that, and rightly so.

Calculusmadeeasy

Every blood donation is tested for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), syphilis and human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV). However, despite improvements in blood screening tests, a small number of infected donations may be missed because of the ‘window period’ between getting the infection and the test showing a positive result. The medical literature contains many recent examples.

https://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Keeping_Blood_Safe/Safety/

Calculusmadeeasy

[video=youtube;Kw_e_O6MdM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_e_O6MdM4[/video]

2:11 on. Antibodies produced a few weeks after infection.

asset test

Every blood donation is tested for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), syphilis and human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV). However, despite improvements in blood screening tests, a small number of infected donations may be missed because of the ‘window period’ between getting the infection and the test showing a positive result. The medical literature contains many recent examples.

https://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Keeping_Blood_Safe/Safety/
Risky still it seems in a small number of cases.

At the same time, we need stats on those who have received transfusions who contracted such diseases.

The Hep C/anti D scandal was awful, and I hope the BTB is above all that now. Still.....

Calculusmadeeasy

Point taken.

Ellen Ripley

Are you Gay?

Are you Straight?

Have you Aids/HIV?

NO.

Off topic, but I've often wondered if they're not trainee phlebotomists, rather than nurses?
My understanding was that there's a doctor with each mobile unit, but the rest are not trained nurses.

Maybe someone who's more familiar with BTSB knows the answer...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies