The Irish border - it's bootcamp time for slow-learning Brexiteers.

Wascurito

Some of us may have seen the footage from Channel 4 News last night depicting various British people attempting to draw the Irish border. I don't think it's entirely coincidental that the guy at the end who showed the greatest understanding of the complexities of the issue was the one who made by far the best attempt at drawing it.

During the run-up to the Brexit referendum in June last year, some Irish politicians such as Enda Kenny did point out that the border would cause major complications in the event that the UK voted to leave the EU. They were invariably told to shut up and stop being "offensive".

In my experience, there is a significant number of British (especially English) people who have never cottoned on to the relationships between these islands. Many are not precisely sure of Northern Ireland's position within the UK. Some seem to think that the Republic of Ireland is in the UK. In that light, it's no surprise that the NI/ROI border didn't feature as an issue in the campaign and - without actual evidence - I'd hazard a large bet that those who voted for Brexit were the ones who were by far the more ignorant about it.

Well, sit back, my dear Brexiteers. Over the next few weeks, ye'll learn more about the NI/RoI border than ye learned in your whole lives.

EDIT: Thanks to Deadlock for highlighting this:
The Brexit minister David Davis thinks the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK

Last edited:

PBP voter

It's the EU who want a border.

They are punishing us for Brexit because they are bullies. Just like they were with the banks.

Anything to save their "project". Little Ireland doesnt count.

Deadlock

Some of us may have seen the footage from Channel 4 News last night depicting various British people attempting to draw the Irish border. I don't think it's entirely coincidental that the guy at the end who showed the greatest understanding of the complexities of the issue was the one who made by far the best attempt at drawing it.

During the run-up to the Brexit referendum in June last year, some Irish politicians such as Enda Kenny did point out that the border would cause major complications in the event that the UK voted to leave the EU. They were invariably told to shut up and stop being "offensive".

In my experience, there is a significant number of British (especially English) people who have never cottoned on to the relationships between these islands. Many are not precisely sure of Northern Ireland's position within the UK. Some seem to think that the Republic of Ireland is in the UK. In that light, it's no surprise that the NI/ROI border didn't feature as an issue in the campaign and - without actual evidence - I'd hazard a large bet that those who voted for Brexit were the ones who were by far the more ignorant about it.

Well, sit back, my dear Brexiteers. Over the next few weeks, ye'll learn more about the NI/RoI border than ye learned in your whole lives.
Hardly surprising since David Davis himself pronounced "One of our really challenging issues to deal with will be the internal border we have with southern Ireland, and we are not going to go about creating other internal borders inside the United Kingdom" ...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/07/brexit-minister-david-davis-thinks-republic-ireland-part-uk
[url]http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-17/david-davis-warns-nicola-sturgeon-scotland-cannot-have-a-veto-over-brexit-negotiations/

[/URL]

silverharp

Britain has a population of 60m , they aint going to swivel on a stick just to pander to some cranks on either side in the North.

Wascurito

Hardly surprising since David Davis himself pronounced "One of our really challenging issues to deal with will be the internal border we have with southern Ireland, and we are not going to go about creating other internal borders inside the United Kingdom" ...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/07/brexit-minister-david-davis-thinks-republic-ireland-part-uk
[url]http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-17/david-davis-warns-nicola-sturgeon-scotland-cannot-have-a-veto-over-brexit-negotiations/

[/URL]
Oh dear.....oh dear, oh dear, oh dear......

"The Brexit minister David Davis thinks the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK"

Betson

The old one in the VT thinks she has it sussed, "The Irish are just causing trouble because they lost and it is very petty from them"

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie

"The Brexit minister David Davis thinks the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK"
Maybe they are planning to invade us and give reunification the country under British rule. Could be a good thing, and it's not like there are any real men anymore to stop them.

Se0samh

They are punishing us for Brexit because they are bullies. Just like they were with the banks.

Your usual mix of BS and outright lies...Brexit is the "means" by which little englanders take back control of "their" own borders...otherwise there is no point... innit...:roll:

Deadlock

With shepherds of that calibre leading the flock ...

[video=youtube;Pk7yqlTMvp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8[/video]

Wascurito

There will be a big large hard border as long as Ireland wants to play the United Nations and invite the world and his dog to live here.
I don't want to sound snarky but can we stick to the OP, please? This isn't another thread about will-we-won't-we-have-a-hard-border? It's specifically about the ignorance of Brexiteers on this particular issue.

Jimmy Two Times

It's the fault of the EU that when the Brits voted for Brexit, they didn't actually really know what they were voting for?:lol:

Jimmy Two Times

Britain has a population of 60m , they aint going to swivel on a stick just to pander to some cranks on either side in the North.
They have to make deals with the EU and they will swivel like fúck by the time their finished making those deals.

Wascurito

The old one in the VT thinks she has it sussed, "The Irish are just causing trouble because they lost and it is very petty from them"
That was surreal. What did she think we lost?

What was a surprise was that even a lot of the younger people were openly confused.

silverharp

They have to make deals with the EU and they will swivel like fúck by the time their finished making those deals.
they will but in the end they might just prefer to go back to border checks. Paddy will have to suck it up

Betson

That was surreal. What did she think we lost?

What was a surprise was that even a lot of the younger people were openly confused.
I am not really surprised , if you talk to a lot of English they would know very little about Ireland , and it is not just Ireland , a lot of English kids would know very little about Scotland or Wales as well.

As the young lads at the start of the video pointed out it is just something they are not taught about at all thus so many not having a clue where the border is in Ireland. One young woman had the country split exactly into two halfs.

troll account

Very few Africans in this country are from Zimbabwe so Mugabe being overthrown isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference.
I know of two living in a van like hobo's on a very rural border road beside me here..........bizzare :shock:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies