The Irish Catholic proposes church closures

statsman

Apparently, Michael Kelly, the editor of The Irish Catholic, was on Pat Kenny today and said that the time has come for the closure of some churches to reflect the reality of falling numbers and a shortage (and age profile) of priests.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/some-churches-should-close-over-manpower-gap-says-irish-catholic-editor-1.3255265#.WeI3xdUmYEQ.twitter

Mr Kelly said the number of priests in Ireland had fallen by 500 in the past ten years.

He also quoted a professor of sociology in Maynooth, Liam Ryan, who had predicted some years ago that the Church would “go the way” of the gardaí and would get to the stage where “you’d have two priests in a squad car covering half the county”.

He said the Church had not responded to the falling number of priests and instead was asking increasingly elderly priests to do more and more.
Clearly, it's going to happen, but this is not the way I expected the discussion to start. Is he flying a kite of the bishops?

Aindriu

Not before time. Around Smithfield there are loads of churches all within walking distance of each other. That is just one example.

The Nal

Easy way to help solve the housing crisis. A lot of these churches are on a acre or more in prime locations. Sell the land, knock them down and build!

Decent gaffs though, not doxboxes. 3 bed semi the shít out of them.

razorblade

Well more and more people are starting to see this whole religious nonsense for what it is this should be seen as a welcome development, the majority dont give a fig about the church anymore or what it has to say.

ruserious

If it is this bad for the Church now, I can't wait to see what it will be like in 25 years.
You've one life kids, don't spend it in a dress professing celibacy.

razorblade

Good to see us moving into a more secular enlighted society it took a bit of time but thankfully we are almost there.

flavirostris

Not before time. Around Smithfield there are loads of churches all within walking distance of each other. That is just one example.
Are they all RCC though?

raetsel

A drop of almost 6% in population share in only 5 years? If it continues at that rate Catholics will drop to less than 50% in around another 20 years, and of course the likelihood is that it will actually be more.
I was at a funeral Mass (which was also a normal Sunday mass) at the cathedral I attended when I was growing up recently and it was the first time I attended Mass there in more than 30 years and was surprised ( I probably shouldn't have been though) that it was only about two thirds full.
The Church is in rapid decline and it is its own fault.

bob3344

Easy way to help solve the housing crisis. A lot of these churches are on a acre or more in prime locations. Sell the land, knock them down and build!

How many 3 bed semis would you fit ? Not many.

Decommissioned churches make great pubs, quite a few in Glasgow.

Aindriu

The Nal

A drop of almost 6% in population share in only 5 years? If it continues at that rate Catholics will drop to less than 50% in around another 20 years, and of course the likelihood is that it will actually be more.
I was at a funeral Mass (which was also a normal Sunday mass) at the cathedral I attended when I was growing up recently and it was the first time I attended Mass there in more than 30 years and was surprised ( I probably shouldn't have been though) that it was only about two thirds full.
The Church is in rapid decline and it is its own fault.
If you went to a normal mass you'd do well to see 2/3rds full.

My local church used to have five Sunday masses at 9, 10, 11, 12 and 5 and now they just have two. And neither of those are close to 2/3rds full.

Basically a huge building on loads of land thats used by about 100 people for 45 minutes a week, funerals aside.

Anglican is Catholic in every thing but name anyway. About the only thing missing is the stations of the cross.
I think going to the stations of the cross mass when I was about 12 is what finally did it for me. Clearly remember about halfway through (the 2 1/2 hours of it) thinking "This is a load of bollocks".

Deadlock

Apparently, Michael Kelly, the editor of The Irish Catholic, was on Pat Kenny today and said that the time has come for the closure of some churches to reflect the reality of falling numbers and a shortage (and age profile) of priests.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/some-churches-should-close-over-manpower-gap-says-irish-catholic-editor-1.3255265#.WeI3xdUmYEQ.twitter

Clearly, it's going to happen, but this is not the way I expected the discussion to start. Is he flying a kite of the bishops?
Either they close Churches, or import nuns and priests from Asia, Africa, or Latin America to minister here.

By-the-by, does anyone know if when the RC or indeed any other churches offload properties, are they liable for the usual bevvy of taxes?

flavirostris

Anglican is Catholic in every thing but name anyway. About the only thing missing is the stations of the cross.
Doubt you'd get them to merge churches in Smithfield though. 'Hey Anglicans.. you're just posher Catholics, so let's demolish that old place and you can join the papists across the street'.

former wesleyan

Good to see us moving into a more secular enlighted society it took a bit of time but thankfully we are almost there.
Secular doesn't necessarily mean enlightened. History would seem to tell us.

statsman

If you went to a normal mass you'd do well to see 2/3rds full.

My local church used to have five Sunday masses at 9, 10, 11, 12 and 5 and now they just have two. And neither of those are close to 2/3rds full.

Basically a huge building on loads of land thats used by about 100 people for 45 minutes a week, funerals aside.

I think going to the stations of the cross mass when I was about 12 is what finally did it for me. Clearly remember about halfway through (the 2 1/2 hours of it) thinking "This is a load of bollocks".
This is from the website of our nearest church:

For those who are not familiar with our parish, Monaleen is located to the east of Limerick city, just off the Dublin Road, in Castletroy. It was originally part of St. Patrick’s Parish on Clare Street, but was set up as an independent parish in 1971. At that time there were about 380 homes in our parish. Now we have approximately 4,400 homes.
It's a small church, built for 380 homes. We've been living here since 1999, when they had maybe 3000 homes. They run a mass on Saturday evening, and two on Sunday, maybe 1200 people, at a guess. Given an average of 3 per home, that's less that 10%.

mr_anderson

3 bed semis will build you 20.
How about 100 x 100m[SUP]2 [/SUP]apartments.
Apartments don't have to be shoeboxes.

Building 3 bed semi's in the city centre is just plain daft.

statsman

Either they close Churches, or import nuns and priests from Asia, Africa, or Latin America to minister here.

By-the-by, does anyone know if when the RC or indeed any other churches offload properties, are they liable for the usual bevvy of taxes?
They are taxed as a charity. That means, if memory serves, exemptions from capital gains and acquisition taxes and stamp duty?

New Threads

Most Replies