The Irish Economy can you imagine: History repeats itself

yosef shompeter

FAC warns economic growth is losing momentum
Fiscal Council warns economic growth is losing momentum

Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me twice. What was that I wanted to say?

So the fiscal Advisory council thinks we are facing a slowdown.
Brexit, Trumpenomics, Rising interest rate on huge national debt. TAx harmonisation or competition with the UK and Europe.
Now our economy goes on the assumption of growth. Will history repeat itself if there is a recession?

O

Oscurito

It's a timely warning given all the up-and-coming expenditure:
- public service pay exploding
- HSE expenditure not under control
- water infrastructure to be funded from an increasingly limited tax pot
- I'm sure there's more....

gleeful

It's a timely warning given all the up-and-coming expenditure:
- public service pay exploding
- HSE expenditure not under control
- water infrastructure to be funded from an increasingly limited tax pot
- I'm sure there's more....
UKIP telling us to pay for Welsh roads.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Have no fear , Wally Kenny of Fianna Gael is in charge

MMOC has already warned us that criticising Wally is "unpatriotic" as it could harm the economy ‘Kenny’s critics are unpatriotic’ - Independent.ie

Fianna Gael's Head of Information Terrorism , Pascal O'D is going to give public sector pay rises , in a desperate bid to eke out Wally's leadership in order to make POD himself viable

cyp

PBP voter

A slowdown mightn't be such a bad thing.

We either seem to have high growth rates or high shrinkage rates.

If we could run at growth of around 2% per year we would be much better off.

Hunter-Gatherer

we are now being crucified by the Euro and a weak Sterling. Just ask any shopkeeper in Dundalk/Bundoran/Cavan.

Leave the Euro, and watch the economy recover.

gerhard dengler

Brexit, Trumpenomics, Rising interest rate on huge national debt. TAx harmonisation or competition with the UK and Europe.
Now our economy goes on the assumption of growth. Will history repeat itself if there is a recession?
With all of the uncertainty around international politics and finance at the moment with Brexit and with various EU referendums, there is bound to be some impact on this country's economic performance.

Concerns about international demand is one issue.
The other issue is domestic demand for goods and services. It seems to me that the real concern here is that domestic demand is not strong for a country said to be recovering.
Some indices show demand like those of property. But other indices such as retail sales are not as strong as they should be for a recovering economy. Besides our domestic market is not big enough to offset any hiccup that there might be in international demand for goods and services.

Debt remains the gorilla in the room.
Legacy debt and procuring new debt is becoming more expensive with bond yields increasing.

im axeled

speaking to a guy who has an interest in the dublin taxi buisness, he claims tha buisness has slowed down

im axeled

to me people have a dread of drawing new debt on themselves, the days of buying it with credit is dying, there is no more, i kile that i am putting it on the card the las week we have had the anual massive online selling week, this has now attracted the bricks and mortor traders into the net, this will hamper the pre christmas buying, if the christmas sales start before christmas the the shops must be taking a hit

General Urko

It was obvious prior to Brexit and Trump that the favourable circumstances of low interest rates, low oil prices and a good exchange rates would come to an end!
A downturn was absolutely inevitable, the only question for Ireland was will it be a recession or a depression!
Look let's get real, we have imbecile fooktards running this country both in our political class and our civil service, it's more akin in this respect to a 4th world country than a Western Economy!

im axeled

but that will talk folk into not spurging out

General Urko

Next you will be telling us that you beleive in 'soft landing' bullshyza!

hammer

Doomsters.com

When things are improving you are worrying about things getting worse.
When things are bad they can always get worse.

Jaysus live life FFS. See a bit of positivity.

Saying that the rate of growth will slow down is to invoke a second derivative. It means continued growth.

Jack O Neill

Doomsters.com

Positivity or stupidity , either way the electorate told tools like you what they thought of your spinning last spring , but like all blueshirts you are a very very slow learner

WTTR

Website
www.johnfhiggins.eu
Let's be positive and go out and find another handful of morons that are prepared to keep this economic charade going.

Doomsters.com

What?

Do you not see the danger to our international reputation if the economy shrinks?

All the international Vulture Funds will make huge losses on their recent property investments.

Unless more of them come in and keep the Ponzi property musical chairs going.

Are we beginning to see the outcome of not paying adequate attention to our indigenous economy?

All the international borrowing, national debt accrual (includes, property tax related public salary increases) up to now, since the turn of the millennium has been property related.

This borrowing has come from the Shadow Banking sphere:

Shoving up the price of houses with our youth strangled with jumbo mortgage repayments;

Massively shoving up the rental sector in the greater Dublin area, where the majority of our youth have been corralled into, due to poor political judgement.

All this resulted in a greater return for international property speculators.

Is shoving up costs,

And is milking our country of everyday working capital.

It is running our home economy.

The Governor of our Central Bank wrote this in an other time:

Moreover, as highlighted by Reis (2013), credit frictions in the financial system can mean that capital inflows are misallocated, with incumbent non -productive firms (but possessing collateral assets) can survive through increasing debt levels and thereby inhibiting the expansion of more productive firms. Since the mass of non-productive firms are more likely to be in the nontraded sector, this financial mechanism also contributes to the expansion of the nontraded sector relative to the traded sector.
I suppose

You are right about all this doom and gloom talk.

Fractional Reserve

The biggest threat to the economy is government debt if rate increase in other dodgy european countries well then it sets of a clusterfook

New Threads

Most Replies