• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Irish in Newfoundland

JohnD66

Nice article here by Shay Dunphy on the Irish experience in Newfoundland.

‘Waterford Parted from the Sea’ – The Irish in Newfoundland | The Irish Story

I think there's Radharc film from the 70s, which shows how 'Irish' - in accent, customs and music, the people there still were. (Are they still?) Apparently it started off as seasonal migration by fishermen from the south-east, principally County Waterford in the late 18th century and became permanent settlement some time in the mid 19th. One of the few Irish communities in North America to remain predominantly rural on he other side of the Atlantic.

One of the interesting things for me was that they in turn migrated fro work to US cities and were influenced, in music and other ways by Irish-American culture. Human societies being endlessly innovative I suppose.

Boy M5

Many of them still speak with a Waterford accent

b.a. baracus

Couple of discussions on this here before John.

I have seen the Radharc documentary. One of the Newfies they interviewed sounded like he was straight out of Wexford Town (Edit: I see BoyM5 says there were Waterford accents but I say Wexford, there was a well known connection with the South East either way and there may have been both accents on display in the doc). Unbelievable.

Newfoundland had more than one Irish language newspaper in the 19th century and possibly later.

carlovian

I'm in Canada quite a bit as ivefamily there and the Irish accent thing of the Newfoundlanders always amazes me.

Mind you there's a remote village in the afghan mountains which speak Greek to
this day as some of Alexander the greats army settled there.

asset test

The Newfoundland thing has always fascinated me. But it is research for when I retire, and can go there too.

The Monserrat thing is similar. Except they were slaves robbed from Baltimore in Cork, but I think the Newfoundland Irish were a different and even more fascinating demographic, I think.

Last edited:

JohnD66

Really? I've heard there are light skinned people there alright, but speaking Greek? Phenomenal if true.

The Montserrat thing is similar. Except they were slaves robbed from Baltimore in Cork, but I think the Newfoundland Irish were famine escapees. I think.
The Montserrat Irish I believe were originally deported there by the Cromwellians.

The Newfoundlanders were there as fishermen well before the famine.

Mackers

I saw a documentary about the subject and it was uncanny to hear the people in Newfoundland with the accents mentioned. A great show well worth looking up.

b.a. baracus

My uncle emigrated to Edmonton in Canada in the early 70's. Ended up working up north in Fort McMurray. First guy he met on the job was a Canadian who, on hearing his accent, asked him what part of Newfoundland he was from.

carlovian

Really? I've heard there are light skinned people there alright, but speaking Greek? Phenomenal if true.

The Montserrat Irish I believe were originally deported there by the Cromwellians.

The Newfoundlanders were there as fishermen well before the famine.
Michael wood did a bbc documentary. In search of Alexander the Great.

Excellent show if you get the chance to view it. He followed Alexander's journey through the modern
countries.

They don't like him much in Iran !

asset test

OK OK, have been rumbled by the Baltimore slave trade to Monserrat.

But there was some slave trading from Baltimore I remember reading it somewhere.

Dillettants are the pits!

ShoutingIsLeadership

It could be my imagination, but I think there was an Ireland/Newfoundland thread recently.

Boy M5

The Newfoundland thing has always fascinated me. But it is research for when I retire, and can go there too.

The Monserrat thing is similar. Except they were slaves robbed from Baltimore in Cork, but I think the Newfoundland Irish were a different and even more fascinating demographic, I think.
No Monserrat had nothing to do with Baltimore.
The people taken from Baltimore were settlers from South West England.
They were taken by Corsairs from North Africa part of the Turkish Empire, they were led by a renegade Dutchman.

asset test

No Monserrat had nothing to do with Baltimore.
The people taken from Baltimore were settlers from South West England.
They were taken by Corsairs from North Africa part of the Turkish Empire, they were led by a renegade Dutchman.
I hold my hand up! Mistaken identity. I had read something about Baltimore recently, and just assumed, of course I did. See my post 11 above.

It's still fascinating though. For when I retire. I'll have to rely on folk like you to keep me posted in the meantime!

Thanks again.

Boy M5

OK OK, have been rumbled by the Baltimore slave trade to Monserrat.

But there was some slave trading from Baltimore I remember reading it somewhere.

Dillettants are the pits!
Read my post above. It wasn't slave trading. Rather a one off raid that was common at tge time. However, there was piracy in Baltimore. In fact the people the South West English settled the land of were 3.5 centuries ahead of the Somalians.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
St Johns of course is twinned with Waterford. Would be interesting to get a survey of the number of South-eastern names in the Avalonian area.

Although with a definite canadian influence, the accent is pastoral south east Irish.

[video=youtube;0Xmqb4W2T0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xmqb4W2T0M[/video]

Schomberg

Colonialism is bad.

asset test

Read my post above. It wasn't slave trading. Rather a one off raid that was common at tge time. However, there was piracy in Baltimore. In fact the people the South West English settled the land of were 3.5 centuries ahead of the Somalians.
Thanks. I promise you, I will never again post on a thread I know just a little about....after a few glasses of red to celebrate a birthday. Like today. But thanks for the clarification. Really.

wombat

My uncle emigrated to Edmonton in Canada in the early 70's. Ended up working up north in Fort McMurray. First guy he met on the job was a Canadian who, on hearing his accent, asked him what part of Newfoundland he was from.
McMurray is full of Newfies, I think they may have direct flights to St Johns now.

momentimori

I'm in Canada quite a bit as ivefamily there and the Irish accent thing of the Newfoundlanders always amazes me.

Parts of Sicily still speak a dialect of ancient Greek despite being ruled by the Carthaginian, Romans, Spanish, French and Italians over the millennia.

jmcc

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies