The Irish Language Commissioner is a MORON

corelli

Here, from todays Irish Times, is a call from another quango head, for POSITIVE discrimination in favor of Irish speakers in recruitment to the Public Service, a language barley anyone speaks, and for which there is little demand for.
This in the face of the biggest recession in the history of the State, where there is a reduction in the numbers of public servants anyway, plus a recruitment bar AND the fact that it is these exact people, with politicians, particularly in financial areas, who got us into this mess in the first instance.

NO YOU MORON, you don't positively discriminate. YOU HIRE THE BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB.

Call to hire more Irish speakers for State sector - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 29, 2010

Ceartgoleor

If thats the case we could advertise for public servants in China and improve the chance of getting people qualified to do the job.

But no doubt you will expect them to have English language skills?

Just goes to show you cant please all the morons all of the time !

rubensni

I presume he make the speech in English.

Bridget558

In fairness it is crazy that only 1.5 percent of department of education staff can speak irish to the public.

picador

Proficiency in the official language of the state should of course be a requirement - shame that it isn't already

USER1234

Proficiency in the official language of the state should of course be a requirement - shame that it isn't already
The de facto official language of the state is English (which we already speak), therefore the only requirement is to hire the best person for the job !!!

Last edited:

corelli

In fairness it is crazy that only 1.5 percent of department of education staff can speak irish to the public.
Why is that crazy? There is little demand for it. There is probably about a thousand people working in the department itself. Surely 15 people speaking it is more than sufficient.

corelli

THAT, is completely and utterly impractical. Some of us live in the real world where no-one outside sandal wearing bearded pseudo intellectuals, generally employed in the public service anyway, and the few remaining people living in the Gaeltacht areas actually speak the language.

picador

The de facto official language of the state is english, therefore the only requirement is to hire the best person for the job !!!
Indeed, hire the best person for the job. Bilingualism should be a requirement.

Squib

I'm an Irish person who can't speak Irish very well.

Can I have an Irish language disability grant?

I also live in a non-Gaeltacht area, can I have a grant to enable me live in a Gaeltacht area for a while?

Could I have a grant to setup an outreach program (a Quango of sorts) between non-native Irish speaker and gaelgoirs?

Can I have a grant to preserve my way of life (in a suburb of an Irish town)? It is way of life I inherited from my parents!

picador

THAT, is completely and utterly impractical. Some of us live in the real world where no-one outside sandal wearing bearded pseudo intellectuals, generally employed in the public service anyway, and the few remaining people living in the Gaeltacht areas actually speak the language.
Irish Language Commissioner promotes Irish language. Non-Irish language speakers in predictable outrage foaming-at-the-mouth shock horror.

myhonorisloyalty666

This demented fixation on a dead language has to end. It's absolutely unhinged.

The only people who want to keep the Irish language mandatory outside of the Gaeltacht areas are mad nationalist fanatics, shinners and provos.

The kind of people who insist on talking in Irish to a Garda who is writing out a speeding ticket just because they can.

USER1234

Indeed, hire the best person for the job. Bilingualism should be a requirement.
That rubbish for a few reasons:

1) You'd never find enough Irish speaker to fill all the jobs!!!

2) There Bilingualism would be wasted

Its better they use the Irish language speaker they have on the few customers who to deal in Irish!!!

Last edited:

deise go deo

Here, from todays Irish Times, is a call from another quango head, for POSITIVE discrimination in favor of Irish speakers in recruitment to the Public Service, a language barley anyone speaks, and for which there is little demand for.
This in the face of the biggest recession in the history of the State, where there is a reduction in the numbers of public servants anyway, plus a recruitment bar AND the fact that it is these exact people, with politicians, particularly in financial areas, who got us into this mess in the first instance.

NO YOU MORON, you don't positively discriminate. YOU HIRE THE BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB.

Call to hire more Irish speakers for State sector - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 29, 2010
No he is not, I met the man a few months ago, He has some very interesting ideas for the promotion of Irish. One of them is positive discrimination to redress the imbalance of too few Irish speakers in the public Service. There are not enough Public Servants who deal with the public with enough Irish to deal with people Through Irish.

His job is to implement the Official Languages act 2003, Under that act, the public has the right to communicate with the state through the medium of Irish, When part of a civil servants job will include communicating with the public through Irish it makes sense that people who can speak Irish should be hired.

deise go deo

This demented fixation on a dead language has to end. It's absolutely unhinged.

The only people who care about the Irish language are shinners and provos.
Wow, thats the most bull I have seen in two lines in a while.
First off, By the defination of what a dead language is(A language that has no Native Speakers) Irish Is Not dead,

As for your second point, Do you think Enda Kenny is a shinner? Or is he a provo?
There are even some Unionists in NI who can speak Irish.
Amadán:rolleyes:

picador

When part of a civil servants job will include communicating with the public through Irish it makes sense that people who can speak Irish should be hired.
But no, the job should go to 'the best person', preferably someone who doesn't speak Irish and who holds Irish-speakers in contempt on the basis that they're all bearded, sandal-wearing Provos. :rolleyes:

It is any wonder this country has so little pride left?

USER1234

Irish Language Commissioner promotes Irish language. Non-Irish language speakers in predictable outrage foaming-at-the-mouth shock horror.
No, unlike you were realists, we are in the depths of a major economic crisis unlike any in the history of this state, and you want us to spend more time and money to facilitate a very small portion of the country by forcing us to hire more people, when there already some Irish speakers in the public service who could be retasked to deal with any member of the public through Irish

myhonorisloyalty666

Wow, thats the most bull I have seen in two lines in a while.
First off, By the defination of what a dead language is(A language that has no Native Speakers) Irish Is Not dead,

As for your second point, Do you think Enda Kenny is a shinner? Or is he a provo?
There are even some Unionists in NI who can speak Irish.
Amadán:rolleyes:
Amadan? Gobble boggle coggle. Whatever.
You trying to show off? Speak English and stop play acting.

dent

I would prefer that my child was taught Mandarin rather than the Irish language.

New Threads

Most Replies