The Irish Secret Service

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
I remember a few years ago a sum of money was allocated to the Irish Secret Service in the Budget. I think it was in 1997. has anything more every been heard about them.

daithimac said:
I remember a few years ago a sum of money was allocated to the Irish Secret Service in the Budget. I think it was in 1997. has anything more every been heard about them.
The financial allocation is passed every year by the Dail without question or debate. They do a damn good job by thr way.

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
what is the job they do? I heard rumor that the allocation is a slush fund to pay informants. I heard others that its a MI5 type agency.

Stíofán

Website
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
JCSkinner said:
They barely get enough to run an office. About 700K was the last annual figure I saw.
Apparenly there isn't an office or a 'structure' as such, the money is just allocated between Army and Garda Intelligence

beardyboy

A damn good job - so secretive no one knows that they exist

Mark200

Website
www.clubcaptain.co.uk
Isn't the point of the secret service (in America anyway) just to protect the president? In other words, just paying for a few guys to stand beside her and look tough.

Universal_001

Ok, guys, it's really not that exciting.

It's not a bodygaurd service, it's a slush fund used by Garda and Army Intel for the more calndestine parts of their work, not an actual service in it'sself.
(How COULD it be, on 700 000)

EamonMechanic

The Secretary-General of the Department of Finance is the Accounting Officer for the Secret Service Vote (i.e. voted monies). S/he can be asked by the Public Accounts Committee what it is spent on or any other questions relating to it but it is custom and practice just to let the Vote pass 'on the nod' unchallenged. The last Minister to "create problems" about it by asking questions was John Boland of FG in the 1980s. He was quickly slapped down.

A_man_about_a_dog

Mark200 said:
Isn't the point of the secret service (in America anyway) just to protect the president? In other words, just paying for a few guys to stand beside her and look tough.

There's a bit more to it than that........

MISSION STATEMENT
The United States Secret Service is mandated by statute and executive order to carry out two significant missions: protection and criminal investigations. The Secret Service protects the president and vice president, their families, heads of state, and other designated individuals; investigates threats against these protectees; protects the White House, vice president’s residence, foreign missions, and other buildings within Washington, D.C.; and plans and implements security designs for designated National Special Security Events. The Secret Service also investigates violations of laws relating to counterfeiting of obligations and securities of the United States; financial crimes that include, but are not limited to, access device fraud, financial institution fraud, identity theft, computer fraud; and computer-based attacks on our nation’s financial, banking, and telecommunications infrastructure.
take a look for yourself.............
http://www.secretservice.gov/

Stíofán

Website
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
Mark200 said:
Her? :?: Wishful thinking on your part!
Hillary hasn't been elected yet! :wink:

Reece

daithimac said:
what is the job they do? I heard rumor that the allocation is a slush fund to pay informants. I heard others that its a MI5 type agency.
Well I suppose it is secret. Wonder how they recruit - MI5+6 are said to 'proposition' the 'brighest and best' of those at 'Oxbridge'.

Litttle chance of of good career prospects here on €700 grand - has to be a slush fund!

Universal_001

and there will be an "agreed candidate" in 20011, mark my words.

A_man_about_a_dog

Reece said:
Universal_001 said:
....in 20011....
Don't care, won't be around in 20,011! :lol:
Dont think anyone will....... global warming will have cleansed the earth of human life! :twisted:

Universal_001

A_man_about_a_dog said:
Reece said:
[quote="Universal_001":1ximv0fy]....in 20011....
Don't care, won't be around in 20,011! :lol:
Dont think anyone will....... global warming will have cleansed the earth of human life! :twisted:[/quote:1ximv0fy]

No the hippie commie liberals will have been proven wrong and we will be living in a free market paradise.,

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies