The Irish Times and the Principle of Privacy

ger12

“I have always considered my health a private matter. The media in the main, has respected my privacy. I am thankful to them for that. I am very disappointed that the Irish Times are not respecting that privacy and believe that this will cause my family distress.”

The Irish Times this week revealed the medical illness suffered by a very prominent politician who had not to date gone public with his illness.

Principle 5 of the Code of Practice for the Press is - Privacy.
5.1 Privacy is a human right, protected as a personal right in the Irish Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights, which is incorporated into Irish law. The private and family life, home and correspondence of everyone must be respected.
5.5 Public persons are entitled to privacy. However, where people hold public office, deal with public affairs, follow a public career, or have sought or obtained publicity for their activities, publication of relevant details of their private life and circumstances may be justifiable where the information revealed relates to the validity of the their conduct, the credibility of their public statements, the value of their publicly expressed views or is otherwise in the public interest.

The politician in question has been critical of the Irish Times, claiming he had a right to privacy about his medical condition.

I reckon he makes a very far point and the IT have have displayed very poor taste in breaching his privacy in this regard. Do you?

http://www.presscouncil.ie/code-of-practice

D

Deleted member 17573

I agree with the OP - and I see nothing in the code of practice to get the IT off the hook.

Last edited by a moderator:

ger12

between the bridges

Martyrs illness would be his own business if he wasn't DFM or leader of Sf/ra in nordieland, he has resigned from one and not the other (yet)...

Sister Mercedes

We had similar attacks of the vapours on this site when Brian Lenihan's health was made public by TV3. As if the imminent death of a politician is none of our business when they're in charge of the state during a time of crisis and serious decisions to be made. We're still dealing with the consequences of that one.

ger12

Martyrs illness would be his own business if he wasn't DFM or leader of Sf/ra in nordieland, he has resigned from one and not the other (yet)...
We demand standards and have SIPO to enforce what we expect to know about politicians, in fact I believe we should also demand to know what their liabilities are as well as their assets.

However, privacy is a human right, protected as a personal right in the Irish Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights. Why did the IT disregard this right? Was it motivated by the politicians beliefs?

Dedogs

We had similar attacks of the vapours on this site when Brian Lenihan's health was made public by TV3. As if the imminent death of a politician is none of our business when they're in charge of the state during a time of crisis and serious decisions to be made. We're still dealing with the consequences of that one.
100 % mate....

between the bridges

We demand standards and have SIPO to enforce what we expect to know about politicians, in fact I believe we should also demand to know what their liabilities are as well as their assets.

However, privacy is a human right, protected as a personal right in the Irish Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights. Why did the IT disregard this right? Was it motivated by the politicians beliefs?
It was all over social media, presumably they thought they would break the story in the mainstream before anyone else...

Plebian

It's definitely a matter of public interest due to his position. If they're not allowed to reveal it then they shouldn't have as they could have given the gist of the overall seriousness of the illness without going into the details.

fat finger

“I have always considered my health a private matter. The media in the main, has respected my privacy. I am thankful to them for that. I am very disappointed that the Irish Times are not respecting that privacy and believe that this will cause my family distress.”

The Irish Times this week revealed the medical illness suffered by a very prominent politician who had not to date gone public with his illness.

Principle 5 of the Code of Practice for the Press is - Privacy.
5.1 Privacy is a human right, protected as a personal right in the Irish Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights, which is incorporated into Irish law. The private and family life, home and correspondence of everyone must be respected.
5.5 Public persons are entitled to privacy. However, where people hold public office, deal with public affairs, follow a public career, or have sought or obtained publicity for their activities, publication of relevant details of their private life and circumstances may be justifiable where the information revealed relates to the validity of the their conduct, the credibility of their public statements, the value of their publicly expressed views or is otherwise in the public interest.

The politician in question has been critical of the Irish Times, claiming he had a right to privacy about his medical condition.

I reckon he makes a very far point and the IT have have displayed very poor taste in breaching his privacy in this regard. Do you?

Code of Practice

The illness of politicians and how it may affect their performance is a matter of public interest, it was therefore correct for the IT to reveal the politician's illness. It is disappointing that the politician did not understand that the governed have a right to know what is going on with the governors. In line with this, we also have a right to know about the sex lives of our politicians.

ger12

It was all over social media, presumably they thought they would break the story in the mainstream before anyone else...
Mainstream media on the whole it seems decided not to run with it.

He's fulfilling his duties in fairness. I don't see how breaching his privacy was for the common good so to speak.

ger12

The illness of politicians and how it may affect their performance is a matter of public interest, it was therefore correct for the IT to reveal the politician's illness. It is disappointing that the politician did not understand that the governed have a right to know what is going on with the governors. In line with this, we also have a right to know about the sex lives of our politicians.
Why do we have a right to know about their sex lives?

between the bridges

Why do we have a right to know about their sex lives?
Only if it involves Russian hookers and golden showers...

ger12

markmac

thats right,Lenihan once said funds would not flow out of here because we were an island.He was surely on strong meds when he said that.We have a right to know,same with man who possesses the nuclear button.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies