The irresistible appeal of the showcase capital.

The Field Marshal

I thought you were starting a thread about Irelands beautiful capitol city Dublin.

Set in a natural beautiful bay with a stunning mountain backdrop surely one of the loveliest and most historical cities in the world.

O

Oscurito

I thought you were starting a thread about Irelands beautiful capitol city Dublin.

Set in a natural beautiful bay with a stunning mountain backdrop surely one of the loveliest and most historical cities in the world.
I don't think of Dublin as a "showcase capital". It's got some lovely areas but you don't have to look too hard to find areas that need a wee lick of paint and a scrub up.

Anyway, a "showcase capital" is not just about how it looks: it's as much or even more about its function of presenting a particularly positive impression of the nation state of which it is the capital city. It might be a completely unreal impression but that's the idea.

Dublin doesn't do that and was never intended to. In some ways, Dublin presents a bad impression of Ireland as a whole. Some parts of Dublin city centre look worse than pretty much any other urban area in this country,

drummed

Absolute dump of 3rd world proportions. An ugly slum of crime and urban non-planning.

Easily the dirtiest least attractive capital in Europe. Would be much improved by a large scale NATO bombing campaign.

GOF58

Galway, the cultural capital should be the political capital too.

D

Deleted member 48908

Learned and erudite poster Field Marshal seems to think it already is.

I thought you were starting a thread about Irelands beautiful capitol city.

D

Deleted member 48908

I don't think of Dublin as a "showcase capital". It's got some lovely areas but you don't have to look too hard to find areas that need a wee lick of paint and a scrub up.

Anyway, a "showcase capital" is not just about how it looks: it's as much or even more about its function of presenting a particularly positive impression of the nation state of which it is the capital city. It might be a completely unreal impression but that's the idea.

Dublin doesn't do that and was never intended to. In some ways, Dublin presents a bad impression of Ireland as a whole. Some parts of Dublin city centre look worse than pretty much any other urban area in this country,
Baku's recent hosting of a formula one race has me intrigued enough to consider a visit. The place would certainly tick a lot of the boxes in your second paragraph there.

EUrJokingMeRight

They could say that. But they'd be lying as the regime there usually does. It was fine till a decade ago when they went on a mad binge of remodelling based on ethnic representations of a fake history which is all part of a long running dispute with Greece. They basically wrote an entirely new mostly imaginary history of the Macedonians (some dispute there's any such people) and redesigned the capital to reflect this new largely mythical story. Its a bizarre saga. Along the way they wasted and stole a lot of money. Most of which the EU had given them for assorted social and structural improvements. The road are still shocking anywhere outside the city and this summer the whole city flooded as they never bothered with flood drains. The whole thing is an absolute travesty in a poor country.
Sounds like Ireland and the IFSC :D

Cdebru

Abuja needs what, forty-fifty more years to catch up?

Besides, São Paulo is the capital with a population ten times of Brasilia.

Brasilia is the capital of Brazil. Sao Paolo has never been the capital, Rio was the capital before Brasilia was built.

O

Oscurito

Absolute dump of 3rd world proportions. An ugly slum of crime and urban non-planning.

Easily the dirtiest least attractive capital in Europe. Would be much improved by a large scale NATO bombing campaign.
Even worse than your aforementioned Skopje, eh? I

think Sir should see Bucharest....

O

Oscurito

Baku's recent hosting of a formula one race has me intrigued enough to consider a visit. The place would certainly tick a lot of the boxes in your second paragraph there.
The Aliyev clan is pumping incredible amounts of oil money into the capital. Meanwhile, despite having far more nominal wealth per capita than their bitter rivals, the Armenians, the average Azeri still ends up being worse off.

Pure showcase material is Baku....

Schuhart

"cultural capital"? What does that even mean, beyond a leprechaun-inspired soundbyte?

Much as it offends the deeply held beliefs that sustain our rural-fixated political mythology, Dublin is a very popular and successful city. Against the odds, and despite every obstacle erected by our rural-dominated anti-urban political system.

For example, in the first nine months of this year Dublin Airport served over 21 million passengers - over two million more than last year. That part-year increase alone is more than the total number of passengers that debt-free independent Shannon Airport will see in the full year. A significant achievement - as Dublin's capacity is constrained by a short runway; every other airport in its class has at least a 3,000 metre runway.

Dublin isn't an artificial showcase city. Its simply a city with its own life, and decades of self-sustained success behind it. No little town, with the country closing in on its streets.

D

Deleted member 48908

Brasilia is the capital of Brazil. Sao Paolo has never been the capital, Rio was the capital before Brasilia was built.
It's where everything gets done. Brazil's most important city.

Cdebru

It's where everything gets done. Brazil's most important city.

That may be true but it's not THE Capital, the Presidential residence as well as the federal parliament and senate and government departments and all the embassies are in Brasilia, that's been the capital since 1960.

Dasayev

Brasilia is a bit of a mess.

It's in the middle of nowhere, is a car dependent city, and the poor have to commute long distances to get to their places of work.

The South Koreans recently built Songdo. It's a smart city created from scratch. That's be more the model, if we wished to build a new city in this country.

Shpake

You should also see Skopje, Macedonia. Not new but entirely rebuilt as sort of ethnic Disneyland. Its extraordinary.
Say was that not rebuilt because an earthquake had destroyed the original... some time back in the mid-1960's...? I don't think it was done on some dictator's whim or to glorify his memory -- as in the case of Ceaucescou in Bucharest.

Armchair Activist

pure keynesian economics... you have to Love it.

its a means of transferring wealth to the lower classes through hard work and labor.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom