The Iveagh Markets under serious threat of falling down

statsman

According to the Irish Times today, An Taisce have asked Dublin City Council to step in and save the old market building from dereliction after a proposed restoration and development by 'Temple Bar hotelier and publican Martin Keane' ground to a halt.

Anyone who ever used to old market will be horrified by this situation. Bloody developers!

Dublin's Iveagh Markets at risk if

Roll_On

very annoying. I was looking forward to the new development, it would be fantastic for the area which is now finally gentrifying.

Mitsui2

According to the Irish Times today, An Taisce have asked Dublin City Council to step in and save the old market building from dereliction after a proposed restoration and development by 'Temple Bar hotelier and publican Martin Keane' ground to a halt.

Anyone who ever used to old market will be horrified by this situation. Bloody developers!

That's a bugger. I have very fond memories of going there in the 70s.

Mushroom

If An Taisce really want to get the support of Dublin City Councillors for saving the Iveagh Market then maybe they should suggest that it be re-named "Gaza North West" and that the Palestinian flag be flown above the building every day.

Mushroom

That's a bugger. I have very fond memories of going there in the 70s.
Never visited the market, but I remember the school taking us swimming in the Iveagh Baths in the 1960's - my main recollection is of how cold it always was!

Are the baths still there?

statsman

Never visited the market, but I remember the school taking us swimming in the Iveagh Baths in the 1960's - my main recollection is of how cold it always was!

Are the baths still there?
I believe it's now The Iveagh Fitness Club.

fergal1790

very annoying. I was looking forward to the new development, it would be fantastic for the area which is now finally gentrifying.
Ah yes it will be great to have the delousing house back next to the laundry:p

Sister Mercedes

If An Taisce is in favor of it, I'm against it. They think Dublin should be a dead museum rather than a living city.

gerhard dengler

Iveagh Market was going to be developed as a hotel during the first decade of the noughties.

When the building was operating as a market, it had the nickname "the smelly market".
Used to hate being brought in there when I was a nipper.

mr. jings

Such a great building. A sadly tarnished jewel that's long in need of some love.

Franzoni

Mothers family had stalls in the market ...learned to swim in the baths,how one of us wasn't killed diving off the balcony i'll never know...:D went to the bayno as a chizeller and ended up going to school there as well after the VEC took it over......

Seem to remember the Corpo being well able to issue CPO's in the 70's when it suited certain people....

Mushroom

..learned to swim in the baths...how one of us wasn't killed diving off the balcony i'll never know...:D
:shock2:

Jaysus! Even the "deep end" of that pool was pretty shallow.

Franzoni

:shock2:

Jaysus! Even the "deep end" of that pool was pretty shallow.
5ft 9" old money.....:D...shallow end was 2ft 9" IIRC......

My Da worked there when he was a nipper......he used to love the university galas as the students would throw money at the other crowds swimmers from the balcony to put them off and he would get into the pool afterwards and make a nice few bob ...;)

Franzoni

Such a great building. A sadly tarnished jewel that's long in need of some love.
Could be monster for the area.... which raises the question as to why even during the so called 'tiger' when they would develop the ground under your feet if you stood there long enough it was allowed to fester to the state it's in...

You will have to excuse my cynicism if i suspect there is more to this than meets the eye...

gerhard dengler

Mothers family had stalls in the market ...learned to swim in the baths,how one of us wasn't killed diving off the balcony i'll never know...:D went to the bayno as a chizeller and ended up going to school there as well after the VEC took it over......

Seem to remember the Corpo being well able to issue CPO's in the 70's when it suited certain people....
That's the VEC building across the road from the park beside St.Patricks Cathedral? If it is, that is a beautiful building.

Franzoni

That's the VEC building across the road from the park beside St.Patricks Cathedral? If it is, that is a beautiful building.
Yes it's the Liberties College now....

We knew it as the Bayno....bottle of milk and currant bun when we were kids....:D

milipod

Would make a great English market type thingy.

milipod

Speaking of buildings this is one of my favourites[video]http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/Surveys/Buildings/BuildingoftheMonth/Archive/Name,2096,en.html[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies