The Keepers -Netflix

Socratus O' Pericles

I'm almost finished this docuseries.

It is on Netflix looks into the mysterious disappearance and murder of a nun, Sister Cathy Cesnik, in 1969.

As the participants in the programme expound and examine the circumstances of the case, it becomes clear something even darker happened and, in that respect, makes the docuseries more worthwhile: a chronicle of systemic abuse from the points of view of the survivors.

As The Keepers starts investigating the mysterious disappearance of Sister Cathy Cesnik, it’s soon revealed that Cesnik may have uncovered horrendous sexual abuse that was going on at the school in which she taught, the all-girls Archbishop Keough High School.

The Keepers: Netflix's true crime documentary that's 'better than Making a Murderer' | The Independent

The by now dismally familiar part of the story ( rcc priests left in charge of children serially sexually abuse them, intimidate and threaten them and leave them psychologically scarred for life) is soon superseded by the horror of the depth of the level of collusion, denial and avoidance in the Baltimore City & County police, the sophistry of the sef-interested "key witnesses" and the almost total lack of respect, esteem or empathy for troubled young girls when weighed against the need for secrecy and cover-up by the rcc and the police.

I thought an auld cynic like myself couldn't be shocked , but shocked I am.

eoghanacht

Watched the first one after catching some guy on about it on the radio, am I right in thinking that the main suspect was a cleric and he fled to Ireland and worked with teenagers and young adults?

Socratus O' Pericles

Watched the first one after catching some guy on about it on the radio, am I right in thinking that the main suspect was a cleric and he fled to Ireland and worked with teenagers and young adults?
The referenced lawsuit had been brought by Jean Hargadon Wehner and another former pupil, Teresa Lancaster, who also claimed the priest had molested her, although this would later be thrown out due to a technicality over the law.

At the time, the Archdiocese would not reveal the whereabouts of Maskell's treatment, but it later emerged he had fled to Ireland. He remained there until his death in 2001.
What happened to Father Joseph Maskell, the abusive priest from Netflix's 'The Keepers'?

Half Nelson

TheField

Apparently worked away in Wexford as a counsellor employed by the state, no questions asked. Presume the f*cker is dead now?

eoghanacht

Apparently worked away in Wexford as a counsellor employed by the state, no questions asked. Presume the f*cker is dead now?
Probably.

amsterdemmetje

In fairness i heard a reporter from the area last week talk about how surprisingly the RC powers that be in the area flagged the guy many times to Gardai but fup all was done and as usual like everything here twas put on the long finger and took ages for the authorities here to act on him.Think he moved on himself when things got to hot.

savlanut

...During his time in Wexford from approximately late 1994 to 1998, Fr. Maskell lived in Castlebridge and worked for about eight months as a clinical psychologist for the SEHB (now the Health Service Executive) which referred children to him for assessment. He later spent about three years in private practice at an office in Common Quay Street.

During his stay, the Diocese of Ferns became aware of his activities and contacted the Archdiocese of Baltimore for information, subsequently notifying the SEHB and the gardai about the risks of him having access to children.

The HSE has refused to release any information about Fr. Maskell due to a data protection policy relating to current and former employees although at the time, it informed the Diocese that Fr. Maskell had given an assurance not to work with anyone under the age of 18...Wexford people who had dealings with Fr. Maskell during his time here, have been shocked by the allegations about the priest, particularly parents whose children were assessed or counselled by him on referrals by the South Eastern Health Board.

Netflix claims about priest linked to Wexford - WexfordPeople.ie

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies