The Kosovan Domino.

G

Gadjodilo

Just when you thought the Balkans was settling down to become a nice stable corner of Mittel-Europa, think again. It's bored with being boring and is starting to get interesting again. And as always with the Balkans, what happens there can have huge effects for the rest of Europe

It will start in Kosovo - the 90% Albanian province which is due to declare independence any day now and will be recognised by the EU and the US. This will royally piss off the Serbs and their big brothers in Russia.

It will have major ramifications for Bosnia. Decision making in Bosnia is totally paralysed because agreement is needed between all the ethnic groups and the Serbs drag their heels. Recent proposals by Slovak diplomat Miroslav Lajcak to break the logjam has led to the worst political turmoil in Bosnia since the end of the 1992-95 war. And the Bosnian Serbs are saying they want out.

It's hard to argue with their logic. If it's okay for the Kosovar Albanians to secede, why can't the Republika Bosna Srpska?

However, this is where those bloody-minded Russians clamber up on stage. They are talking about taking this logic one step further. If the Kosovars jump ship from the Good Ship (ahem!) Serbia, the Russians are threatening to recognise their little statelets that they've carved out here and there:
- Trans-Dniestr Republic from Moldova
- Abkhazia from Georgia
- South Ossetia (also from Georgia)

...... not to mention Nagorno Karabakh which the Armenians seized from Azerbaijan in the early 90s.

Watch this space.
 


seabhcan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
14,228
The Russians were the first to recognise a certain breakaway "statelet" not a million miles from here in 1918. I don't see anything wrong with them recognising Abkhazia or Ossetia.

The US and UK were largely behind the breakup of Yugoslavia. They want Kosovo 'independent' and occupied as a foothold in the region. The US has 10 times more troups in peaceful Kosovo, per head of local population, than they have in Iraq.

There's no oil in Kosovo. What else do they want?
 

Gussie

Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2007
Messages
17
Good post. One of the most fascinating geopolitical issues. If the Kossovan Albanians can secede, where does it stop?

The Californian Mexicans? The Bradford Pakistanis?

The Limerick Poles?
 

MookieBaylock

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
403
Serbs should be let take Republica Srbska as a trade off over Kosovo - they would accept that..

Croats should be Herzgovina - especially after last night!!
 

Trampas

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
14,876
Macedonia could also become interesting with a 25% "ethnic Albanian" population. It seems to me that a "greater Albania" is on the horizon.
 
G

Gadjodilo

seabhcan said:
The Russians were the first to recognise a certain breakaway "statelet" not a million miles from here in 1918. I don't see anything wrong with them recognising Abkhazia or Ossetia.

The US and UK were largely behind the breakup of Yugoslavia. They want Kosovo 'independent' and occupied as a foothold in the region. The US has 10 times more troups in peaceful Kosovo, per head of local population, than they have in Iraq.

There's no oil in Kosovo. What else do they want?
1. The Russians don't give a flying f**k about the Abkhazians or the Ossetians. It's all about undermining Georgia which DARED to break free of Russian domination.
2. If the Russians are so concerned about the rights of minorities, why did they commit quasi-genocide in suppressing the independence fight of the Chechens.
3. Yeah, same old cliché. Blame the Brits and the Yanks. It fact, it was Slobodan Milosevic who broke up Yugoslavia. He knew the way the wind was blowing and went overnight from being a communist to being a Serb nationalist. He stirred up the Serb minority in Kosovo in 1987 and used their "plight" to crack down on Albanians. That was what started the movements in Croatia and Slovenia for independence.
 
G

Gadjodilo

Gussie said:
Good post. One of the most fascinating geopolitical issues. If the Kossovan Albanians can secede, where does it stop?

The Californian Mexicans? The Bradford Pakistanis?

The Limerick Poles?
They're 90% of the population, FFS! If that's not a mandate, what is?
 
G

Gadjodilo

seabhcan said:
There are 100k Serbs in Kosovo too. What happens to them?
They could stay. They'd be treated better than the Serbs treated the Albanians.
 

Riadach

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
12,817
seabhcan said:
The Russians were the first to recognise a certain breakaway "statelet" not a million miles from here in 1918. I don't see anything wrong with them recognising Abkhazia or Ossetia.
Wasn't that due to a loan the republic had promised them?
 

Podolski

Active member
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
104
Gadjodilo said:
Gussie said:
Good post. One of the most fascinating geopolitical issues. If the Kossovan Albanians can secede, where does it stop?

The Californian Mexicans? The Bradford Pakistanis?

The Limerick Poles?
They're 90% of the population, FFS! If that's not a mandate, what is?
This was achieved through the ethnic cleansing of the local Serbs. Kosovo has never been independent. What next after Kosovo - lop off the Serbian province of Voyvodina? Derry?
 

Trampas

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
14,876
Gadjodilo said:
seabhcan said:
There are 100k Serbs in Kosovo too. What happens to them?
They could stay. They'd be treated better than the Serbs treated the Albanians.
Maybe. But just to be on the safe side a 24-hour armed guard on all Kosovan Serbs would not go amiss.
 

seabhcan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
14,228
Gadjodilo said:
1. The Russians don't give a flying f**k about the Abkhazians or the Ossetians. It's all about undermining Georgia which DARED to break free of Russian domination.
Why do you think the US cares about Kosovo. They don't do anything for free. Kosovo can break away from Serbia but it won't be independent until the NATO occupation ends.
 
9

905

I can see an independent Cork in a few years time! Seriously though, what about Chechnya? Have Russians taken their recognising statelets threat to its conclusion?
 
G

Gadjodilo

Podolski said:
Gadjodilo said:
They're 90% of the population, FFS! If that's not a mandate, what is?
This was achieved through the ethnic cleansing of the local Serbs. Kosovo has never been independent. What next after Kosovo - lop off the Serbian province of Voyvodina? Derry?
Wrong, it wasn't. Kosovans have been a majority there for centuries. They outbred the Serbs. As long ago as the mid-1930s, the Serbs have been slaughtering Kosovans trying to wipe them out.
 
G

Gadjodilo

seabhcan said:
Why do you think the US cares about Kosovo. They don't do anything for free. Kosovo can break away from Serbia but it won't be independent until the NATO occupation ends.
While you indulge in your geo-political ramblings and conspiracy theorising from the safety of your cosy West European armchair, might I point out that the Kosovans overwhelmingly welcome the protection they receive from NATO. It's their only defence from the same treatment that the Serbs dished out in all Muslim males in Srebrenica.

Mass Extermination.
 

Rocky

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
8,505
seabhcan said:
The Russians were the first to recognise a certain breakaway "statelet" not a million miles from here in 1918. I don't see anything wrong with them recognising Abkhazia or Ossetia.

The US and UK were largely behind the breakup of Yugoslavia. They want Kosovo 'independent' and occupied as a foothold in the region. The US has 10 times more troups in peaceful Kosovo, per head of local population, than they have in Iraq.

There's no oil in Kosovo. What else do they want?
The US and the EU wants a peaceful, stable and democratic Kosovo to develop. They are only there because of what happened at the end of the 90's. Right now Kosovo is militarily occupied by NATO and run by the EU and it has massive unemployment, which will continue until it has a native democratic government. The Serbian government can't run the Kosovo because of what happened there before and 90% of the people who live in Kosovo don't want to be run by Serbia. The only realistic option is an Independent Kosovo and I don't see why the principle of National Self-Determination should be ignored in an area where 90% of the people want to be Independent. The current situation can't remain long-term and if it does Kosovo will explode again or at best continue to have massive levels of unemployment and remain poor which isn’t good enough.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top