The Last Debate: Varadkar v Martin v McDonald.

StarryPlough01

Starry: An Irish mother's torn heart finally understands why her daughter Patricia can't return home to live … *Health* and *Housing* crises …

Irish abroad on Election 2020: ‘My mother understands why I would choose not to come back’

‘I’ve worked so hard, only for the Government to make it impossible to come home’

about 19 hours ago

By Rachel Flaherty

[Nurse] Patricia McCabe, Australia: ‘The choice to move home has been taken out of my hands’
"I’ve lived abroad for nearly 18 years. I trained as a nurse in London and made the decision to travel to Australia for a year, and that year has now become 12. […]​
"Being a nurse I was aware of the ongoing health care crisis and the terrible conditions reported both for patients and the health care workers. Although I stayed abroad through personal choice this was definitely a reason I was “put off” moving home. I am now facing another one - the housing crisis.​
[…] Having family here [in Ireland] I would never be homeless, but my dog and I would really struggle to find a place to call our own.​
For a long time my mother felt very hurt and confused as to why I would choose to stay abroad. The general election lead up has brought the country’s issues to the forefront. This is the first time she seems to understand why. It’s a very sad state of affairs.​
Thu, Feb 6, 2020, 08:00​
[Journalist] Alice Murphy in Sydney
After growing up in Drumcondra on the north side of Dublin, I moved to Sydney in Australia almost two years ago when I was 24 years old.​
[…]​
I want to return home, some days more than others, but I’m frightened when I look at the difficulties faced by the friends and family I left behind. The few who can afford to rent are cash strapped out of normal existence, unable to get ahead even with well-regarded university degrees and what were once well respected, well paid jobs. The ones who left and have since returned to Ireland talk of little but where they will travel to next, because​
“there’s nothing for us at home’”- and there won’t be, not if things carry on as they are.

Starry:

For Irish people every hopeless day is the same, nothing ever changes. There is no social contract. Anarchy will befall us.

StarryPlough01

New York Times

'Ireland’s Two-Party System Shaken by Sinn Fein Surge'

Feb. 7, 2020Updated 11:12 a.m. ET

By The Associated Press

"Polls show a surprise surge — maybe even a lead — for Sinn Fein […]​
[…]​

Sinn Fein President Mary Lou McDonald said:

"The people were ahead of the curve in real terms in articulating the kind of profound change that they want. People were telling us 'We want change and by the way you are it, so get ready and serve us well,'" she said on Friday, the final day of campaigning.

[…]​
"Sinn Fein is running only 42 candidates, too few to win outright, but could hold the balance of power. Fianna Fail and Fine Gael both say they won’t form a coalition with Sinn Fein — but their resolve could be tested if the party does well.​

Jonathan Evershed, a postdoctoral researcher in government and politics at University College Cork said:

[...] "whatever the result, the election “has demonstrated the extent to which Sinn Fein has moved into the political mainstream.”

StarryPlough01

Saturday’s Papers

Admin at 10:47 pm February 7, 2020

Irish Examiner

'FG cling to hope of last minute swing'

examiner-3-scaled.jpg

FG hasn't given hope to the estimated figure of 15,000 homeless - Campaigner Fr Peter McVerry... Health crisis... People want a social contract.

#Vote4Change
#DumpZappone

jmcc

Saturday’s Papers

Admin at 10:47 pm February 7, 2020

Irish Examiner

'FG cling to hope of last minute swing'

examiner-3-scaled.jpg

FG hasn't given hope to the estimated figure of 15,000 homeless - Campaigner Fr Peter McVerry... Health crisis... People want a social contract.

#Vote4Change
#DumpZappone
The headline writers are having great fun with the Maria Bailey/Swinggate theme. :)

StarryPlough01

^^^ In that article - an acknowledged future female Taoiseach - a *First* for Ireland - Mary Lou McDonald said:

"Canvassing in Dublin, Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald said people needed to realise that their vote matters.​
Every vote is equal tomorrow,” said Ms McDonald. “The vote of the wealthiest person, the vote of the person who is really struggling, you have an equal say, please realise that and please come out and vote for change.”

(y)

StarryPlough01

We'll be seeing the rise of tent communities in the suburbs, on beaches...

And escalating crime figures...

Should FG&FF be re-elected..

'I think I'll die here' - the plight of homeless on millionaires' row

'Killiney Beach now a haven for rough sleepers'

January 25 2020 02:30 AM

By Laura Lynott

II%20GM%20Homeless%207.jpg

‘Nowhere to live’: Gerard Tynan sleeps under a railway arch at Killiney Beach, Dublin. Photo: Gerry Mooney

StarryPlough01

'Voters' desire for change driven by their belief that we can be better as a people'

By Martina Devlin

"Come what may, the Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil duopoly is being overturned. From a two-party State, we have become a three-party State - and the third bloc is part of the Stormont government, lending an all-island significance as never before in modern politics. (y)

"There is a real sense Sinn Féin is en route to government formation in Dáil Éireann for the first time since 1922, when its members sat in the Second Dáil. "And in topping recent opinion polls, there has been more than an echo of that first election fought by the party - the landslide 1918 ballot which led to the inaugural Dáil Éireann's foundation. (y)

"Those opinion polls show the party has broken with the past in a proportion of voters' minds. Furthermore, they reflect Sinn Féin's support among a young demographic for whom the Troubles are as remote as the trenches of WWI.

[…]

[…] We are the gatekeepers and beyond here you cannot pass. But it is the people's vote which ought to decide such matters, not the presumption of party leaders.

Who believes Leo Varadkar and Micheál Martin when they say they won't cosy up to Sinn Féin? Not me.

^^^ Nor me Martina. Hogwash! What craic MM saying his "principles" deter him from forming government with Sinn Fein.

Outstanding article!

AhNowStop

Meteor might not be the best metaphor for your vision here. You'll recall that while they burn brilliantly they also burn briefly.

Suppose FG and FF do put together a deal whereby one governs with the support of the other, and suppose that government performs as you predict. Why do you assume that SF would be the beneficiaries?

The voters might say 'we voted SF last time because we wanted change but they let FG/FF back again. This time we'll go Green or Labour'.
Wow, that last paragraph makes no sense whatsoever :rolleyes:

you’re anti-SF agenda is clouding your judgement Biffo

if the usual suspects divy up again, and chances are they will, and they fuk up again, and chances are they will, SF will be voted in next time round ...
your theory that the electorate will blame SF for another FF&FG coalition is idiotic .... SF can’t stop it and the electorate know that

Why the feck am I having to explain this :unsure:..... it’s simple .....
your obsession is getting the better of you now biffo

StarryPlough01

inLeoVaradkarMaryLouMcDonaldShakeHands080220_large.jpg

Juno McEnroe: Three biggest parties must cooperate or face the country again if exit poll holds true

By Juno McEnroe Political Correspondent

"The biggest parties will need to cooperate to form some type of government or a second general election could be looming over the country-if the shock exit poll figures are accurate.​
….​
"If the counts on Sunday reflect the poll predictions, both Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil could see Dail seat losses, while Sinn Féin, on the other hand, would see huge gains across the country.​
"Already, the talk is turning to just how a government can be formed with the dead heat, given that no one party could, if the counts are similar, command control of the Dail.​
….​
In Dublin, 22.3% of voters backed Sinn Féin while 21.1% supported Fine Gael and just 14% went with Fianna Fáil. This suggests that Micheál Martin's party may lose out on seat races in the capital.​
More info

james toney

Martin is the best debater of the three but in the earlier debates he been perceived as being tetchy and argumentative. He's under considerable pressure to avoid becoming the first FF leader not to be Taoiseach.

His goals are to win back some of the SF voters and to position FF as the only party that will be able to lead a stable government.

The challenge he faces is that there's no sign that the voters are interested in policy this time. The mantra is 'change' and FF, because of the Confidence and Supply agreement, is not perceived as a party of change.

We all knew it was heavily biased and Hilarious OP...but to double down on "the voters are not interested in policy" mantra is off the scale....it's like saying Martin plans to Woo SF voters 🙄

james toney

LOL! Of course they weren't interested in health,housing,pay,pensions,cuts,ect?... you are a headbanger....but great for a laugh.
There are None so blind as those that will not see.

james toney

Stop contradicting and lying to yourself once again....The FG/FF coalition policies have been a disaster.

james toney

LOL! "Even if that's true"
Thanks for confirming my original point.....stop lying to yourself.

StarryPlough01

We all knew it was heavily biased and Hilarious OP...but to double down on "the voters are not interested in policy" mantra is off the scale....it's like saying Martin plans to Woo SF voters 🙄

Karma sux!

Mary Lou McDonald @MaryLouMcDonald

It's official @sinnfeinireland won the election - highest popular vote #GE20

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQXlnrmXUAc6m_4?format=jpg&name=medium

6:48 AM · Feb 10, 2020

labor

Fascinating. 225 posts in 9 years, and all of a sudden you pop up.

BTW, a whole lot of politics is about emotion - we know we can't generally trust politicians, so it really is about whether we trust our own feelings as to which of them is best for us & for the country.
Haha, yeah. I've been living out of the country ever since; I didn't even know if my account still worked.

I can see how Mary-Lou connects alright, I'm just saying I'm naturally resistant to politicians who use primarily emotive arguments. It just feels disingenuous.

constitutionus

In retrospect rte is probably sighing with relief over adding Mary lou to the panal.

Can you IMAGINE the egg on face today after the electoral result we just had?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies