The Last Word, Today FM: Cal Thomas & Marion McKeown both avoiding each other?

Destiny's Soldier

I note that today on The Last Word with Matt Cooper, that Marion McKeown was interviewed in her usual slot to discuss US Politics except this time on her own. Cal Thomas will be guest commentator on his own tomorrow so it looks like the partnership opinion alongside McKeown is breaking down.

It is no surprise. Since the Trump election Cal's delivery of opinion has become more aggressive and he is no longer going along with the lazy stereotype as served up by Matt and Marion.

Disdain for each other's views is the order of the day and discussions between the 2 since Trump's inauguration has become more than heated. McKeown's style is dismissive & condescending and usually finishes off her points with a good chuckle for effect.

So has it come to a situation where Matt has to separate the 2 because it is obvious Cal Thomas has his Conservative Mojo back and is no longer going to passively accept lazy stereotype while McKeown and Cooper have a good snigger?

flavirostris

I don't know how Cal Thomas tolerated that ejit for so long. He's obviously an old-fashioned American gentleman and managed to restrain himself from screaming 'Shut the fnck up you dumb libtard.. you're not even American FFS'

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

She has her own Safe Space courtesy of Today FM I guess.

razorblade

I dont know how anyone could sit down and listen to Matt Cooper the man is such a bore, he makes liveline seem interesting.

jpc

The sneering and condescension in Coopers tone is a bit overdone.
He is meant to be objective and offer some examination of the situation.
But it's stereotypes and opinions not journalism from Matt these days.

Destiny's Soldier

I don't know how Cal Thomas tolerated that ejit for so long. He's obviously an old-fashioned American gentlemen and managed to restrain himself from screaming 'Shut the fnck up you dumb libtard.. you're not even American FFS'
You're right there that Cal is a gentleman. He has his own issues. I don't like the "Radical Islam" and "Israel defending itself" schtick that he delivers but most of the time Cal is polite. McKeown comes across like a lot of left type opinion writers. Condescending with superiority complex.

gijoe

I note that today on The Last Word with Matt Cooper, that Marion McKeown was interviewed in her usual slot to discuss US Politics except this time on her own. Cal Thomas will be guest commentator on his own tomorrow so it looks like the partnership opinion alongside McKeown is breaking down.

It is no surprise. Since the Trump election Cal's delivery of opinion has become more aggressive and he is no longer going along with the lazy stereotype as served up by Matt and Marion.

Disdain for each other's views is the order of the day and discussions between the 2 since Trump's inauguration has become more than heated. McKeown's style is dismissive & condescending and usually finishes off her points with a good chuckle for effect.

So has it come to a situation where Matt has to separate the 2 because it is obvious Cal Thomas has his Conservative Mojo back and is no longer going to passively accept lazy stereotype while McKeown and Cooper have a good snigger?
Their spot is on Tuesdays, not Mondays - after 6pm.

Dame_Enda

I dont know how anyone could sit down and listen to Matt Cooper the man is such a bore, he makes liveline seem interesting.
And so sanctimonious. Some Irish have this "preachy" gene which has transitioned from the priesthood of previous generations to the Left-Liberals of the present day.

Destiny's Soldier

Matt Cooper's show on the Last Word has totally degenerated into Tabloid. Long gone are the days when Eamon Dunphy had a guest in studio or on the line for 30 mins to do some serious analytical discussion on a topic like the Middle East or whatever.

Matt likes to serve up the safe mainstream opinion so that the show is light but utterly forgettable. I can't remember an occasion where I thought I want to download that show.

Destiny's Soldier

Their spot is on Tuesdays, not Mondays - after 6pm.
You may be right there but the point I'm making was the slot of US Politics not specifically the time or day of the week.

stopdoingstuff

Would they not give her more appropriate things to cover such as fashion shows, celebrity gossip, or the latest in weight loss for women?

flavirostris

You're right there that Cal is a gentleman. He has his own issues. I don't like the "Radical Islam" and "Israel defending itself" schtick that he delivers but most of the time Cal is polite. McKeown comes across like a lot of left type opinion writers. Condescending with superiority complex.
Cal is a pure gent. I have to say I disagreed with him completely over GW Bush and the Iraq war, which he defended all the time. He is basically a loyal Republican but hardly anybody would defend that retarded war nowadays. He's probably also too much of an Israel shill.

McKeown is just a sneering euro libtard who lives in America and loves to guffaw at the Republicans. She hasn't copped that the game has changed with Trump. This is American nationalism we're seeing. The old neo-con imperialism is dead.

Destiny's Soldier

Would they not give her more appropriate things to cover such as fashion shows, celebrity gossip, or the latest in weight loss for women?
Here am I having a good snigger. What a total hypocrite am I.

gerhard dengler

Thomas is about the only Republican contributor that an Irish listener gets to hear on Irish radio stations. His views are always interesting to listen to.

jpc

The Irish media establishment doesn't seem to grasp the election result.
And equally don't know how to analyse the result.
Hence the sneering guffaws and condescension.

Dame_Enda

I must admit though that I dont like Thomas's views on LGBT.

LGBT rights[edit]
After Bill Clinton became the first sitting United States president to address a gay rights organization, the Human Rights Campaign,[8] Thomas published a column[9] in November 1997 opposing homosexuality, in which he said:
God designed norms for behavior that are in our best interests. When we act outside those norms—such as for premarital sex, adultery, or homosexual sex—we cause physical, emotional, and spiritual damage to ourselves and to our wider culture. The unpleasant consequences of divorce and sexually transmitted diseases are not the result of intolerant bigots seeking to denigrate others. They are the result of violating God's standards, which were made for our benefit.
— Cal Thomas, Immutable Morals

Thomas published a similar column[10] on October 16, 2009, after Barack Obama became the second sitting United States president to address the Human Rights Campaign.[8] Thomas said:
We will get more of what we tolerate. Sexual behavior is an important cultural and moral issue. Mr. Obama won the election with just 52 percent of the popular vote and a margin of 7 percent over Sen. John McCain. This should not be seen as a mandate for him and his administration to make over America in a secular and liberal image. Neither should it be seen as an invitation to give blanket approval to homosexuality, considered by some to be against the best interests of the people who practice it as well as the nations that accept it.
— Cal Thomas, Don't Ask, Tell or Legitimize

flavirostris

The Irish media establishment doesn't seem to grasp the election result.
And equally don't know how to analyse the result.
Hence the sneering guffaws and condescension.
They just don't get it. They were all opposed to Trump, so how did he win?

stopdoingstuff

Joking aside though, what ever happened to people respecting differences in opinion? Why are people so fragile?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Matt Cooper's show on the Last Word has totally degenerated into Tabloid. Long gone are the days when Eamon Dunphy had a guest in studio or on the line for 30 mins to do some serious analytical discussion on a topic like the Middle East or whatever.

Matt likes to serve up the safe mainstream opinion so that the show is light but utterly forgettable. I can't remember an occasion where I thought I want to download that show.

Yet here you are starting a thread on it and talking about a change in the contributors

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies