• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Late Late Toy Gawk.

ruserious

Yes, folks!

You know it's Christmas when Tubby comes out in a horrendous wollen jumper each year to a plethora of screaming kids!
Like cringeworthy Pat and freaky Gay before him, Ry-un is here to show us Santy's gifts so mammies and daddies around the country can get ideas on prices.

Helen Moorhouse (Who?) says the show is a national treasure!
Helen Moorhouse: Just like Tayto and hurling, our Toy Show is a national treasure - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
Perhaps we can sell it off for a few quid to pay the troika so huh??

Available to watch here: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online

9.35 PM.

Gawk! Bah...Humbug.

Frank Galton

They should do a section on ghost estate houses that are cheaper than some of the toys being displayed.

Ribeye

Ah stop with your negativity,

The future tax units enjoy it, let them have their fun for now,

God knows, their adult lives are going to be fckn miserable!

flavirostris

Any chance one of the rugrats might wallop Tubridy in the nads with a wooden mallet or cricket bat.

ruserious

That is a sight more miserable than my OP :shock2:

lying eyes

I agree there, what a fine legacy we have left the next generation??????

ruserious

I agree there, what a fine legacy we have left the next generation??????
I was still in second level education the night of the infamous guarantee. Me and all like me will have to pay for this mess our entire working lives, meanwhile those who caused it are walking out with OAP benefits untouched. Scuse me if I come across bitter.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Decided to perform a little social experiment last night by asking friends of mine not to post stuff on FB about the Droyshow as I would "block" or "unfriend" them.

Started off slow... then the vitriol began (for whatever reason), calls of "it's a Xmas tradition...", "think of the children"..."Scrooge", "Mean bastard!"... even " Miserable See You Next Tuesday".

I had 64 fewer friends at the end of it. Nice clear out of people who weren't really "friends" to begin with I'd say.

Tonight I'm going to do a "Can someone tell me what the point of Santa is?" and see what reaction that returns...

PlanetBertie

Any chance one of the rugrats might wallop Tubridy in the nads with a wooden mallet or cricket bat.
Not with a cricket bat, the bat belongs to a foreign sport and is banned under GAA rule 666. It would be much better if he was attacked with a steel Hurley.

PlanetBertie

Decided to perform a little social experiment last night by asking friends of mine not to post stuff on FB about the Droyshow as I would "block" or "unfriend" them.

Started off slow... then the vitriol began (for whatever reason), calls of "it's a Xmas tradition...", "think of the children"..."Scrooge", "Mean bastard!"... even " Miserable See You Next Tuesday".

I had 64 fewer friends at the end of it. Nice clear out of people who weren't really "friends" to begin with I'd say.

Tonight I'm going to do a "Can someone tell me what the point of Santa is?" and see what reaction that returns...
Mr Funky, the point of Santa is to get cash strapped parents buying overpriced toys for their ugly children. He is a marketing creation probably invented by Americans.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Mr Funky, the point of Santa is to get cash strapped parents buying overpriced toys for their ugly children. He is a marketing creation probably invented by Americans.
I'm glad someone agrees with me. I just plan on stoking the fires and seeing how bitter people get when trying to defend the lie. It'll be interesting (at least for me).

PlanetBertie

Wait I might have got that wrong, Ugly Americans were invented by overpriced children buying Santa toys.

richie268

Will we get to witness the superiority of the Billie Barry babies versus the average middle class or working class babies? Is a contract in place between the Billie Barry school and RTE?

Agency - Billie Barry Stage School, Dublin, Ireland
"Over the past 47 years the Billie Barry Kids have appeared consistently in productions in all of Ireland's leading theatres and in London's West End. The School boasts an abundance of movie credits and major TV roles. The Billie Barry Kids have performed on most of RTE's home produced light entertainment programmes. Our students are regularly cast in TV commercials, radio voice-overs, music videos and fashion photo shoots. The children have featured in the annual Gaiety Christmas Panto since 1971. That's 41 consecutive pantos!"

From the Billie Barry agency comes the latter statement.

Should other Children from less well off areas and with Dublin accents not be allowed a look in which could be based on a school lottery participation program or is the Toy Show just more evidence of a continuing failed systems that benefits those that have?

PlanetBertie

Can someone explain why the host feels the need to wear a crap xmas sweater and the audience dress as cartoon characters?
I won't watch it, I help out in the youth club. I'm a celebrity get me out of here.

Davidoff

I wonder how many of the guests tonight pay tax like the rest of us.

How many of them park their money offshore?
How many claim the artists' exemption?
How many get paid through a shelf-company, avoiding such indignities as the USC, PRSI and the like?

Still, the important thing is that they 'feel our pain' and that they get their ten minutes of free advertising to flog whatever worthless sh1te they're selling.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

The only good thing I have to say about this annual display in RTE mediocrity is that all of the toys/books etc are donated to the Children's Hospital iirc.

zippo222

What you say may be right. But that's Santa you're talking about. Now Santy is a much different sort of fellah. Santy is a memory and an idea that the kids will keep with them for the rest of their lives, and hopefully pass on to their own kids. Santy is well thought of in Ireland. And long may that be the case. (I'd wish you all a Happy Christmas but it's still only November.)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies