The latest annual survey of Irish attitudes to the EU produces an astounding result

statsman

So, this was posted by another poster on the Brexit general forum thread, but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

According to the EM/Red Sea poll, 92% want Ireland to remain in the EU, with 7% disagreeing and 1% don't know. This is the first time ever that the figure is over 90%, with the disagrees going from 30% to 7% in just five years. Support for the EU is strongest in Dublin, where it is at 96%

A majority believe that Brexit is a mistake, with respondents evenly split on if it means a united Ireland is more likely (44/44 with 12% unsure).

And a staggering 59% believe that Ireland should be more involved in common EU defence and security positions.

https://www.newstalk.com/Irish-people-in-favour-of-the-EU-goes-over-90-for-the-first-time

Brexit has certainly focused Irish minds on the benefits of membership of the EU, hasn't it?

statsman

Hat tip to Tribal for the original link.

Sync

7% is enough to fight the power . IREXIT IS ON!

Don’t let the 5th reich and their eurofacists tell you otherwise!

hammer

Jaysus if you did a similar poll on p.ie the exit figure would be 80%+

DoomstersRus.com

statsman

I blame Red C's dodgy methodology; that 7% is really 70% when you do it right.

Deadlock

So, this was posted by another poster on the Brexit general forum thread, but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

According to the EM/Red Sea poll, 92% want Ireland to remain in the EU, with 7% disagreeing and 1% don't know. This is the first time ever that the figure is over 90%, with the disagrees going from 30% to 7% in just five years. Support for the EU is strongest in Dublin, where it is at 96%

A majority believe that Brexit is a mistake, with respondents evenly split on if it means a united Ireland is more likely (44/44 with 12% unsure).

And a staggering 59% believe that Ireland should be more involved in common EU defence and security positions.

https://www.newstalk.com/Irish-people-in-favour-of-the-EU-goes-over-90-for-the-first-time

Brexit has certainly focused Irish minds on the benefits of membership of the EU, hasn't it?
Great news indeed. Although to be fair, support for EU membership here to my memory never dipped below high 70%s - low 80%s.

The press in the UK has since picked up on the story, and report

The findings are likely to disappoint British Brexiteers, some of whom have suggested Ireland might follow Britain’s march towards the exit door – and that Irish departure could be a way of solving the border question currently plaguing Brexit talks.
Are there Brexiteers who are not British?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-ireland-population-majority-remain-eu-poll-border-solution-theresa-may-latest-a8340941.html

statsman

Great news indeed. Although to be fair, support for EU membership here to my memory never dipped below high 70%s - low 80%s.

The press in the UK has since picked up on the story, and report

Are there Brexiteers who are not British?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-ireland-population-majority-remain-eu-poll-border-solution-theresa-may-latest-a8340941.html
Well, I want them gone and quickly, the idiots. Does that make me an Irish Brexiteer?

And then, of course, there are the Russians...

CatullusV

The survey, to be fair, a had a plus or minus seventy per cent margin.

Marcos the black

The EU Superstate, those ba$tards.

JimmyFoley

Tbh, it's not that much higher than I would have estimated. It is very high, though. It must be one of the highest in the EU.

I have to say that sometimes I find that many people haven't actually thought very much about *why* they believe membership is such a good thing. Something about "the economy" is about as deep as it goes!

GDPR

Good to see that most people are sensible and can see with their own eyes the benefits of the EU. I would suggest that the Brexit cake and eat it or BS, shambles across the pond, have put lie to some elaborate theories of the nirvana of an Irexit, and hence rising support for the EU. Irexit propenents are desperately spinning that the EU (or Germany) will shaft us and cave into the UK, despite all evidence to the contrary.

statsman

Is this from the same pollsters that show a huge support for Abortion?

Who did they ask again in regards to this poll, the Irish MEP`s?
Idiot. And it's back on Ignore you go.

D

Deleted member 17573

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

wexfordman

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
What liberty have we given up sailor boy ?

Drogheda445

Or, to use that phrase your crowd are so fond of:

“You lost. Get over it.”

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies