• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Latest Bout Of Downtime?

Socratus O' Pericles

I cannot see any explanation or apology for the most recent technical fukk up. I presume there will be none and this site will die off due to lack of interest.

D

Deleted member 17573

Any news?
We struggle on, P.ie is the soul of Irish political social media. Not too hectic over in the ‘other place’ either, error messages, a less than hectic level of poster activity and a few mad mods thrown in for good measure (present company excepted). Not looking too promising at all over there!

Beachcomber

I cannot see any explanation or apology for the most recent technical fukk up. I presume there will be none and this site will die off due to lack of interest.

There has been an ongoing lack of communication on p.ie. This isn't a recent thing. The Twitter and Facebook pages are rarely updated, and emails and PMs to ownership/administration have gone unaddressed for years.

The absentee landlord doesn't seem to care about telling people what is happening. He doesn't even appear to inform the mods about what is happening.

On top of that there either is no current administrator, or the administrator doesn't want to let us know that they exist.

You'd think that someone would bother to give clear communication about what is happening - preferably on a separate thread - but all we seem to get are bits and pieces buried in threads. If one dares to ask a question one is yelled at (or punished) by the mods for not being a mindreader. They seem to think that users should be able to read their minds in order to find out where relevant information has been buried.

Beachcomber

The randomness of this place is one of its charms.
It's like being on a cruise ocean liner where neither the owner or any crew how can actually control the ship (the administrators) are there.

Instead there are just passengers, and members of the crew (moderators) who spend their time enforcing petty rules while the ship just continues on in some unknown direction.

The OD

Keep getting errors all over the place, its certainly site related?

Looks like this place is dying an incredibly slow death. I remember its hayday, from around 2004 - 2012 or thereabouts. Gone seriously downhill since.

Just cannot get into politicalirish and to be fair to the mods, they have made serious attempts to make me feel welcome, but it just isn't here, not sure why I have such a grá for here? Weird.

rainmaker

Administrator

Looks like this place is dying an incredibly slow death. I remember its hayday, from around 2004 - 2012 or thereabouts. Gone seriously downhill since.

Just cannot get into politicalirish and to be fair to the mods, they have made serious attempts to make me feel welcome, but it just isn't here, not sure why I have such a grá for here? Weird.
Hi OD.

We have begun the process of transferring from vBulletin to Xenforo and this should finally resolve almost all tech issues the site has suffered from over the last few years.

The work is scheduled to take place over this coming weekend. Once the migration is complete users may have to reenter/update their password one last time, as the passwords cannot be migrated.

However in the long term the migration does mean that going forward the site will be immeasurably more stable & secure from now on.

Erudite Caveman

The Lisbon Treaty's were probably the zenith of it's relevance in a domestic political context. The involvement of Dave and one or two other is in Libertas's campaign brought it to bubbling point. There were probably 15 threads running at any time with the sort of depth of analysis that you'd only find on the Brexit thread now.

Then two things happened
1) The arse falling out of everyone's notions in 2008-11 and the slow motion car crash effect it has had on a stable post war political scene all over the western world.
2) Technology - mainly mobile

All of a sudden a horde of pissed off politically-semi-literates who were no longer getting richer for no apparent reason was unleashed. The rock throwers came first for 'the bankers' and Fianna Fail. There was no more nuance.

It found a bit of a grove as a quirky sort of place, plenty nutjobs, racists and rock throwers, peppered with the odd thread of quality and threads by CyP about legislating for android sex pets and has been there ever since. Even the outages are sort of in keeping with the vibe.

No more than yourself, I can't explain clearly what I am still doing here.

Socratus O' Pericles

It's like being on a cruise ocean liner where neither the owner or any crew how can actually control the ship (the administrators) are there.

Instead there are just passengers, and members of the crew (moderators) who spend their time enforcing petty rules while the ship just continues on in some unknown direction.
Except it's in space and going to infinity and beyond.

Black Swan

Didn't Monte post on one of the new competing boards? Explaining what had happened.

Or was that just someone pretending to be him?
I wouldn't be surprised.

****************** is a cesspit of right-wing trolls and imposters masquerading as P.ie posters.

All I know for certain about ********************, is that it is run by Cruimh. :)

Herr Rommel

The site is copying political Irish in the lay out. Pity the mods are not as good.

rainmaker

Administrator
The site is copying political Irish in the lay out. Pity the mods are not as good.
That's a particularly stupid comment. The layout is the Xenforo layout, and used by all the millions of other forums using Xenforo - are they all copying that neo Nazi cesspit as well?

Last edited:

Herr Rommel

That's a particularly stupid comment. The layout is the Xenforo layout, and used by all the millions of other forums using Xenforo - are they all copying that neo Nazi cesspit as well?
Open and free discussion is something English people are not to fond of as you have demonstrated on numerous occasions.

rainmaker

Administrator
Open and free discussion is something English people are not to fond of as you have demonstrated on numerous occasions.
Nobody stopped you from saying it. But that also means other users may comment on what you say. Even of it is a particularly stupid claim like the one you made.

Mitsui2

No more than yourself, I can't explain clearly what I am still doing here.
Know exactly what you mean. In my case, logic suggests the only answer has to be some form of masochism, but I'm not going to admit such a thing!

Last edited:

StirCharles

What do you mean, the mods are decent here, who do you believe is anything to write home about elsewhere?