• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The law is an ass, again, as paedophile goes free.

bagel

Surely to God this must be the pits.
A self-confessed paedophile is granted bail by the sentencing judge to appeal against the same judge's extremely lenient sentence.
You couldn't make it up.
Judge Carney imposed a custodial sentence and at the same time granted bail and leave to appeal against the severity of the sentence, in effect inferring to the Court of Criminal Appeal that he erred in his sentencing.
What a total and utter waste and abuse of the judicial system and judges discretion.
This flies in the face of all human decency.
What a betrayal of the traumatised victim who was raped by this vile creature for a ten year period commencing when she was just first holy communion age.
Bail should never be considered in appeals against severity, especially when a guilty plea is on record.
Its wrong, no ifs or buts about it, just wrong.

(The victim) said: “He raped me for 10 years and he just walks out of here today. I just can’t believe that this has happened. Last week I felt great. I was vindicated. For him to walk out of here today without serving one day is just devastating.”
Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0121/breaking39.html

Last edited:

Bea C

I just heard that on the 4 news, it seems, a tad, er, to put it euphemistically, 'bizarre'?

ShoutingIsLeadership

As I understand it, the judge felt that the ill-health of the convicted was such that a custodial sentence was inappropriate. However, the judge did not want to see headlines saying 'suspended sentence', etc...., so instead he gave him 12 years for his crime, suspended the last 9 and released him on bail, pending an appeal by the convicted.

Armchair Activist

They set the rates, they set the rules. You know who they are.

Sync

:roll: -1
If you ignore him he may just disappear under an avalanche of tinfoil.

Can't understand why anyone who is give a custodial sentence is released to appeal. You can appeal from prison.

bagel

As I understand it, the judge felt that the ill-health of the convicted was such that a custodial sentence was inappropriate. However, the judge did not want to see headlines saying 'suspended sentence', etc...., so instead he gave him 12 years for his crime, suspended the last 9 and released him on bail, pending an appeal by the convicted.
My understanding of it is different.
I may have mistakenly assumed that Judge Carney had imposed the sentence at an earlier date and has now been undermined by another judge granting bail.
If i'm wrong then i apologise for misleading and i'll amend the opening post accordingly when i obtain clarity.

OP corrected as appropriate

Last edited:

Analyzer

Why such negativity ?

The Law in this country provides maximum possible income for lawyers.

The rest of the population needs to get with the program and stop complaining.

The more peados, the more crime, the more corruption, the better for the lega profession.

This activity all provides a stimulus for the legal profession, therefore it must be actively encouraged.

ShoutingIsLeadership

My understanding of it is different.
I may have mistakenly assumed that Judge Carney had imposed the sentence at an earlier date and has now been undermined by another judge granting bail.
If i'm wrong then i apologise for misleading and i'll amend the opening post accordingly when i obtain clarity.
Some more detail in this article; the daughter is far from happy.

Mr Justice Paul Carney branded these "heinous crimes", and said it was one of the worst cases of abuse of a daughter one can possibly find.

However he gave consideration to the serious ill health of the accused and suspended most of the sentence.

He said that it was a case fit for an appeal and that such a hearing should be expedited, releasing O'Brien on bail.
Daughter 'devastated' after rapist father released on bail | Breaking News News - eircom.net

Incidentally, there is no need to apologise.

borntorum

If you ignore him he may just disappear under an avalanche of tinfoil.

Can't understand why anyone who is give a custodial sentence is released to appeal. You can appeal from prison.
It's very unusual to release someone pending an appeal (other than from the District Court). I don't know anything about this case other than what I read on the internet, but it seems that the judge felt his ill-health was such that he should be freed

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
What else do you expect from Paul Carney?

As a Senior Counsel he once had a consultation with a client the same day he was slated to prosecute a rapist in court. The case was thrown out.

He also wrote a pompous letter to the courts service claiming he would not sit on any cases unless they fixed the heating in his chambers.

Last edited:

ottovonbismarck

Let's hope that the old man gets a painful and enduring death.

Shame on Paul carney. He shouldn't be worrying about headlines. If he is, then is he fit for the job? Is his independence being eroded?

sicktodeath

Twitter
sorry, not my thing.
maybe not the "ass" word here ..... In my world all convicted sex offenders would have their noses dyed a bright luminous blue, "beware the blue nose"

A self-confessed paedophile appeals against an extremely lenient sentence and gets bail.
How the fup did he get leave to appeal in the first place?
Assuming everything was above board in that regard, then how the hell did he get bail when he's already plead guilty to the horrific crimes?
What a kick in the ass for the trial judge whose excessive leniency has been thrown back in his face, not by the victim or the public but instead by the vile creature who raped his daughter for a ten year period commencing when she was just first holy communion age.
Bail should never be considered in appeals against severity when the crime is of such a cruel and violent nature.
Whoever his brief is, his/her stock just rocketed upwards in the opinion of criminals and i'm sure will be in great demand from now on.

Truth.ie

There's simply not enough cell space for every paedo in society.
It's time the State (if they can't jail them) to bring in chemical castration.

This is totally legal within the E.U and is already available in Britain and Germany so this is not a troll.
A lot of convicted pedos actually ask for the castration as they know they will re-offend.
Jail time could be shortened in return for acceptance of C.C.
Chemical castration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

carruthers

A self-confessed paedophile appeals against an extremely lenient sentence and gets bail.
How the fup did he get leave to appeal in the first place?
Assuming everything was above board in that regard, then how the hell did he get bail when he's already plead guilty to the horrific crimes?
What a kick in the ass for the trial judge whose excessive leniency has been thrown back in his face, not by the victim or the public but instead by the vile creature who raped his daughter for a ten year period commencing when she was just first holy communion age.
Bail should never be considered in appeals against severity when the crime is of such a cruel and violent nature.
Whoever his brief is, his/her stock just rocketed upwards in the opinion of criminals and i'm sure will be in great demand from now on.

Father freed in 'one of worst cases of abuse of a daughter' - Courts, National News - Independent.ie
The only thing that surprises me about this, is the fact that anyone is in fact surprised by it. Until the Judiciary and parole boards are in some way held accountable for the criminals they (re) inflict upon us then it will not change.
If you're a rapist/burglar etc on bail pending appeal/sentencing and figure you're going to get time then why not go off and re offend when your sentence will run concurrently anyway?

Flimflam

With sham judgements like this you'd really be better off taking the law into your own hands and then facing the courts as the accused instead of being the victim. You can then just say you were drunk/drugged at the time, you have an ongoing medical condition, whatever sob story you like really, and you'll get off with a suspended sentence and maybe a fine as well if you're really unlucky.

ScreeOrTalus

There's simply not enough cell space for every paedo in society.
It's time the State (if they can't jail them) to bring in chemical castration.

This is totally legal within the E.U and is already available in Britain and Germany so this is not a troll.
A lot of convicted pedos actually ask for the castration as they know they will re-offend.
Jail time could be shortened in return for acceptance of C.C.
Chemical castration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/182457-ireland-should-adopt-method-punishment-2.html#post4977797

There is some evidence that castrated paedophiles can use blunt (or sharp) objects as a "penis substitute" during violent assaults.

There are some things we'd rather not know.

Popular Threads

Most Replies