The Leaving Cert 2018

GDPR

Hello all,

So today we had the start of the Leaving Certificate, which is the last exams in the secondary school before Irish students go into University. Also for me, it's the first offical school or government exam I have done since I was 12. My school life was interupted due to the war in Syria, before I had been studying in the International school in Aleppo, so the subjects were taught through English. My school years were interupted as my home area in East Aleppo was partly under control of the Free Syrian Army and then afterwards by various other groups. The school courses in the local school were not as good as the international school an eventually when we left Aleppo in 2014, I missed about 6 months of regular school before joining a field school in Lebanon for nearly 2 1/2 year.

So I was very excited to be in Ireland and have the chance to do some exams and even more fortunate that I have been offered a schoolarship under the refugee programme to attend university.

Today we had English Paper 1, the exam is here on the link https://www.examinations.ie/tmp/1528287606_3168209.pdf

Paper 1 is more creative, because you have to form your own opinions on the texts that they provide and then to create your own piece of writing. English Paper 2, is almost like a memory test. My teacher gave me answers on the literature to learn and then write on the day of the exam. Everyone in my class in using the same stratey. Today though was tough, it's a challenge to write and think of the answers and then come home and study again especially during Ramadan.

Have anyone on Politics.ie got children doing the exams at the moment?

Hope to hear your thoughts.

Yazmina :)

Volatire

Hello all,

So today we had the start of the Leaving Certificate, which is the last exams in the secondary school before Irish students go into University. Also for me, it's the first offical school or government exam I have done since I was 12. My school life was interupted due to the war in Syria, before I had been studying in the International school in Aleppo, so the subjects were taught through English. My school years were interupted as my home area in East Aleppo was partly under control of the Free Syrian Army and then afterwards by various other groups. The school courses in the local school were not as good as the international school an eventually when we left Aleppo in 2014, I missed about 6 months of regular school before joining a field school in Lebanon for nearly 2 1/2 year.

So I was very excited to be in Ireland and have the chance to do some exams and even more fortunate that I have been offered a schoolarship under the refugee programme to attend university.

Today we had English Paper 1, the exam is here on the link https://www.examinations.ie/tmp/1528287606_3168209.pdf

Paper 1 is more creative, because you have to form your own opinions on the texts that they provide and then to create your own piece of writing. English Paper 2, is almost like a memory test. My teacher gave me answers on the literature to learn and then write on the day of the exam. Everyone in my class in using the same stratey. Today though was tough, it's a challenge to write and think of the answers and then come home and study again especially during Ramadan.

Your English is far better than most who post here.

It seems to me that Ramadan is not a big deal during an Irish winter when the sun hardly comes up anyway. However, at this time of year it is a very big deal.

Surely LC students can be excused from fasting during examinations?

Good luck!

Nemesiscorporation

Hello all,

Good luck in your exams. Hope you do well.

JimmyFoley

Hello all,

Good luck in the exams.

What was your first language, growing up?

silverharp

Fasted activities are fine, you can feel more energetic, however I think the water fasting is mad if you are doing that, you are just making things more difficult for yourself.

gatsbygirl20

Hello all,

Congrats on making it so far. Your English is perfect

Just a point about Paper 2.. I have corrected this paper, and the marking scheme instructs those correcting to severely penalise candidates who have obviously learned off wodges of material which do not quite match the tone, style or content of other sections of the paper. Your class will be corrected all together and any obvous similarity in your answers will also be penalised.

So try to take an original approach, while obviously building on what you have gleaned from your teacher's notes

Also, be alert to any "sting in the tail" in a question. Address every point raised in the question. Answer every single thing you are asked, and only what you are asked. You will not get marks for anything else, no matter how true it is, or how valuable in another context

Yes, it is difficult when Ramadan falls during exams.

You have achieved a lot in your life so far. I am sure you will do well.

The very best of luck to you.

GDPR

Your English is far better than most who post here.

It seems to me that Ramadan is not a big deal during an Irish winter when the sun hardly comes up anyway. However, at this time of year it is a very big deal.

Surely LC students can be excused from fasting during examinations?

Good luck!
Thanks, for long posts I use MS word to help. For certain instances the fasting can be excused and days can be added on at the end. But not for me, I can keep the fast and still study. Sleep is the important thing.

GDPR

Congrats on making it so far. Your English is perfect

Just a point about Paper 2.. I have corrected this paper, and the marking scheme instructs those correcting to severely penalise candidates who have obviously learned off wodges of material which do not quite match the tone, style or content of other sections of the paper. Your class will be corrected all together and any obvous similarity in your answers will also be penalised.

So try to take an original approach, while obviously building on what you have gleaned from your teacher's notes

Also, be alert to any "sting in the tail" in a question. Address every point raised in the question. Answer every single thing you are asked, and only what you are asked. You will not get marks for anything else, no matter how true it is, or how valuable in another context

Yes, it is difficult when Ramadan falls during exams.

You have achieved a lot in your life so far. I am sure you will do well.

The very best of luck to you.
For me it was strange for the teacher to say that. He says that there are answers that the corrector wants to hear, and so he had given us printed off answers to questions which he said got the maximum marks in either a Mock exam or an exam in one of the previous year.

He said too, that if you go off and give your own theory on a theme or subject, the corrector can interpret that as the student not having understood fully the text.

cozzy121

Holy jebus you can pull out the papers on a year by year basis on this site.

I've just had a bad flashback on that Home Ec question on Fluoride in water..

https://www.examinations.ie/exammaterialarchive/?i=115.120.111.100.99

Edit it's only to 1995 and only Art, English, French, German

2nd edit.
I've just compared the English paper 1 in 1995 to English paper 1 in 2018 (yes it's there all ready!)
and it struck me on how much more reading there is in the 2018 paper.
The 2018 exam is 20mins longer but I'd say time management must be crucial to get all questions answered properly..

Last edited:

cozzy121

For me it was strange for the teacher to say that. He says that there are answers that the corrector wants to hear, and so he had given us printed off answers to questions which he said got the maximum marks in either a Mock exam or an exam in one of the previous year.

He said too, that if you go off and give your own theory on a theme or subject, the corrector can interpret that as the student not having understood fully the text.
Only advice I can offer is once the exam is over - FORGET ABOUT IT - focus on the next one, you can talk about them with your classmates on the day of the results.

troll account

Hello all,

im calling bullsh1t on this you are fooling nobody you open borders gobshyte

JimmyFoley

Only advice I can offer is once the exam is over - FORGET ABOUT IT - focus on the next one, you can talk about them with your classmates on the day of the results.
Nah, hang around afterwards to participate in the bìtching and spreading of the conspiracy theories. That's a vital part of the process.

indy

English Paper 2, is almost like a memory test. My teacher gave me answers on the literature to learn and then write on the day of the exam.
Can you please cut and paste the answers you were provided so that we can see how closely they matched the questions that were asked today. This is a great case study in the feasibility of the so-called "rote learning" approach to the LC. Thanks

silverharp

thinking back we never learned off anything for English, I didn't do history but it was the only subject that I heard people going on about having essays learned off.

Maybe the teacher advising this lad is just trying to give them a formula to get them through with reasonable grades. Hopefully its not a strategy for A & B students?

dizillusioned

I've just had a bad flashback on that Home Ec question on Fluoride in water.
Jaysus you did Home EC??? Oh my word!! We just lived it and continue to do so today...;)

Best of luck to Yazmina doing his exams, have niece and nephew doing it ... hear the weather is lovely... oh well rain for the rest of the year..;)

Vega1447

So Yazmina, did you do Home Economics this afternoon?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies