The legalisation of CBD (cannabis oil) for the treatment of seizures - why the delay?

Reasunach

Irish boy, 3, with rare form of epilepsy is cured of horror seizures after using CANNABIS in the US

This woman has been campaiging for a cannabis based drug to be available in Ireland for the treatment of her son's seizures. So far she has been told that the reason it is not available is because cannabis is illegal in Ireland. Can somebody please explain how an opiate based drug like morphine can be "legal" when there are so may addicted to heroin (an opiate), and a cannabis based drug like cbd oil is not, even though heroin is much more of a scourge on scoiety than hash (a cannabis based drug)? Is it just down to the mega powerful pharmaceutical companies? They'll be the ones enjoying the profits. :-(

EoinMag

This will change soon.

The USA was driving this policy through the UN, I think this should change now that the US is heading for federal legalisation and even recreationally.
That is just around the corner as said due to the US attitude changing and the feds will need to follow suit, there's big money in this business and legalisation is the only sensible way to go.

CBD won't even get you high, it actually suppresses the action of THC which is the ingredient which gets you stoned, so yeah it's archaic and needs to change as soon as possible.

This is also pretty amazing and makes a case for full legalistion also, even though in this case THC is the active ingredient helping this lady.

[video=youtube;r-n5LzipfBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-n5LzipfBE[/video]

[video=youtube;j6QkVTx2d88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6QkVTx2d88[/video]

'orebel

'orebel

This will change soon.

The USA was driving this policy through the UN, I think this should change now that the US is heading for federal legalisation and even recreationally.
That is just around the corner as said due to the US attitude changing and the feds will need to follow suit, there's big money in this business and legalisation is the only sensible way to go.

CBD won't even get you high, it actually suppresses the action of THC which is the ingredient which gets you stoned, so yeah it's archaic and needs to change as soon as possible.

This is also pretty amazing and makes a case for full legalistion also, even though in this case THC is the active ingredient helping this lady.
Might not change soon enough for some kids with dravits and similar

EoinMag

Might not change soon enough for some kids with dravits and similar
That is true, it's unfortunate that an outdated ban from the 20's is still being taken seriously.

On a worse issue, the Midwest USA was letting people run wild with Meth whilst the beaks were still discussing weed as the biggest drug threat to the USA......

'orebel

Eire1976

The delay is easy, big Pharma is looking for a way to do the same thing but dearer.

EoinMag

The delay is easy, big Pharma is looking for a way to do the same thing but dearer.
not at this stage, it's the UN and law enforcement.

Johnny

I use CBD oil regularly and it can be bought over the counter in Dublin city centre, as I'm sure it can elsewhere. Is the OP talking about the legalisation of medicinal marijuana?

As an aside, CBD is a lifechanging medicine. Incredible stuff.

'orebel

I use CBD oil regularly and it can be bought over the counter in Dublin city centre, as I'm sure it can elsewhere. Is the OP talking about the legalisation of medicinal marijuana?

Varying amounts of THC required in the CBD to treat different conditions. What's available over the counter has negligible amounts afaia.

Reasunach

No I'm talking about CBD. I'm amazed you can buy it in Dublin OTC, as technically it is illegal. Otherwise people wouldn't have to go to America to avail of it.

Johnny

Varying amounts of THC required in the CBD to treat different conditions. What's available over the counter has negligible amounts afaia.
CBD and THC are completely different cannaboids, the former being 100% non-physocactive. That's the beauty of CBD - you get all the health benefits of marijuana without the THC high.

Reasunach

CBD and THC are completely different cannaboids, the former being 100% non-physocactive. That's the beauty of CBD - you get all the health benefits of marijuana without the THC high.
Maybe you could let the families of the kids affected know where they can procure it - once it is legal of course, I wouldn't want to call this site into disrepute or recommend any illegal activity. AFAIK you can't buy CBD legally here, but if I'm mistaken I stand corrected.

Johnny

My post that linked where you can buy it has just been deleted.......

redacted

This will change soon.

[video=youtube;r-n5LzipfBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-n5LzipfBE[/video]

[video=youtube;j6QkVTx2d88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6QkVTx2d88[/video]
This is absolutely the truth. Due to how the UN convention on drugs was rammed through and used by the US it was always inevitable that change would only come once the US realized that the war on drugs was damaging and unwinnable. The process of change is well underway and I'd be reasonably confident that the use of cannabis at least will be normalized within the next 2 to 3 decades.

I'm so convinced of this that I've been spending at least 30% of my income on purchasing shares in Cadburys! :)

*EPIC SUCCESS*

not at this stage, it's the UN and law enforcement.
Because the UN is a paragon of transparency, virtue and honest that wouldn't be beholden to anyone but the best interests of the citizens of the planet, yeah.

:lol:

My post that linked where you can buy it has just been deleted.......
Ridiculous if that is the case, we are not talking about crack cocaine or crystal meth for heavens sake.

ruserious

Not at all privy to this debate or topic really but can someone with no ailments take non THC cannabis medicine for recreational purposes and feel relaxed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies