The lights go off for Graham.

Mushroom

A baffling story in yesterday's IT:-

"Man dismissed by ESB considered security risk to national infrastructure"

Graham Light (36) secures temporary High Court order preventing termination of his job.

"An ESB employee who was dismissed after being told he was considered a security risk to Irish and UK infrastructure has secured a temporary High Court order preventing termination of his employment.
Graham Light said he was shocked and upset after being fired from his role as Commercial and Risk Advisor with the ESB’s corporate team on October 11th last."

The opportunities for bad puns from this story are legion, so I'll start the ball rolling by asking whether any member of p.ie's well-informed 'opinionati' can throw any light on what's going on here?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-dismissed-by-esb-considered-security-risk-to-national-infrastructure-1.3263394

Last edited:

automaticforthepeople

A baffling story in the IT this morning:-

"Man dismissed by ESB considered security risk to national infrastructure"

Graham Light (36) secures temporary High Court order preventing termination of his job.

"An ESB employee who was dismissed after being told he was considered a security risk to Irish and UK infrastructure has secured a temporary High Court order preventing termination of his employment.
Graham Light said he was shocked and upset after being fired from his role as Commercial and Risk Advisor with the ESB’s corporate team on October 11th last."

The opportunities for bad puns from this story are legion, so I'll start the ball rolling by asking whether any member of p.ie's well-informed 'opinionati' can throw any light on what's going on here?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-dismissed-by-esb-considered-security-risk-to-national-infrastructure-1.3263394
Aren't you the bright spark?

amsterdemmetje

I read that yesterday and by all accounts the full story is not being told .
Having said that as is the wont of Irish management these days they have went about everything arseways ,leaving themselves wide open to litigation .The manner in which they have gone about trying to get rid of this man is bizarre to say the least, the Judge said that from the little evidence he saw it was "draconian".

The Field Marshal

The ESB will have to provide the grounds for dismissal to the court and the court will have to be satisfied.
If these grounds are confidential what does this say about justice being seen to be done?

Mushroom

the Judge said that from the little evidence she saw it was "draconian".

Yes, but give that it was an "ex parte" application, it's unlikely that the judge saw any evidence from the "parte" that wasn't in court.

PS the judge was a "she".

The_SR

An 'external security team' advised them the Gardai suspected x and y.

On the Gardai behalf?

Very odd

The Field Marshal

An 'external security team' advised them the Gardai suspected x and y.

On the Gardai behalf?

Very odd
The ESB will have to justify their action fully to the court.
What's interesting is will the evidence on which the ESB is relying be made public.

If it's not then Ireland will have entered the star chamber era of justice.

amsterdemmetje

Regardless of that it's badly handled as per usual, it's not as if these people don't know how hard it is to sack anyone in this country ,regardless of what sector they work in.No matter how much evidence you have of misconduct you must handle the potential dismissal procedure in a proper fashion .You might get the judgement you seek but you will still pay some compo ,not that the ESB would be worried about that compared to a small family company or the like. .

Mushroom

I hope Mr Light sues the ESB to the hilt If the info provided is utter BS.
And, you being a balanced sort of guy (i.e. someone with a chip on each shoulder) presumably you also hope that his dismissal is upheld with costs being awarded against him if his former employer can prove what it has alleged, to the court's satisfaction?

Henry94.

If there is a security risk but not enough to make an arrest then they have to justify it to some external review but I’d suspend judgement until that process was completed. I don’t need to see the evidence but a judge must see it.

firefly123

There are positives and negatives to this story.
This has the potential to transform the employment system.

devoutcapitalist

And, you being a balanced sort of guy (i.e. someone with a chip on each shoulder) presumably you also hope that his dismissal is upheld with costs being awarded against him if his former employer can prove what it has alleged, to the court's satisfaction?
Yes the dismissal should be upheld If the info provided was accurate, however the ESB still stand to be sued as they didn't go through proper procedures.

Why wasn't he suspended on full pay first?

Mushroom

The Field Marshal

If there is a security risk but not enough to make an arrest then they have to justify it to some external review but I’d suspend judgement until that process was completed. I don’t need to see the evidence but a judge must see it.
Suppose the judge upholds the dismissal but refuses to publicise the evidence we then have a star chamber state operated judicial system that can fire people from their jobs on the basis of what a judge thinks and we would never know the actual reasons or facts.

The Field Marshal

There are positives and negatives to this story.
This has the potential to transform the employment system.
At the moment the only parallel is the conviction for IRA membership on the word of. Garda supt.
The court must accept that.
My understanding is that any other evidence in a case must be made public.
Interesting legal times ahead for our paranoid society.

Vega1447

Suppose the judge upholds the dismissal but refuses to publicise the evidence we then have a star chamber state operated judicial system that can fire people from their jobs on the basis of what a judge thinks and we would never know the actual reasons or facts.
Mr Light can appeal the HC decision if he wishes.

The Field Marshal

Mr Light can appeal the HC decision if he wishes.
Indeed.
But what I want to know is are we entering an era where judges decide who gets fired and the public never know the evidence that supported the decision.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies