• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Limerick pogrom of 1935?

JohnD66

Interesting article by Brian Hanley here about a riot in his native Limerick city in 1935.

A Limerick riot | The Irish Story

Many people will have heard about the 'Limerick pogrom' of 1904 when a mob attacked Jewish residents.

But I didn't previously know that in 1935 in response to fierce rioting in Belfast that left 11 people dead, another mob went on the rampage, attacking Protestant homes and businesses in Limerick city. The Irish Army had to be called out to aid the Gardai before order was restored.

Worth a read.

Last edited:

Lain2016

Get the crap about the Irish army in their "German style helmets". The German helmets are a better style as they protect the back of the neck.
So how many were killed in this "pogrom"? Were any Cossacks involved?

History of the Helmet:

When the process of selecting a suitable helmet began, it would prove to be one that years later would provide the collector with a story whose history was not only rooted in the struggle for Irish freedom, but also deeply entwined within the greater world-wide conflict of 1914-18. Still bearing a slight dislike for items of British origin, the tin hats of British design were not at the top of the Free State’s list when it came to choosing a helmet. The French Adrian design was tried and found to be unsatisfactory. Finally, the German M16 design was settled upon and the German Counsel approached. However, because of the provisions in the Treaty of Versailles the Germans were forbidden from exporting military materials including helmets.
So, it was back to the Brits, who just happened to find themselves in possession of surplus German helmet manufacturing machinery and, who would be willing to contract for manufacture, (through the auspices of Vickers, Ltd.), of the German Model 1916 style helmets for the Irish Free State government.[2] Thus, the circle seemed complete, and as we shall see in the following evaluation with some interesting results. A total of 10,021 helmets were made for an Irish Free State standing army of 10,000.
But here's the interesting bit :shock:

Intentionally or otherwise, the helmets were made with an inferior quality material. Anyone handling a standard German or Austrian helmet of the Great War period, then handling a Model 27 will easily recognize the difference in weight and feel. The stress lines along the front of the helmet are prominent, and many cracked and became unserviceable during their period of use. One must wonder about motivation, as it had been only a brief period of time since the last British troops left the island. Stranger yet, one must wonder why the Irish Free State was willing to take delivery of helmets that did not standards. Although a review of the army’s history reveals a great deal of controversy over the organization. Funding was also a problem during the period.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~masullivan/vickers/Irish_Helmet.htm

JohnD66

Get the crap about the Irish army in their "German style helmets". The German helmets are a better style as they protect the back of the neck.
In fairness no significance was meant by 'German style' helmets, the caption was just identifying the troops.

And re 'pogrom', of course it wasn't I was just being provocative since the name is popularly linked to the anti-Jewish riots in Limerick.

The Jewish pogrom was in 1904
Noted but there were also riots there in 1912.

http://storify.com/Limerick1912/limerick-riots-october-1912

Last edited:

former wesleyan

Interesting article by Brian Hanley here about a riot in his native Limerick city in 1935.

A Limerick riot | The Irish Story

Many people will have heard about the 'Limerick pogrom' of 1904 when a mob attacked Jewish residents.

But I didn't previously know that in 1935 in response to fierce rioting in Belfast that left 11 people dead, another mob went on the rampage, attacking Protestant homes and businesses in Limerick city. The Irish Army had to be called out to aid the Gardai before order was restored.

Worth a read.
Further to the riots:-

Inspector to magistrate:

" .....we have no objection to bail.....except in the case of McNally. His name is in fact not McNally at all, neither is he a Limerick man or a Catholic. We have information to the effect that his real name is David Gettis and that he is a native of Belfast. I strongly oppose bail in his case ......"

Limerick Leader July 27, 1935.

Turns out McNally / Gettis was a young Borstal boy from Belfast who worked with touring shows around Ireland. Why he pretended to be a Catholic was never cleared up. He got 3 months.

Worth noting that more Protestants than Catholics were killed in the Belfast rioting that supposedly sparked the Limerick riots.

Boy M5

The "German" helmets were manufactured in England by the famous arms company Vickers.

Oops Lain beat me to it.

Schomberg

My Dad actually has one of those German Styled FS helmets. Quality of it, compared to German manufactured WWI helmets of the same style is pretty bad. Not sure I'd like to have had it in a fight.

Good article. The attempts to burn down churches adds an even more sinister dimension to it. Any idea of the numbers involved?

we won’t ,’let a Protestant house standing’.
Crikey! Limericks not really changed much in terms of charm has it? petunia

cricket

My Dad actually has one of those German Styled FS helmets. Quality of it, compared to German manufactured WWI helmets of the same style is pretty bad. Not sure I'd like to have had it in a fight.

Good article. The attempts to burn down churches adds an even more sinister dimension to it. Any idea of the numbers involved?

Crikey! Limericks not really changed much in terms of charm has it? petunia
You're right there. Remember reading some of the religious motivated activities of Seán South in later years. Can't remember details now but it was frightening stuff.

former wesleyan

You're right there. Remember reading some of the religious motivated activities of Seán South in later years. Can't remember details now but it was frightening stuff.
Limerick SF sweep this under the carpet during their annual commemorations. Mind you festivities are organised by Joe Higgins...he who warned of a pogrom against Limerick Catholics when he spotted a Red Hand grafitti ! :D

cricket

Limerick SF sweep this under the carpet during their annual commemorations. Mind you festivities are organised by Joe Higgins...he who warned of a pogrom against Limerick Catholics when he spotted a Red Hand grafitti ! :D
Don't know what that's about.

Eire1976

Very understandanble that the good people of Limerick would be upset with the treatment of their fellow citizens by the Orange miscreants (my new favourite term) of Belfast.

Little_Korean

Very understandanble that the good people of Limerick would be upset with the treatment of their fellow citizens by the Orange miscreants (my new favourite term) of Belfast.
And their fellow citizens in Limerick, not to mention neighbours, not apply?

former wesleyan

And not to mention that the Belfast Riots of 1935 were about Catholics killing Protestants and not the other way around.

Eire1976

There was always a small hardcore of loyalists in Limericak as there was and still is in Cork which remains hidden. These are the people they were more than likely striking at.

But most people would prefer croppy lie down appraoch

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
Makes no sense, at all. That's like saying Kingsmill was understandable because it was a response to the killing of 5 innocent Catholics by loyalists Reavey and O'Dowd killings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There was no justification for the OP. It was a terrible act and one that should be denounced by all.

Eire1976

Makes no sense, at all. That's like saying Kingsmill was understandable because it was a response to the killing of 5 innocent Catholics by loyalists Reavey and O'Dowd killings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There was no justification for the OP. It was a terrible act and one that should be denounced by all.
I don't agree with it, but I understand it in the context of the time. The Country at the time was a powder keg of sectarianism.

I'm surprised that there wasn't much more issues throughout the whole Country.

JohnD66

And not to mention that the Belfast Riots of 1935 were about Catholics killing Protestants and not the other way around.
While I've no in depth knowledge of the 1935 riots in Belfast, I strongly doubt the casualties were one-sided. And as the article states, over 80% of the 2,000 people expelled from their homes were Catholics.

It's most unwise to try to pick the good side in sectarian rioting as a rule.