The long term impact of Covid-19

Marcos the black

While we are still working through the actual virus itself, it seems very clear that this event is a game changer in a number of areas. In many respects life will return to "normal" but it will be a slightly different normal than the one we've known.
BC and AC (before/after Corona virus) will become a "thing" as people assess the impact that this is having.
Some areas that I can see being affected are:

Culture and community: I never thought I'd see a time when there are ads on the TV telling us to not shake hands with people when we meet. There is evidence to suggest that countries where kissing as a greeting are impacted more by this virus, attending funerals, religious ceremonies and even sporting events will all have a shadow cast over them for a long time. Will, for example, shaking hands as a greeting become a thing of the past? In 6 months time when we're all (hopefully) out of this, will you offer your hand as greeting in a meeting? Will the person your offering it to accept it?

International travel: Will we all be holidaying at home far more? As businesses become more virtual in terms of travel, there will be far less traveling for business reasons, so less demand for flights and accommodation, meaning many hotels, airlines will go out of business and the ones that remain will likely become more expensive... Therefore the "popping over to NYC for the Christmas shopping" is something that is over.

A United Ireland: like Brexit this may lead to an United Ireland, or at least hasten it, as it's becoming crystal clear that as an island nation we would be in a far better position to combat the spread of viruses as one entity rather than two. We can see for example the difficulty in relation to closing schools as the two parts of the island has different policies. We are also seeing calls for govt supports to include the living in the North but working in the South. It is very hard to argue the rationale of 2 different countries on an island in terms of the prevention, treatment and recovery of a pandemic.

The Environment:

When we look back on this, and we can quantity the impact on the environment will we, as a society demand more sustainable solutions?

Business: again linked to travel, many businesses are now discovering remote working as a means of doing business. The need/ability to travel to meetings both nationally and internationally is being replaced by Zoom/Google Hangouts/Skype etc.. so will companies be willing to continue to spend money and time on international meetings and conferences? A trip to NYC for "an important business meeting" could impact 3 days work and cost quite a bit between accommodation and travel.. now why not just do a Zoom meeting instead?
Will companies still want to build offices for 500+ people when the vast majority in customer support can work remotely. Why build, equip, maintain, run an office for 500, when hotdesking will do and people can be as productive by working from home?

Urbanisation: If larger companies adopt a remote working environment will paying big money for a small house in a city still make sense? The value of having a garden has just sky rocketed, or so it seems to me from talking to parents living in apartments. Will social distancing lead to less demand for high density living?

There are other areas too that will be impacted and some may not even be apparent yet.
So you think the above is a fair reflection of possible long term impacts.. or do you disagree? What other areas can you see being changed as a result of this pandemic?
May be there will be none? Maybe this will all be forgotten in 2021 and life will just take off where we left it.

Patslatt1

MAGIC BULLET TEST
The speed and simplicity of the Mologic test if it works out would be a magic bullet against the virus. It would allow people to return to work with a high level of confidence in the safety of workplaces. Another fast test by Robert Bosch company can be done in existing Bosch equipment in hospitals with results available in two hours but the test requirement for skilled technicians slows rollouts.
See Mologic and partners begin validation process for COVID-19 point-of-need diagnostic test - Mologic
Quote from link:
Following rapid assessments in the UK, the technology will be shipped to global validation partners including the Institut Pasteur de Dakar in Senegal, La Jolla Institute for Immunology in the United States...

shiel

Will the corona virus crisis affect the Brexit negotiations?

Marcos the black

Will the corona virus crisis affect the Brexit negotiations?
I would think so.. will Brexit be cancelled? The UK will be in its knees after the virus rips through it... They won't be able to survive both.

Marcos the black

Will the EU be any better?
I think it probably will. It's got deeper pockets want can spread the pan add it were.. the UK has to get through this... Which they didn't take seriously until last week, and then go it alone without the EU...big ask...

shiel

I think it probably will. It's got deeper pockets want can spread the pan add it were.. the UK has to get through this... Which they didn't take seriously until last week, and then go it alone without the EU...big ask...
I have to say that this corona crisis has frightened me.

The consequences on a personal and wider level are not easy to even pretend to come to terms with or explain.

between the bridges

How long will newspapers especially local ones last?...

The coronavirus crisis has piled more pressure on the local newspaper industry.

Many papers were already struggling to cope as print readerships fell along with advertising revenue.

But with people now unable to leave home to buy a paper, revenue has been hit even further.

Marcos the black

How long will newspapers especially local ones last?...

The coronavirus crisis has piled more pressure on the local newspaper industry.

Many papers were already struggling to cope as print readerships fell along with advertising revenue.

But with people now unable to leave home to buy a paper, revenue has been hit even further.

My local one, the Tpperary Star closed last week. Laid everyone off. They say the plan to reopen in 6 weeks.... but it's harder to get back going than it is to shut down.
I'm also hearing of a number of local radio stations that are in trouble. No one is advertising. No sports news etc.. Difficult times

Marcos the black

I have to say that this corona crisis has frightened me.

The consequences on a personal and wider level are not easy to even pretend to come to terms with or explain.
It's a game changer alright. As I said in my OP it will bring long term and sweeping changes to how we live.. but not all are bad.. with the "tens of thousands" who it saved due to better air quality it will be interesting to see the net effect on mortaility rates in 2020 when this is all over.. not to mention it will probably make us more sustainable into the future as well/
Locally there isn't a vegtable seed to be got and people are starting to grow their own, etc... so it's not all bad.. And a cure will be found.. but what unsettles me the most is that if this happened once.. it could happen again.

D

Deleted member 57056

I would think so.. will Brexit be cancelled? The UK will be in its knees after the virus rips through it... They won't be able to survive both.
The UK can print money to weather the crisis.

The RoI can’t.

You are anticipating the Germans bailing you and all the other bankrupt EU states out again. I don’t think that’s going to happen. The EU will break up and go their separate ways agenda this is over.

The yanks will be returning industries to America and your money laundering for big business is dead in the water.

Good luck with paying for a UI in those circumstances.

Marcos the black

The UK can print money to weather the crisis.

The RoI can’t.

You are anticipating the Germans bailing you and all the other bankrupt EU states out again. I don’t think that’s going to happen. The EU will break up and go their separate ways agenda this is over.

The yanks will be returning industries to America and your money laundering for big business is dead in the water.

Good luck with paying for a UI in those circumstances.
Can you give a time frame for this happening?
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 57056

Can you give a time frame for this happening?
Thanks.
No idea.

I can’t see this ending anytime soon.

Self isolating is certainly slowing the rate of infection and allowing time to prepare for what’s coming, but this could take a few years, never mind months to be eradicated.

A vaccine is a game changer of course.

It's a game changer alright. As I said in my OP it will bring long term and sweeping changes to how we live.. but not all are bad.. with the "tens of thousands" who it saved due to better air quality it will be interesting to see the net effect on mortaility rates in 2020 when this is all over.. not to mention it will probably make us more sustainable into the future as well/
Locally there isn't a vegtable seed to be got and people are starting to grow their own, etc... so it's not all bad.. And a cure will be found.. but what unsettles me the most is that if this happened once.. it could happen again.

Marcos the black

No idea.

I can’t see this ending anytime soon.

Self isolating is certainly slowing the rate of infection and allowing time to prepare for what’s coming, but this could take a few years, never mind months to be eradicated.

A vaccine is a game changer of course.
So.. you predict that the EU will break up, but don't know when...
As for the UK being able to print money, this will lead to hyper inflation and with no trade deals globally, no markets to sell it's products too, and no supply chains in place, they can print all the money they want.. it won't make any difference. The UK is facing 2 unprecedented storms at the same time, and as we saw with Brexit the cost of carrying NI will likely become an issue again.. the combined impact may lead to a unstoppable momentum on both sides for the UK to leave Ireland

silverharp

General medical testing may come on in leaps and bounds in the future so that would be a big positive. If a more serious pandemic was to occur in the next 10 or 15 years, the world would be better prepared.

it might prioratise how we spend our wealth as individual and countries
what is the most important in life ? flying avery second weekend for leisure and holidays or so call busines meeting or maybe spending a bit more in ealth
and walking to your local vegt shop coffe shop or restaurant

de valera's' giddy goat

An Irish national health service with everything free from the point of entry, no low paid worker who is ill afraid to visit a GP because that €50+ is the week's grocery money gone. Banish the two tier system and private medical insurance for good

People in isolated communities not having to worry about their local post office/garda station etc shutting down for cost saving measures. These are vital public services, money shouldn't come into it.

Logistical supply chains being at home or closer to home. The fact people are applauding China for selling us a quarter billions worth of safety gear which will likely go to half a billion or more is bewildering. A factory in Leitrim or Cavan or on the Aran Islands should be able to make the same stock and we should be supporting these companies even if the cost will be treble what the Chinese will charge.

More people supporting their local credit union by opening current and savings accounts.

Respect of service industry workers i.e. supermarkets, takeaways. I admit I took them for granted before this, no more. Make sure to thank them when you deal with them, I did with my checkout cashier this morn for working under such pressurised conditions.

An honest debate on the direction of the European Union, does it need to change structurally etc. Will Italy begin to get Itexit notions

Top Bottom