• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

"The Lost Revolution: A History of the OIRA and Workers Party"

Lao-Tse

Apparently, Brian Hanley and Scott Millar's book, "The Lost Revolution" on the history of the WP is being published tomorrow. Given there are hardly any
books on the WP, this should be interesting.

netron

netron

It's on Amazon too

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Revolution-Story-Official-Workers/dp/1844881202/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251633010&sr=8-1]The Lost Revolution: The Story of the Official IRA and the Workers' Party: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Hanley, Scott Millar: Books[/ame]

with some info about the authors:

"Brian Hanley is a lecturer in Irish history at the Queen's University, Belfast, and the author of A Guide to Irish Military Heritage and The IRA 1926–1936. Scott Millar is a journalist with the Irish Examiner."

netron

netron

borntorum

I just read the Sunday Times article, it bears out the longstanding allegations and rumours about SFWP influence in RTE during the 70s and 80s.

The article suggests that Joe Mulholland was strongly sympathetic to SFWP, although he did not become a member of the party.

I wonder if Eoghan Harris will have any response to this book?
I read it too. It should be thrown back in Harris' face every time he lectures the Provos or anybody else about democracy. The man is a fraud

Prester Jim

Pretty shocking but unsurprising stuff. I liked the bit where they said that Harris and his pals in the OIRA were let through RUC roadbloacks and were to be let alone as far as their criminal activities in the north.
It really does give a hint to how dangerous (while a buffoon) Harris would have been if he actually had real power, his opportunism and ruthlessness (within the limited power he had, blacklisting nationalist or green journalists and ruining careers) have shades of a mini clownishStalin.
A bit hyperbolic I admit, but that is the feeling I get off him.
Why is he taken seriously by anyone?

Prester Jim

I read it too. It should be thrown back in Harris' face every time he lectures the Provos or anybody else about democracy. The man is a fraud
Yes, most of the activities he geysers about were carried out by his mates, knew he was a hypocrite but this has magnified it nicely.
The intimidation and threats to nationalist or just normal journalists such as Cronin...
he can never speak again about men of violence again. of course morality and ethics mean nothing to him so that won't stop him.

Cogadh

I wonder if Eoghan Harris will have any response to this book?
Probably only the usual that it's all the sinister work of provo and crypto-provo green fascists who don't speak out of their arses (sorry, speak with 'good authority') to some (crudely stereotyped and entirely fictional) 'tribe' with added irrelevant references to Aristotle and Plato for the highbrow among us. :lol:

The Sunday Times actually has a good picture of Harris looking like the fascist cúnt he undoubtedly is.

Also don't know why the book is going to be titled 'the Lost Revolution', surely the history of the Workers Party was that any 'revolution' - in their terms - was impossible rather than missed or 'lost'.

Lao-Tse

Wow. Pretty amazing revealations about RTE there.

I wonder will the book have information on what the OIRA are doing nowadays,
and where Harris got his anti-nationalist ideology from?

netron

that was part of the wider Cold War context. Western media infiltration by Marxists. Didnt just happen in Ireland.

Probably stems from when OIRA and PIRA were shooting each other. Was a very very bitter period. Even to this day the "stickies" and "provos" have utter disdain for each other.

Breadan O'Connor

Not really amazing!

Some of these allegations, particularly their influence in RTE, have been around for a long time, even contained in Harris' wikipedia biography Eoghan Harris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you may know, Sean Garland is still facing extradition to the US on charges that the Official IRA was involved in counterfeiting of US currency.

Back in 1983, the Gardai uncovered a counterfiting operation in WP headquarters in Dublin.

One party member, Brian Lynch from Cork, went on the run as a result.

netron

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies