• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The lunatics are running the asylum

Disillusioned democrat

I think it's fair to say, without fear of contradiction, that this week makes it official that the lunatics are running the asylum. If it wasn't for the election of a new pope, even RTE might have had to deal with this fact.

This week a number of things happened that finally eliminate any sense of well-being I retained about the future of this state.

1 - a TD gets to decide he has no case to answer after trying to score political points highlighting "corruption" among Gardai and then having to admit he sought and availed of said corruption
2 - his tax defaulting stable mate, while sucking on the tax payers teat, tells us it's okay, because we all make mistakes
3- the government celebrate putting the current and future tax payer €5bn more in debt as if it's some kind of achievement as opposed to a recognition by the "markets" that Ireland would rather drive it's own citizens to suicide that to default on debt
4 - the government decides that people in mortgage arrears are more important than high earning tax payers, so prefer to tax more to pay the debts of "struggling" mortgage holders

It's just insane....our leaders have no moral authority over us, but continually demonstrate complete contempt for us and any fair system of justice and natural law.

cathalrh

Putting lunatics in charge of the asylum is a time-honoured human tradition. Our mythologies carry more than a taste of schizophrenia and temporal lobe epilepsy, while our societies maintain a leadership niche for intelligent individuals with borderline narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders.

Accept this and move on. Our "leaders" will never have moral authority. They're humans making decisions. Humans are not disinterested decision makers and you should expect corruption when a human is given power over other humans.

Rather then wasting our lives in a perpetual miasma of confusion and disappointment, lets expect humans to act like humans have historically acted and update our models accordingly.

Mitsui2

I think it's fair to say, without fear of contradiction, that this week makes it official that the lunatics are running the asylum.
You're late to the party. If there's one single thing on which I suspect the majority of p.ie posters by and large agree, it's the fact that the lunatics have been running that particular asylum for a very long time indeed.

statsman

Disappointment central; I was sure this was going to be another anti-Mods thread.

Disillusioned democrat

Putting lunatics in charge of the asylum is a time-honoured human tradition. Our mythologies carry more than a taste of schizophrenia and temporal lobe epilepsy, while our societies maintain a leadership niche for intelligent individuals with borderline narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders.

Accept this and move on. Our "leaders" will never have moral authority. They're humans making decisions. Humans are not disinterested decision makers and you should expect corruption when a human is given power over other humans.

Rather then wasting our lives in a perpetual miasma of confusion and disappointment, lets expect humans to act like humans have historically acted and update our models accordingly.
We're all humans, but if I pulled that kind of sh1t at work I'd be out the door in a flash.

I think we expect too little from our politicians, but also they've built up structures that makes it impossible to impeach them. A tax defaulter in receipt of a state income....seriously? Someone who's availed of illegal services to have penalty points eliminated sitting in the states legislature....really? A state that celebrates NOT being able to live within it's means....a policy to mug Peter to pay off Paul's mortgage....is that even LEGAL?

Where do we get to shout stop?

shiel

The lunatic shtuff did not start this week.

The country was bankrupted some time back.

Nor is it confined to this country or even these threads.

All we can do is hope that our institutional inertia does not stop us from keeping up with the game.

Neither the people in charge of the country nor these threads give me much optimism on the latter point.