• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The many sides of Eamon Gilmore's mouth: none to be trusted.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Eamon Gilmore, November, 2011, on the subject of banks passing on ECB interest rate cuts:

Following the meeting between AIB, members of the Government and the Economic Management Council, the board of AIB has decided to implement a 0.25% interest rate cut to its variable rate mortgages,” AIB said.

The lenders had been warned that the Government was prepared to force their hand with tough new consumer laws and was awaiting advice from the Financial Regulator Matthew Elderfield.

“The reason the European Central Bank introduced that reduction is not so the banks could pocket it but so they could pass it on,” Mr Gilmore said.

A report on options for new banking laws to enforce ECB rates is expected quickly, the Tanaiste said.

“This is about taking action, it’s not about words,” Mr Gilmore said.

Mr Gilmore said there was no ambiguity about the Government’s position.

“The Government was very clear with the banks about our wish and determination that the interest rate will be passed to the customer,” he said.

“We made it clear to the them that if that does not happen the question of legislation is something the Government will consider.”
AIB forced into u-turn on interest rate cut | Irish Examiner

Eamon Gilmore, February 2013, on a SF suggestion that government intervene in relation to future rate rises:

He said that Mr Gilmore should call in the management of state-owned bank AIB to get them to halt a planned interest hike on variable rate mortgages.

But Mr Gilmore accused Sinn Fein of only being interested in scoring “political hits” rather than caring about the people who were struggling with mortgages.

Eamon Gilmore criticises banks for failing to help people in mortgage distress - Independent.ie

Eamon Gilmore, 25 April, 2013:

“The announcement by AIB that it is increasing the standard variable mortgage rate and a similar announcement by EBS is of course bad news for mortgageholders, there is no doubt but…that is a commercial decision that is made by those two institutions,” he told the Dáil under questioning from Opposition.

Gilmore rejects calls to intervene in AIB rate hike - Consumer News & Advice | Pricewatch, Money Advice | The Irish Time - Thu, Apr 25, 2013

Eamon Gilmore is either a liar or utterly incompetent. Perhaps both?

Why would anybody believe a word out of his mouth?

Socratus O' Pericles

The man is a ferocious liar ..........worse than most.

The OD

Eamon Gilmore is either a liar or utterly incompetent. Perhaps both?
It's possible to be both. He certainly comes across as being incredibly stupid as soon as he doesn't have a script in front of him and the faux outrage he continuously uses is laughable. He is quite literally one of the most pathetic examples of humanity I have ever seen in a government.

His only real achievement is letting people know that Labour are most directionless and irrelevant party in the Dail.

Ren84

A hypocrite of the highest order. He's been shown up for the lying eejit he is. One bright side to all this is that the people many finally choose to bury the party of the Cruiser and Stickies once and for all. I look forward to seeing them become the next Progressive Democrats. :)

gerhard dengler

I've never voted Labour in my life, so my conscience is clear.

Gilmore is Ahern-like in his lies and mendacity.

Rabbitte and Quinn are not far behind him in terms of those "qualities".

This government resemble more and more the Fianna Fail/Green government.

ShoutingIsLeadership

It's possible to be both. He certainly comes across as being incredibly stupid as soon as he doesn't have a script in front of him and the faux outrage he continuously uses is laughable. He is quite literally one of the most pathetic examples of humanity I have ever seen in a government.

His only real achievement is letting people know that Labour are most directionless and irrelevant party in the Dail.
Worse than that, Labour is damaging left wing politics.

Ren84

I've never voted Labour in my life, so my conscience is clear.

Gilmore is Ahern-like in his lies and mendacity.

Rabbitte and Quinn are not far behind him in terms of those "qualities".

This government resemble more and more the Fianna Fail/Green government.
I'm ashamed to say I gave my second preference to Labour in the last GE. Never again though.

Although in fairness the Labour candidate I gave a preference to, Willie Penrose, walked away from the coalition, to his credit.

RobertW

I remember when Gilmore was looking to form a Government with FG after the Feb 2011 election.

A meeting of the Labour Party was called to vote on the issue (in the RDS I think)

Gilmore played the subdued look . . . Trying to appear statesmanlike whilst also trying to appear not to desperate or needy to enter government (where he most definitely was).

In his speech to the Labour Party he stated (and I'm going from memory here):

"Some people in the LP think we shouldn't go into Government and build in opposition for the next five years. The person struggling with their mortgage now can't wait five years"

The Labour fateful loved the soundbite. . . With huge applause.

Remember thinking. . ."what a spoofer. Using those in mortgage distress to obtain power"

Nothing would surprise me about Gilmore or the rest of the LP leadership.

As regards accusing SF of "political point scoring" . . . Someone should show Gilmore tapes of himself in opposition. He was the epitomy of political point scoring to the point of almost jumping up and down in faux-outrage on the opposition benches.

Cato

I'm ashamed to say I gave my second preference to Labour in the last GE. Never again though.

Although in fairness the Labour candidate I gave a preference to, Willie Penrose, walked away from the coalition, to his credit.
On a parish pump issue rather than one of national policy. Meh!

chippie

Twitter
IrishEconFacts
Gilmore is a complete spoofer, the OP only goes to highlight that again. He is not even intelligent enough to lie well and have a veneer or honesty. How people like him were able to get to the top of their parties explains why ireland is such a mess. I never have/nor will vote Labour but if I did I would be bitterly disappointed with what I got in return for my vote.

Plebian

On a parish pump issue rather than one of national policy. Meh!
He didn't so much walk away, more like he went for a show stroll until he could sneak back in on the quiet.

Analyzer

Gimmemore is a first class hypocrite.

In fact the only consistent element in the Stickies is the hypocrisy.

Therefore, they are also liars.