• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Mario Rosenstock Show

Marcos the black

Mario's new show starts tonight on rte 2 at 21:30.
I'm looking forward to it. Mario is a great satirist and I like his Gift Grub slot on Today FM. I haven't seen any content from it yet, just heard about the scene with Ming in it.. Supposed to be very funny.
Will you watch it? Do you expect much from it?

FloatingVoterTralee

Should be top quality alright - it's easy for comedians to do impressions, but the key difference is that Mario manages to perfectly capture his characters' personalities and mannerisms in his scripts, which is why Gift Grub has lasted for 13 years, and easily elevates it above its rivals.

statsman

I really, really, really dislike impressionists.

Marcos the black

I really, really, really dislike impressionists.
I think if you take them as a bit of fun they can be quite good, and Mario is one of the best of them.
But if you want to get into the satire function of it while he is very good I actually think that he is one of the reasons why Bertie was so popular and lasted so long, in spite of the information coming out about him. Through Gift Grub Mario presented him as a lovable rogue.. Someone who was a "cute hoor" but was great fun etc.. For a lot of Irish people at the time this became the view they held about Bertie.. In my opinion.

statsman

Do you resent them making a career out of it?

Do you do impressions yourself?
I find it the least funny branch of comedy and would never inflict an impression on anyone.

bob3367

I find it the least funny branch of comedy and would never inflict an impression on anyone.
Savage eye?, whilst not a true impressionist show, is quare funny...

ScreeOrTalus

I agree, but I've always done impressions, mainly of film characters and sportsmen.

constitutionus

going out with the blonde tonight and hoping to get me leg over so sorry mario, but its streaming on the player later on in the week for me !

:D

President Bartlet

He is good but I do think that Oliver Callan is better and more accurate- Callan's Enda, Vincent Browne and Michael D.Higgins are especially better than Rosenstock's.

Like all RTE impression shows it wont last that long.

carlovian

He is good but I do think that Oliver Callan is better and more accurate- Callan's Enda, Vincent Browne and Michael D.Higgins are especially better than Rosenstock's.

Like all RTE impression shows it wont last that long.
Really ?

I always think Callan is a bit wooden, think Rosentock has better material as well.