The Meaning of Life

Irish-Rationalist

An existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life; whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value. This issue of the meaning and purpose of existence continues to fascinate and perturb philosophers, geologists, theologians and varied social scientists.

Viktor Frankl was an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist as well as a Holocaust survivor. During his time in the concentration camps he developed a philosophy of life; that there is no meaning to life, other than the meaning we give to life by what we choose to do with our lives.

His philosophy was shaped by witnessing how some concentration camp internees submissively lay down and didn't resist Nazi brutality, whereas others with a defiant and resilient spirit rebelled; refusing to permit their survivalist instinct to be quelled by their Nazi oppressors.

One of his famous quotes:

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms - to choose ones attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

Have you ever thought about the meaning of life? Specifically, have you ever thought about the meaning of your own life? Or do careerist aspirations and the pursuit of financial and material well-being consume your every waking hour?

Are you too busy being an unthinking social conformist and pursuing a career, doing the 9 to 5, getting married, being a wage-slave, having progeny, paying your taxes, paying your bills, and docilely standing in line and obeying the law to realise that your life is little more than a monotonous, repetitious, daily routine?

You may be financially secure, but do you even have what could be considered a life?

What is the meaning of your life other than eat, sleep, work, repeat?

drummed

The holocaust that never happened you mean?

This is Politics.ie you know!

Otherwise its a good question. I'm glad you asked me that.

Gurdiev77

only someone posting from jail could have time enough for this sort of thing .

toughbutfair

There is no meaning. Find as much happiness as you can and die with as few regrets as possible.

gerhard dengler

Each and every person who has existed, will continue to exist forever

If you accept this premise, how you live in this life will determine your eternal fate when this life ceases.

That is the meaning of life.

Cruimh

You look after moo cows and provide us with healthy and pure Irish Milk, albeit from immigrant moo cows.

You are a valued and valuable member of society, whose vote will be eagerly fought over by FF and FG, the farmers' friends.

Last edited:

GDPR

If you accept this premise, how you live in this life will determine your eternal fate when this life ceases.

True but what gives life its sense of purpose now? I would answer relative love, truth, justice and beauty; ultimately I think only those in an Absolute sense can give an Absolute purpose to existence.

redhead

Well don't be afraid to experiment, you know, go ahead and implement your ideas, your notions, don't be afraid to put them in motion...

between the bridges

Thon Meaning of Life

Irish-Rationalist

I'm glad you answered.

Irish-Rationalist

only someone posting from jail could have time enough for this sort of thing .
Society is jail. Your mind is jail. Everyone, regardless of location, is posting from their own private jail.

Irish-Rationalist

Is that a hamster?
Is this a crafty dig at their Modlinesses?

You look after moo cows and provide us with healthy and pure Irish Milk, albeit from immigrant moo cows.

You are a valued and valuable member of society, whose vote will be eagerly fought over by FF and FG, the farmers' friends.
Always on topic.

redhead

Society is jail. Your mind is jail. Everyone, regardless of location, is posting from their own private jail.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell; a hell of heaven." - Milton

Irish-Rationalist

There is no meaning. Find as much happiness as you can and die with as few regrets as possible.
"My philosophy of life is quite simple; drink booze and feck biatches". ~ Pope Benedict XVI.

statsman

An existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life; whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value. This issue of the meaning and purpose of existence continues to fascinate and perturb philosophers, geologists, theologians and varied social scientists.

Viktor Frankl was an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist as well as a Holocaust survivor. During his time in the concentration camps he developed a philosophy of life; that there is no meaning to life, other than the meaning we give to life by what we choose to do with our lives.

His philosophy was shaped by witnessing how some concentration camp internees submissively lay down and didn't resist Nazi brutality, whereas others with a defiant and resilient spirit rebelled; refusing to permit their survivalist instinct to be quelled by their Nazi oppressors.

One of his famous quotes:

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms - to choose ones attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

Have you ever thought about the meaning of life? Specifically, have you ever thought about the meaning of your own life? Or do careerist aspirations and the pursuit of financial and material well-being consume your every waking hour?

Are you too busy being an unthinking social conformist and pursuing a career, doing the 9 to 5, getting married, being a wage-slave, having progeny, paying your taxes, paying your bills, and docilely standing in line and obeying the law to realise that your life is little more than a monotonous, repetitious, daily routine?

You may be financially secure, but do you even have what could be considered a life?

What is the meaning of your life other than eat, sleep, work, repeat?

'What is the meaning of life?' is one of those pointless questions we plague ourselves with. May as well ask 'what is the meaning of rock?' Life is, we are, enjoy it, it doesn't need a meaning.

Or, if you prefer, 42.

Irish-Rationalist

That, my dear chap, is religious poppycock and balderdash.

Pop the pointy hat on and go and sit in the corner.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies