The meaning of life

ruserious

There is no meaning. We are the result of nature. An unbelievable, unlikely phenomenon but that doesn't mean there has to be a meaning.

Go out and enjoy life. Spend your time with friends and family instead of the office. Take a few sick days when your sick. Eat well. Be healthy. And the rest will fall into place.

GDPR

There is no meaning. We are the result of nature. An unbelievable, unlikely phenomenon but that doesn't mean there has to be a meaning.

Go out and enjoy life. Spend your time with friends and family instead of the office. Take a few sick days when your sick. Eat well. Be healthy. And the rest will fall into place.
You have been to a life/work balance workshop, havent you? The civil service is great for those.

DavidCaldwell

I am trying to argue that the same process that causes us to exist causes our existence to have meaning and value (to us).

Zapslaststand

Twitter
@daxxdrake
Aint no meaning, but YouTube has gladdened the old age of this poster......:cool:

[video=youtube;LVOqDMYWoDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVOqDMYWoDA[/video]

DavidCaldwell

Aint no meaning, but YouTube has gladdened the old age of this poster......:cool:
Perhaps I should have given the link that prompted me to start the thread.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/jordan-peterson-outlines-four-reasons-to-choose-life/news-story/ab9b45004171a6ff5927c80fded44ee5

Saying that there is no meaning to life becomes a problem if there is someone who asks, as this person did,

I plan on taking my own life very soon. Why shouldn’t I?

GDPR

Perhaps I should have given the link that prompted me to start the thread.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/jordan-peterson-outlines-four-reasons-to-choose-life/news-story/ab9b45004171a6ff5927c80fded44ee5

Saying that there is no meaning to life becomes a problem if there is someone who asks, as this person did,
You dont prevent someone from committing suicide by having long vapid discussions on Pie about how life is meaningful.

You go and talk directly to that person and see if you can help them.

DavidCaldwell

You dont prevent someone from committing suicide by having long vapid discussions on Pie about how life is meaningful.

You go and talk directly to that person and see if you can help them.
If you follow the link, you will see that the question was posed anonymously to Jordan Peterson and all he could do was give his thoughts somewhat in the matter of a posting here. Fortunately, it seemed to work and the person later replied

Hey dr. Peterson. It's Chad. You read my serious question tonight at the lecture. I just want you to know that you may have diverted me onto a different path. I am probably going to check myself into a hospital tomorrow night. Thank you.

GDPR

If you follow the link, you will see that the question was posed anonymously to Jordan Peterson and all he could do was give his thoughts somewhat in the matter of a posting here. Fortunately, it seemed to work and the person later replied
Basically anyone who paid attention to someone who was suicidal could divert them. Thats why Samaritans was set up. Doesnt mean they have the answer to the meaning of life.

For heavens sake, the major suicide risk is the spontaneous act. No prior discussion, no reaching out to anyone. Google Anthony Bourdain.

truthisfree

Going by your avatar that has not been working out so good for you..:p

DavidCaldwell

Basically anyone who paid attention to someone who was suicidal could divert them. Thats why Samaritans was set up. Doesnt mean they have the answer to the meaning of life.

For heavens sake, the major suicide risk is the spontaneous act. No prior discussion, no reaching out to anyone. Google Anthony Bourdain.
Peterson made the remark

If you’re religious, maybe your life belongs to a higher power. Or if your not religious, maybe it belongs to your loved ones or some greater cause.
That got me thinking about how the ideas of science and evolution seem to me to be telling us that our lives are part of a higher process - that of life, that of evolution. These ideas (which do not in any form originate from me) provide to me an answer to the meaning of life, and a good one. So I am arguing that it is not just the religious who should believe that our lives are part of a higher process, but anyone who has reason to believe that science is improving our understanding of reality - i.e. everyone.

stopdoingstuff

The meaning of life is accompaniment. That is it in essence- accompanying each other through it all for no reason other than we love each other and were made to do so. This is why consumerism and urban anonymity make people feel so empty. If people want to add a God to that, then so be it. Functionally it is almost the exact same thing- realization of the self through connection to others.

johnnypockets

For me, life is about making the time spent here worthwhile. To have as few regrets as possible about wasting the most precious of commodities. Spending time on p.ie flies in the face of this...

GDPR

The meaning of life is accompaniment. That is it in essence- accompanying each other through it all for no reason other than we love each other and were made to do so. This is why consumerism and urban anonymity make people feel so empty. If people want to add a God to that, then so be it. Functionally it is almost the exact same thing- realization of the self through connection to others.
Says a guy who never grew up in rural poverty...

DavidCaldwell

The purpose of life is to fully inflate. It is to achieve more than we think ourselves capable of, to go beyond whatever limitations we believe the universe imposes, the purpose of life above all is be able to say one day, this thing, this achievement, this event that has happened, whatever it is, this is beyond our wildest dreams. The purpose of life is one day to say, and mean it, that this really is beyond our wildest dreams
Change your timescale. Think of one hundred generations, ten thousand generations. During that time, we evolve, we become better humans (and dolphins become better dolphins etc). This achievement is "beyond our wildest dreams" and it rests on our ordinary lives and loves and the successive generations (whether or not they are your direct descendants, they share your genes).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies